Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

early air test compare equinox 6 inch to 11 inch coil

Posted by maxxkatt 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
early air test compare equinox 6 inch to 11 inch coil
July 25, 2018 08:02PM
Here is my air test on the Equinox 800 comparing the 11 inch stock coil to the 6” coil.
Did a factory reset and set sensitivity to 21, recovery speed to 6. Iron bias of 6.

Setup and methods: I set the coils on an all plastic child’s picnic table to eliminate any metal. Swept the table to determine there were no metal objects in the table.
Use a yard stick butted up against the base of the coil. My depth measurements were taken when the TID numbers for each metal object started going from a strong signal to an iffy signal. My hand sweep was done to replicate the normal sweep of a coil passing from left to right and back over the metal object.

I am a relic hunter mainly interested in Civil War items and only had three three ringers to test along with some silver coins. The results below are only for the .57 caliber. Not much difference in the slightly smaller calibers.
Below are just some preliminary tests and not the whole combinations of different items on all different hunting modes.

6” coil
.57 caliber bullet at 4 inches rang up a 19 in the park1 mode.
.57 caliber bullet at 5.5 inches rang up 16-19 in the park2 mode.
.57 caliber bullet at 6.5 inches rang up 16 in the gold2 mode.

11” coil
.57 caliber bullet at 8 inches rang up a 16 in the park2 mode.
.57 caliber bullet at 10 inches rang up 16 in the gold2 mode.

6” coil
Standing liberty quarter 4.5 inches rang up 29 in park2 mode.
Barber dime 3 inches rang up 21-22 in park1 mode
Barber dime 6 inches rang up 22 in park2 mode

11” coil
Standing liberty quarter 10 inches rang up 25 in gold2 mode.
Barber dime 7 inches rang up 21-22 in park2 mode.
Barber dime 8.5 inches rang up 21 in gold2 mode.
Re: early air test compare equinox 6 inch to 11 inch coil
July 25, 2018 08:35PM
Just wondering why you would have your iron bias set at 6. Wouldn't that effect depth?
July 25, 2018 09:00PM
Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wondering why you would have your iron bias s
> et at 6. Wouldn't that effect depth?

Iron bias won't really affect depth, rather your ability to detect an object. But recovery speed will affect it. Higher recovery speed = less depth. In my tests I couldn't find a situation where higher recovery speed was better, even when my good target was surrounded by iron. It did help to separate better but I still couldn't use that to my advantage in my environment at all (ie the beach)

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
July 25, 2018 09:40PM
I wouldn't doubt the new coil does indeed have potential for great power?

It's such a concentrated sphere so all the usable coil winding diameter can really 'dig deep' in a sharp and focused beam!

Years ago, the X-Terra's small coils really surprised me at the depth they found single high conductor coinage! Seven from ten, the coin was 'deeper' than the horse shoe flap holes dug!

Explorer's small 8" was also deep!

CTX's small coil didn't impress on depth: it was separation that impressed here. Often found 2 or 3 single items "layered in soil" in dug holes.

However, all of that aside, the EQ6.0, could signal a US quarter deeper than a similar depth US nickel? I'm thinking its 'power' will be on high conductors and could easily 'pass over' low conductors deeper than 8"