Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vacation.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Vacation.
August 01, 2018 01:25PM
Kind of off topic.

So I am debating on going vacation to Myrtle beach however there are a few hitches.

First, I have no one to go with. I really don't want to go by myself as I want to have somebody there to have my back. Especially coming home from the bar.

Two, I plan on flying down. I never flew in a plan before. I flew in a helicopter for 10 minutes. I don't want to freak out on the plane for some unknown reason.

Lastly, I plan to do some beach detecting(I know it's hit hard) but is it hard to get my gear on and off the plane?

I know to others, these concerns are nothing however, to me these are valid concerns.
Re: Vacation.
August 01, 2018 04:47PM
I live 1.5 hrs north of myrtle in wilmington nc. Good time of the year to hunt, its just super hot right now and we have been getting pounded with rain every day for the past few weeks. Water feels great 80-85 degrees.

I wouldn't worry about the plane, just do it. Safer than a car. I would assume you would not have problems bringing a detector on the plane.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
August 01, 2018 05:21PM
You'll be fine. Break down the detector and bring it through carry on. Can't remember if I put the rod pieces in the check in baggage or carry on. The first time I flew with detectors, I called the airlines to let them know just in case.....after that I didn't call and it was ok. They never questioned or made me open the carry on bag. Have a blast!
August 01, 2018 06:48PM
Why Myrtle Beach of all places?

This time of year I'd be thinking Cape Cod or Old Orchard Beach Maine.
August 01, 2018 07:23PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why Myrtle Beach of all places?
>
> This time of year I'd be thinking Cape Cod or Old
> Orchard Beach Maine.

There is a really brief scene in a movie that takes place at Myrtle beach. So I thought it may be kinda cool to see where they filmed.
August 01, 2018 10:28PM
Just watch Snakes on a Plane, that'll cure the fear of flight thumbs down
August 01, 2018 10:54PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Just watch Snakes on a Plane, that'll cure the fea
> r of flight thumbs down

SNAKES---did you say SNAKES Brian???grinning smiley
August 01, 2018 11:50PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just watch Snakes on a Plane, that'll cure the fear of flight thumbs down
>
>
> SNAKES---did you say SNAKES Brian???grinning smiley

Del, Del, DEL!!! I'm only afraid of the ones that kill you eye popping smiley
August 02, 2018 12:06AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Just watch Snakes on a Plane, that'll cure the fea
> r of flight thumbs down

LoL

"I've had it with these motherf_cking snakes on this motherf_cking plane!" grinning smiley
August 02, 2018 12:21AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> D&P-OR Wrote:
> -----
> > Cal_cobra Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > Just watch Snakes on a Plane, that'll cure the
> fear of flight thumbs down
> >
> >
> > SNAKES---did you say SNAKES Brian???grinning smiley
>
> Del, Del, DEL!!! I'm only afraid of the ones th
> at kill you eye popping smiley

Yeah---Those kind are easy to pick out Brian.----(Most) of 'em got a sign on their back that says "I'll kill yer ars!!!----All bets are off though when they shed their skins LOL
August 02, 2018 07:51AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

>
> Del, Del, DEL!!! I'm only afraid of the ones th
> at kill you eye popping smiley

I will vouch that Cal-Cobra doesn't like snakes. One time, on a hunt with him, he saw a snake that was perhaps 6 inches long. And for the rest of that hunt .... he couldn't concentrate for the life-of-him ! ha
August 02, 2018 02:59PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > Del, Del, DEL!!! I'm only afraid of the ones
> th
> > at kill you eye popping smiley
>
>
> I will vouch that Cal-Cobra doesn't like snakes.
> One time, on a hunt with him, he saw a snake that
> was perhaps 6 inches long. And for the rest of th
> at hunt .... he couldn't concentrate for the li
> fe-of-him !
ha

True story: My father-in-law, an old retired professional boxer from the old days used to round up rattle snakes and milk them of their venom.----He would then sell the venom to hospitals.----------It's too bad he couldn't have taught Brian how to milk rattlesnakes.-----I'm sure Brian would have gotten to really enjoyed it & the best part is, Brian probably wouldn't even of hardly ever gotten bitten once he got the hang of it!!thumbs downwinking smiley
August 02, 2018 07:18PM
If you were alright in a helicopter imagine your trip shouldn't be a problem.
Eat you Wheaties as beach and shallow water hunting is hard work walking in sand and avoiding the waves.
Me thinks your post has been hijacked even though all in fun....
August 02, 2018 10:59PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:

> I will vouch that Cal-Cobra doesn't like snakes.
> One time, on a hunt with him, he saw a snake that was perhaps 6 inches long. And for the rest of that hunt .... he couldn't concentrate for the life-of-him ! ha

Not one thing in that statement was factual eye popping smiley
August 02, 2018 11:03PM
D&P-OR Wrote:

> Yeah---Those kind are easy to pick out Brian.----(Most) of 'em got a sign on their back that says "I'll kill yer ars!!!----All bets are off though when they shed their skins LOL

It's not that I'm afraid of them, we caught them when I was a kid, BUT if there's so much ground cover that I cannot see what's on the ground, I'm not dumb enough to waltz around where the rattlers are hanging out sight unseen.

Tom on the other hand has no concept of safety.....well, unless you tap on your brakes in the car....boy oh boy, then he comes alive spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 02, 2018 11:08PM
D&P-OR Wrote:

> True story: My father-in-law, an old retired professional boxer from the old days used to round up rattle snakes and milk them of their venom.----He would then sell the venom to hospitals.----------It's too bad he couldn't have taught Brian how to milk rattlesnakes.-----I'm sure Brian would have gotten to really enjoyed it & the best part is, Brian probably wouldn't even of hardly ever gotten bitten once he got the hang of it!!thumbs downwinking smiley

Yeah, I'm going to have to take a pass on milking rattlers.....

I watched a TV program years ago about a man that milked venomous snakes for the same reasons, and he had been bitten so many times, that he'd build up an immunity towards them.
August 02, 2018 11:12PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> -----
>
> > I will vouch that Cal-Cobra doesn't like snakes.
> > One time, on a hunt with him, he saw a snake tha
> t was perhaps 6 inches long. And for the rest of
> that hunt .... he couldn't concentrate for the
> life-of-him !
ha
>
> Not one thing in that statement was factual eye popping smiley

Brian, Brian---which one of you two guys are we to believe????------Well, I don't believe that you are skeerd of ALLLL snakes!----There, I said it!thumbs downgrinning smiley
August 02, 2018 11:13PM
on a High Sierra Backpacking trip years ago was surprised by an angry rattler and forced to jump off the trail.
Angry and hungry I killed it and ate it. Tasted like chicken, lol.
August 03, 2018 02:24AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Brian, Brian---which one of you two guys are we to
> believe????-----

Well, ok, maybe it was 7" long snake, and not 6" long, haha. But whatever it was that he saw, it ruined the rest of that hunt for him.

And ... yes .... I have no caution level or risk assessment. Doh!
August 03, 2018 03:31AM
Beyonder,

If you fly, I recommend you request and get a window seat over wing or slightly behind. Watching the wing move, will reduce your chances for motion sickness. Your eyes/brain will be more in communication with the rest of your body.

Dogs generally get car sick when they can’t see out, and the g forces when auto stops and turns does tricks on their insides, hence they puke.

Enjoy your vacation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 03:32AM by tnsharpshooter.
August 03, 2018 06:08PM
Flying is statistically much safer than driving but I always had trouble with renting transportation on the other side or inconveniencing friends.
The other up side to flying is that so often individuals who choose to drive and may have an accident , can often end up severely injured or incapacitated in strange locations , while those who fly seldom survive a crash or accident and don't have to contend with being an invalid for the rest of their lives.
August 04, 2018 10:09AM
Here's my question is a device with lithium-Ion batteries allowed on a airplane?