Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

tips for hunting iron with the Equinox 800.

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
tips for hunting iron with the Equinox 800.
July 19, 2018 03:41PM
Tips from my experience with the Equinox.tips for the Equinox.
Re: tips for hunting iron with the Equinox 800.
July 19, 2018 03:42PM
I thought you dumped the Nox???

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 19, 2018 03:57PM
No , I didnt dump it. It has a place in my arsenal. It compliments the deus well. The 6 inch coil is hitting the market now.
July 19, 2018 04:26PM
That's the one I'm waiting to hear a report on in the tough, iron infested relic arena (6" on E800).-----Bill Southern did a vid on that coil gold (nugget) hunting in Gold 1 mode.---Found tiny quail shot--so the sensitivity is there for gold hunting (with that coil).------Going to be very interesting to hear how it does in iron plagued old camps/ghost town type sites with high mineralization.calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No , I didnt dump it. It has a place in my arsenal
> . It compliments the deus well. The 6 inch coil is
> hitting the market now.
July 19, 2018 06:03PM
Yeah cant wait to get my hands on one.
July 19, 2018 06:16PM
Thanks for sharing Calabash.
July 19, 2018 09:23PM
Del,
The Nox can find bird shot with the 11" coil as well. The 6" will be great for getting in around the boulders and under brush where the little nugs hide. Both coils are quite sensitive.

Dean
July 19, 2018 11:13PM
bado1 Wrote:
> Del,
> The Nox can find bird shot with the 11" coil as we
> ll. The 6" will be great for getting in around the
> boulders and under brush where the little nugs hid
> e. Both coils are quite sensitive.
>
> Dean

Yeah, I'm sure it will Dean.----I was hunting an old park the other day with the 11" coil (Field 1, Sens. 20, Recovery speed 6, G.B. 0, iron bias 0 & in two tones..-----Got a good sounding/rounded hit coming in 17-18---one of those kind that makes you say to yourself "now what is that, I'm checking that one out"smiling smiley.----Ended up being a VERY small (round) silver piece with a loop on it--about half again the size of a quail shot.---That thing was around 4 inches deep, it must have been on someones necklace or bracelet from yrs. ago.----After that, I started really paying attention & digging those type of responses & came up with several more (minor) small pieces of jewelry at around the 3 inch level but not as small as that one.------But that small round silver piece--now that DID impress me--and at that depth for the size of the thing.---Yeah, the E800 & 11" coil is sensitiive & deep.---I've got about everything to learn on the E800 (got more questions than answers yet)--but it's fun trying.------And yeah, it sure does "DESPERATELY" need that 6" coil! grinning smiley------You'd play hell swinging that 11" in some of the sites I hunt up here with the tight sage, close rocks of different sizes, iron on top & buried.-----C'mon 6" coil---hurry up & get here!!winking smiley-------------Del
July 19, 2018 11:23PM
The Nox, hunting in iron.
The Nox likes to signal on iron more harsh sounding.
The signals that have the hollower sounding ping to them, I dig those.
Do I get fooled sometimes? Yep

And using horseshoe button to try a and discern (based on behavior) be careful. Nox can yield iron tone as it comes o off of an actual nonferrous target and there will be no ferrous there, rather a nonferrous object.
I thought it was mineral causing this, now I’m not so sure as I have spoken with Calabash and he’s witnessing this occasionally too and his soil is sugar for detecting.
Maybe just the high speed sampling where the detector is transitioning and the edge or orentarion of the object- Nox sees but can’t recognize as nonferrous.
Someone with a higher pay grade than me maybe can explain. Like NASA Tom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 11:24PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 20, 2018 02:28AM
I still wish Tom could comment on the NOX or even say when he can talk about it or say I can never say a word about it..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

July 27, 2018 05:08PM
The one thing you keep talking about is deep silver. Those coins are great to find but most of us hunt relics. The AT on relics that are about say 3-4 inches deep hits them all even mixed in with nails. Now on deeper targets maybe the AT does not do as well. So it would make sense to have a detector that can hit deep and shallow targets. Have you tested and compared detectors that way. I know depth is a big need for a lot of us because we are missing those coins and relics but hunting in nails and iron you don't need as much depth as you need to unmask targets. And your soil is way different than most soils. I would like to see the nox and the deus go head to head on a lot of targets. And the best way I think to do it is take a friend using one and you using the other and see if they both hit on undug targets..mark them and come back after about ten targets are found and then dig them. Maybe using a system of marking so you know if both hit or just one.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

July 27, 2018 06:58PM
I have tested it on those types of senarios too. It will unmask better with the 11 inch coil than the at will with a 5 x 8 coil. Its a great unmasker with the 11 . I will test the 6 here later today if my plans go right.
July 27, 2018 07:41PM
More interested in the deus and nox

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

July 28, 2018 07:10PM
thanks for your youtube video on the Nox 6 inch coil. Now I am seeing more clearly the value of having a well established target garden. One question how do you remember what is buried where? Good memory? Grid system?

john
July 28, 2018 07:22PM
maxxkatt Wrote:
> thanks for your youtube video on the Nox 6 inch co
> il. Now I am seeing more clearly the value of havi
> ng a well established target garden. One question
> how do you remember what is buried where? Good mem
> ory? Grid system?
>
> john

Have it "mapped out".----If you don't, you should have.----Enter it into your notebook or computer.-----When we established our large test bed years ago--the first thing my wife & I did was log everything into records (in detail)..-----Memories fade, records stay the same.
July 28, 2018 07:47PM
I had it wrote down and I need to map it again.