Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's the best Mosquito repellent out there that's safe to use for skin contact?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What's the best Mosquito repellent out there that's safe to use for skin contact?
May 13, 2017 12:36AM
I want a mosquito repellent that's safe for skin contact. I've read that deet isn't that good for your health if applied to your skin. So what works for you guy's?
98 percent deet is the only thing that works for me in sc unfortunately
Re: What's the best Mosquito repellent out there that's safe to use for skin contact?
May 13, 2017 02:02AM
I don't want to be spraying or rubbing on anything that melts plastic (DEET), so I choose to use the REPEL Tick Defense (sold at Walmart in a brown aerosol can. Active ingredient 15% Picaridin.
On the can it says repels ticks and mosquitos for up to 10 hours.
It works here in central NC where I am.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
If You don't want to put anything on your skin use those Off clip on repellents. I used them last couple years and they do work as didn't get one Bite. It uses a small Battery and a clip on dispenser. You replace the inserts after 8 Hours or so.
Re: What's the best Mosquito repellent out there that's safe to use for skin contact?
May 13, 2017 09:14AM
ncwayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't want to be spraying or rubbing on anything
> that melts plastic (DEET), so I choose to use the
> REPEL Tick Defense (sold at Walmart in a brown aer
> osol can. Active ingredient 15% Picaridin.
> On the can it says repels ticks and mosquitos for
> up to 10 hours.
> It works here in central NC where I am.
>
> Wayne

It might give some protection at 10 hours but in studies done Picaridin and Deet only give complete protection to 4 hours or so.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
May 13, 2017 12:27PM
Wayne Thanks for the recommendation I believe I will give it a try.
May 13, 2017 02:50PM
Watch that Deets as it can ruin grip and paint..and stains clothing....
Avon makes a skin lotion for women that has something in it that repels mosquitos well known fact call an avon rep and speak to them, this is what i use when hunting in the woods. shortribs
Yes...Avon makes a skin oil or spray called "Skin So Soft". Not as good as Deet but works for a time and smells good as well. Not too bad.

Charles
May 13, 2017 05:10PM
100% Sawyers Deet works for me against these Canadian monster blood sucking gang swarming skeeters.

The Deet Spray also helped prevent a horrible burning blistering itchy rash from starting after brushing up against a Stinging Nettle Bush one day cutting thru the woods to another fishing spot wearing shorts.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 13, 2017 06:13PM
We have heard that pinning downey sheets on your clothing keeps them off you.-----Never have tried it with mosquitos but worth giving it a try.-----One side benefit might be that it (maybe) would keep human pests from coming up to you pestering you!----They (hopefully) would think you were half off your rocker & steer clear of ya!grinning smiley
Sven1 Wrote:
> 100% Sawyers Deet works for me against these Canad
> ian monster blood sucking gang swarming skeeters.
>
When I would go up to the remote sites in Canada fishing I bathed in that stuff. Soaked my hat as well.

Those airplanes you disguise as mosquitoes up there are nasty ! Once that sun sets you can hear them coming a mile away.
Eat a lot of garlic and hot sauce..

I never have a problem with them..

My wife and kids though can't be around them...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
I will tell you the best thing I have found for them. Don't laugh. I thought it was a gimmick for years until I won one at an archery shoot and decided to just try it one day. Now I wont go anywhere in the woods in the summer/early fall without one. I even got the bigger one to sit outside for camping.

Thermacell Mosquito repellent device. You can wear them on your belt or even strap one to your detector. Can get them at any outdoor or camping supply store...usually runs about $25 for the device and it comes with the cannister and mats to get you going.

[www.ebay.com]
I agree 100% with Daniel TN. A Thermocell strapped to your belt or relic pouch will absolutely work wonders with keeping mosquitos away while you relic hunt, fish, bow hunt etc.
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Eat a lot of garlic and hot sauce..
>
> I never have a problem with them..
>
> Keith

Works like magic.

Noah