Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The earth hides truths which make us reconsider

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The earth hides truths which make us reconsider
July 18, 2018 03:35AM
At the risk of making a “bald link” - I offer this. I find it useful to have my brain scrambled with new information which challenges my preconceived notions....and so - this

[nypost.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Re: The earth hides truths which make us reconsider
July 18, 2018 10:47AM
Misleading photo of fake helmet.

There is no evidence to suggest that Viking helmets ever had horns. That myth was created in the 19th century.

The warrior princess idea seems a little far fetched. Some writers love to jump to conclusions that reflect the sentiment of modern times. I doubt the archaeologists will ever be able to prove who the person was and what role he/she played.

I wouldn't give any credence to those kind of articles that are surrounded by ads and wacky links.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2018 11:33AM by Badger in NH.
July 18, 2018 12:38PM
Absolutely right about the helmet picture - it is nothing to do with the burial and Viking helmets didn’t have horns.

That’s what’s wrong with “bald” links I guess, I should have pointe out the link to the actual Stockholm University article

[www.eurekalert.org]

Rick Kempf
July 18, 2018 02:02PM
Maybe the "Trans" movement began earlier than we thought??
July 18, 2018 05:01PM
I am ssseeeooo sorry, but the New York Post has gone the way of tabloid journalism in recent decades . Eg.: the like of the National Enquirer and that type ilk. So I'm not going to put any stock into that. And this article reeks of a feminist agenda slant, fantasy, etc.... ( Gloria Steinem would be proud, eh ? ).
July 18, 2018 06:06PM
Come on, we live in an age of fake news and a side of it is people make money by having people open pages not telling truth. Using a fake image to set up interest in a story is mild today. How often do we get a total fake out like a story on recently deceased actors headed with a picture of someone who is not dead and people read the whole thing to see what happened only to get to the end and no mention of that individual? Its all about the 'cha-ching", well and propaganda. Political crap to tease those voyeurs who revel on dirt about those they hate is oh so effective. Fishermen have always be willing to use any bait as long as it catches fish. Remember to keep your worms warm!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 18, 2018 07:09PM
The post story is basically just a summary of the article they link to. The helmet picture is fake, the gender of the buried individual was determined by genetic tests.

Rick Kempf
July 18, 2018 07:13PM
Pasttom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Come on, we live in an age of fake news and a side
> of it is people make money by having people open p
> ages not telling truth. Using a fake image to set
> up interest in a story is mild today. How often d
> o we get a total fake out like a story on recently
> deceased actors headed with a picture of someone w
> ho is not dead and people read the whole thing to
> see what happened only to get to the end and no me
> ntion of that individual? Its all about the 'cha-
> ching", well and propaganda. Political crap to te
> ase those voyeurs who revel on dirt about those th
> ey hate is oh so effective. Fishermen have always
> be willing to use any bait as long as it catches f
> ish. Remember to keep your worms warm!

Good post Past-tom. And to complicate matters more: If/when you go to "diss" something like this as "fake news", guess what the proponents will do next ? They search the article and find some indisputable true fact in there. Eg.: a name, or a date, or an event, or discovery, etc.... And will point out to you the truth of that factoid. The poor skeptic is left chasing his tail to try to disprove that (he's fallen for the "bait"). As if this somehow means: "Therefore the conclusion" (or rest of the claims, etc...) are true.

I've seen this psychology over and over with the treasure-legend crowd (the type that put stock into the lost mines or dutchman or yamashita, etc....). If a skeptic like you says "fake news" or "ghost story", the faithful will quickly point you to various parts of the story that are true. The trouble they are not realizing, is that ALL fake news and ALL treasure legends have "kernals of truth" in them . Eg.: a skeleton was found, blah blah . But the real question is "does that necessarily lead to their desired conclusions?"
July 18, 2018 08:36PM
OK, fake news exists, so does “clickbait” BS to get you to click through 12 screens of crud to find out that the former child actress does not, in fact, look like a hyena today.

The original link which I posted was to a fairly innocuous brief summary - of a press report of actual scientific research - spoiled by a stupid pic of a fake Viking helmet.

If anybody is still interested, here’s what I should have done in the first place.

Interesting development concerning Viking warrior grave from 10th century. The grave was excavated in the 19th century but new genetic tests on the skeleton reveal that this classic warrior burial was of a WOMAN warrior.

[www.eurekalert.org]

All of which goes to support my opinion that “bald” links are a pain. It further demonstrates that I can be a lazy as the next guy.

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2018 08:54PM by lytle78.
July 18, 2018 09:16PM
" lazy as the next guy."
Interesting choice of words.
Next implies you were first therefore did something the other guy didn't , making you somehow , less lazy.
July 18, 2018 09:25PM
No, not really - just an old phrase - “*****as the next guy”. Insert your adjective of choice.

[en.m.wiktionary.org]

If someone wants to read some other meaning into it - well

Rick Kempf
July 18, 2018 10:03PM
Zena had pair.
July 19, 2018 06:15PM
My post was a generic rant and not tied to the original link beyond a mild grouse that an academic article would have a 'Hollywood' photo over it. I seem to have had a small reserve of Adrenalin triggered from 'fake news' overload. eye rolling smiley

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 19, 2018 08:01PM
PT - I understood it as you meant it - my follow up was just in case anybody thought that this was perhaps just clickbait or that the science behind the recent investigation was somehow “fake news” - my last post was in no way a reaction to yours.

Cheers, until humans evolve beyond gender. Lol

Rick Kempf