Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is it just me or does anyone else like a simple machine?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
March 11, 2017 01:23PM
I have been detecting over 25 years and have used tons of different detectors from all the manufacturers in the United States never have tried any from overseas. Anyways I have been looking back at when I started with a simple beep and dig all the way up to the Etrac. I now use a T2 classic and a Tesoro Mojave. I like machines that are simple to use. I've noticed a lot of the newer machines have way too many buttons and settings that can affect your detectors performance if not properly set just right which in turn makes me worry not knowing if I'm getting max performance out of a machine. I want my machines to not require a lot of fiddling and adjusting in order to get the performance that it's capable of it kind of takes the fun out of detecting if you're constantly twiddling with it. I was wondering if anyone else likes to keep things simple and don't have to have a PHD from Harvard in order to set up a detector.
Re: Is it just me or does anyone else like a simple machine?
March 11, 2017 02:53PM
I keep trying different detectors, but so far I'm most happy with my F75DST and Tesoro detectors. They're easy to use, super effective and are easy on the arm.

With the detecting that I do, I'd could do just fine and have all the bases covered with my F75, Vaquero, and Mojave. My new tone Golden µMax doesn't get much use anymore since the town that I live in just recently banned metal detecting. I've found enough gold rings with it at the nearby sports fields to more than pay for itself. Piss on them!

tabman
March 11, 2017 02:58PM
I think many of us like to keep it simple and have fun detecting so a basic detector of sorts is all many need.
But, how many of those with simple machines have more than one, two, three, four......? Because they are simple and they don't handle all the tasks.
Some manufactures are taking a different approach to help solve the multiple detector ownership thing. If they can build a detector that will cover most hunting types and situations,
then the buyer would not have to own multiple detectors. In order to do that the manufacturer has to build in as many options that allow the buyer to adjust the detector in many different ways.
For those who find the adjustments bewildering, then the owner can use the factory pre-set programs to get started. When the buyer feels comfortable they can do small adjustments to improve performance in a given situation.
This all comes down to taking the time to learn how to use a detector to its full potential, that takes time, a learning curve. The last highly program-able detector I had was the Russian AKA Berkut 5, wonderful detector, just not for the average person, you needed to be dedicated to it to fully understand what it can do and how to do it. Then it would surprise you.

I think Notka has gone the extra mile to build a detector that is capable of handling many hunting situations. With the help and input of many forum members ,asking what they wanted and the testors making sure the detector functions to what is wanted, producing a machine to market in record time is a big bonus. We are not getting any younger, can't wait another 10 years for a new fangled detector to come out. Look at the US manufactures time frames. They can't even give us what we want, it's what marketing thinks what we want they produce. The nice thing about the Impact is that it can be software updated in the future rather than having to buy the latest detector.
Saves us money and the manufacturer loses a sale, profit down the road, not many companies work like this. Think this does build a loyal brand following and a happy owner will more than likely buy a second product from the same manufacturer...........................word spreads, sales and profits go up.

In the end, if you want a simple turn on and go detectors with basic adjustments whether switches and knobs or digital with menus and push buttons, there are many to choose from.
For those that want more control of every aspect of detecting to meet most any challenges, conditions, Notka is trying to fill that need in a "Fast Track" way.
Like any such detector you can tune them mild or wild. Tune it as a Tesoro or a Etrac for example. Use the factory pre-set programs and know you have horse-power when ever your ready for it.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 11, 2017 03:06PM
I hate to hear that your detecting area got banned. Elected officials can turn in to butt holes after they get in office. In the area I live I have a ton of friends on Facebook and what not that votes in the town I'm from it's not a very big town. But if elected officials show their butt I let them know that I have some pull in the community and can and will get them voted out of office. Their attitudes do a 180 90% of the time.
March 11, 2017 03:10PM
I'm the same way 88.

High tech gadgets bring out my small bag of patience. If I have a computer problem, I rant and rave like a lunatic like the world is coming to an end. My wife has to calm me down and fix the problem, lol.

When I go detecting I want to find old coins....not the prep work. I use to check maps for locations of old properties and all that...I should get back to that but seems time is filled by other things and family.

My little bit of equipment is always in one spot for me to throw in the truck and get to the property and detect.

I don't own dozens of units and I don't want to learn dozens either, I just want to beam myself to the field, detect and find old coins. I rarely even clean my detectors...occasionally I'll wipe off the screen off if it gets too dirty. I don't do testing anymore either....I'll learn in the field and slowly.

Maybe my brain is getting lazy as I get older...I don't know. Could and most likely is the time factor, for the most part.

I'm a simple cuss, so 'simple' works better for me..............phew! I feel better now 88, thanks for that question. lol
March 11, 2017 03:14PM
I feel yeah Tabman. Of course I won't rant as Makes People upset it seems. But seen it coming long time Now.
But as far as Detectors I have Etrac and CZ-3D for now or as long as I stay in it. The Etrac I have just 4 Adjustments I made since day one and haven't touched it since they came out 6 or so Years ago. And CZ are simple enough to set up at 0 Disc. Sens. as High without falsing and GB. Thinking of adding a Non I.D. Visual Detector Like the Golden as nice to have at least one without TID. I think it forces You to Dig what a meter will talk You out of. But I am a Deep Coin Park Turf type Hunter with Mild ground. Others may have different needs.
March 11, 2017 03:19PM

It's not just you.
March 11, 2017 03:22PM
I went back to all analog when the Troy X5 came out. I had enough of digging through menus on digital devices when I can just thumb a knob on the fly with analog.
March 11, 2017 03:41PM
A complicated detector well learned can handle different situations but simple is the choice of many..
March 11, 2017 03:45PM
Thanks Ozzie for the reply at least I know I'm not the only simple minded fellow detectorist on here.
March 11, 2017 03:53PM
Harold the Etrac is about as high tech as I feel comfortable of doing. With it I ran two tone ferrous or I ran Bill S trashy park pattern. I tried a Whites XLT and it made my mind go bezerk with all the settings. Sandman I'm glad you joined us over here on Toms forum I used to keep up with you Tnet. Dan you're right but if I don't feel comfortable with tweaking a machine I'm either not going to get or I'm going to get rid of it quickly cause it takes away the fun factor for me anyways.
March 11, 2017 04:06PM
You should be prepared for each scenarios... simple machine can do it if you know all tips and tricks. I'm often using Spectra V3i, but I love to use my Deeptech Vista or Nautilus DMC IIBa... so I can choose right tool for right job.

But you have right you should concentrate on searching not machine setting. Few years ago, I was catch myself, that I'm standing in the middle of nowhere and I'm setting my XP Deus and I'm not hunting.... my team mates dig holes at this moment, so...

Other words choose what you love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 04:06PM by Shelton.
March 11, 2017 04:44PM
You are not alone. I get a good g b on my F 75LTD2 DST and I am good to go. And the same with my A T Pro. HH jim tn
March 11, 2017 04:55PM
Metal detectors are like women. 'Nuff said.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
March 11, 2017 04:57PM
I think I will stay with my cz-3d. Simple to set up and use and has found me many old coins in the 10yrs. I have had it.
March 11, 2017 05:12PM
Having recently bought my XL Pro from Harold I am thoroughly enjoying analog meter technology once again. It's tells a lot with the needle action that flashing numbers don't always communicate. On my truck I have a regular speedometer and an optional digital readout for the speed. I have shut off the digital readout. My Etrac is as complicated as I care to get and I don't mess with the settings now that I have it dialed in.
March 11, 2017 05:24PM
TabWhisperer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having recently bought my XL Pro from Harold I am
> thoroughly enjoying analog meter technology once a
> gain. It's tells a lot with the needle action tha
> t flashing numbers don't always communicate. On m
> y truck I have a regular speedometer and an option
> al digital readout for the speed. I have shut off
> the digital readout. My Etrac is as complicated a
> s I care to get and I don't mess with the settings
> now that I have it dialed in.

Glad You are enjoying it My Friend. She's a Beauty for sure.
March 11, 2017 06:58PM
I always end up with my CZ in my hand. I have had lots of units. My problem is sometimes I can't get out for a month or so. When the opportunity comes, I have to figure out which one of the units in the stable I want to use (CZ always comes with me). So then the night before I have to re-program my brain by taking the manual out so I can remember how to set it up for the field/environment I am going to hunt the next day. Sure, I can load up one of the canned programs and be on my way....but when things start to not go the way they should ( an area of EMI, high trash, minerals, salt, etc.) I have to be able to remember what menu to get to, what settings I have to adjust, etc.

So when my brain shuts down what do I do ? Walk back to the truck and get the CZ.

My hunting partner always comments 'I see you have the CZ again'.

I do love my E-Trac, Deus, V3i...but the CZ, MXT-Pro and Mojave simply things for me.
March 11, 2017 08:54PM
I like simple also...not all of us are technology experts, not as easy for some of us older folks in the hobby to grasp things fast like the younger phone stuck in ear generation.
You can't hug a computer kids get out and mingle.

Though it is likely a good thing but we have a choice for the most part what to buy..one thing that annoys me is the high price of certain pin pointers which are glorified cheap plastic stud finders..
March 11, 2017 09:48PM
I like it simple too. I always go back to my Tejon. I have 5 detectors and only 1 has a meter.

Rick
March 11, 2017 10:16PM
For single frequency VLF detector ID TID is only marketing gadget. It can't works right. With multi frequencies is possible, but you lost depth and speed for more signal processing.... with no ID you should dig it. And you dig it. With jumping ID you don't dig it. Because your watching jumping digits and brain don't listen sound anymore.
March 12, 2017 01:30AM
One person's "simple" detector is another person's complex detector. Whatever detector you've grown accustomed to using is the fall-back detector when struggling with something new. The make and model isn't important, only your perceived confidence using it.

In fact, once you've set a detector for the type of field usage you do, very little messing around is usually required. If you hit iron or junk metal, whatever mitigating techniques your detector has, and you've learned, will be instinctively how you handle it. Instinctive means it's a "simple" fix because you've learned over the years what to do. If you're still learning then it can appear "complex".

I've got the CTX set, the patterns and programs I use are set, there is very little left for it to be "complex". It's my "simple" detector because I've learned it well enough. Yet others I've heard say it is too complex. To me, it's just a turn-on-and-go detector. I suspect everyone would say the same about their favorite "simple" detector.

-Johnnyanglo
March 12, 2017 01:41AM
tabman Wrote:
> I keep trying different detectors, but so far I'm
> most happy with my F75DST and Tesoro detectors. Th
> ey're easy to use, super effective and are easy on
> the arm.
>
> With the detecting that I do, I'd could do just fi
> ne and have all the bases covered with my F75, Vaq
> uero, and Mojave. My new tone Golden µMax doesn't
> get much use anymore since the town that I live in
> just recently banned metal detecting. I've found e
> nough gold rings with it at the nearby sports fiel
> ds to more than pay for itself. Piss on them!
>
> tabman

Even on private property?

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
March 12, 2017 01:41AM
both my G2+ and R2 retain their settings on power off/on.....

so, both my machines are 'turn-on and go'.......and that's how I like it......no thinking allowed, lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 01:42AM by canslawhero.
March 12, 2017 02:03AM
supertraq Wrote:
> tabman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I keep trying different detectors, but so far I'
> m
> > most happy with my F75DST and Tesoro detectors.
> Th
> > ey're easy to use, super effective and are easy
> on
> > the arm.
> >
> > With the detecting that I do, I'd could do just
> fi
> > ne and have all the bases covered with my F75, V
> aq
> > uero, and Mojave. My new tone Golden µMax doesn'
> t
> > get much use anymore since the town that I live
> in
> > just recently banned metal detecting. I've found
> e
> > nough gold rings with it at the nearby sports fi
> el
> > ds to more than pay for itself. Piss on them!
> >
> > tabman
>
> Even on private property?

Most of the private properties that I detect are not loaded up with pull tabs and they don't have a high count of gold rings like the sports fields do. I mostly cherry pick with my F75DST for silver coins or dig it all with one of Tesoro detectors in hopes of finding a gold ring. I live in Germantown, but I do most all of my detecting in Memphis. Those little rich kids were losing some good jewelry on those soccer fields near where I live. Most of the sports fields and parks in Memphis are like the slums.

tabman
March 12, 2017 05:51AM
K.I.S.S.thumbs down
March 14, 2017 12:21AM
marcomo Wrote:
> K.I.S.S.thumbs down

AMEN BROTHA!!!!thumbs downgrinning smiley
March 14, 2017 01:21AM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
> One person's "simple" detector is another person's
> complex detector. Whatever detector you've grown a
> ccustomed to using is the fall-back detector when
> struggling with something new. The make and model
> isn't important, only your perceived confidence us
> ing it.
>
> In fact, once you've set a detector for the type o
> f field usage you do, very little messing around i
> s usually required. If you hit iron or junk metal,
> whatever mitigating techniques your detector has,
> and you've learned, will be instinctively how you
> handle it. Instinctive means it's a "simple" fix b
> ecause you've learned over the years what to do. I
> f you're still learning then it can appear "comple
> x".
>
> I've got the CTX set, the patterns and programs I
> use are set, there is very little left for it to b
> e "complex". It's my "simple" detector because I'v
> e learned it well enough. Yet others I've heard sa
> y it is too complex. To me, it's just a turn-on-an
> d-go detector. I suspect everyone would say the sa
> me about their favorite "simple" detector.
>
> -Johnnyanglo

That just about says it all thumbs down
March 14, 2017 01:48AM
That's the appeal of the T2-C.

powerful and quiet and SIMPLE to run..

I Actually like the non memory..that way I can quickly confirm my settings..20 seconds and I'm assured I'm set up accordingly..

Fresh system reboot every start-up

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 01:50AM by Keith Southern.
March 14, 2017 02:10AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> That's the appeal of the T2-C.
>
> powerful and quiet and SIMPLE to run..
>
> I Actually like the non memory..that way I can qui
> ckly confirm my settings..20 seconds and I'm assur
> ed I'm set up accordingly..
>
> Fresh system reboot every start-up
>
>
> Keith

Yeah, I like that to Keith.----Keeps me from screwing up a simple machine!!winking smiley------I'm glad I let you guys "talk me into it" getting this T2C!!------Seriously---I think it is making a great "compliment" to our F-19/G2's.-----What with those detectors, the Etracs--and--our neat little Tesoros----hey---life IS GOOD!! (huh Morgan)thumbs down