Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hot Coils?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hot Coils?
July 30, 2017 07:40PM
We all know about some Detectors of same Model being Hotter than others, But what about same Coils being Hotter than others of same Model?
Reason I ask as Have A Golden uMax that is Hot and Guy I got it from said He had 4, 8" Brown Donut Coils and this was Hottest one. Also knew a Guy with a CZ6a who swears the Stock 8" Coil was at least a inch Hotter than 2 Other 8s He had? Anyone else ever come across this?
Re: Hot Coils?
July 30, 2017 07:51PM
As a regular on the Geotech1 forum, I see plenty of people saying they've made coils that don't perform, despite their best efforts, so it's definitely possible to make sub-par coils. I think the shielding (electrostatic) is the bit where it's most likely to vary from coil to coil. Actually winding the copper wire with the correct shape and number of turns etc is fairly easy, especially in mass-production.

Tom D tests coils and detectors seperately when he's validating them, and presumably chooses the better ones to 'sell on'. So he must see how much variation there is in a sample of commercial coils.
July 30, 2017 09:32PM
"You're right Harold... it does happen and, more often than you'd think!

I'd say it's now mostly, a thing of the past because materials and construction quality standards are much improved these days.

I remember buying a 'White's 4 DB (Savo) in 1983 and it was so bad that it qualified as the worst detector I ever used! Absolutely useless! You had to sit right over a coin on the surface to get any signal at all! It had to have been a coil issue. In those days it was a lot of trial and error and, I made an error!

A friend was buying a Viking (can't remember which model as it was in the '80's) so he went to the detector shop and the dealer had 8 in stock.
He tested them all in a bench test and one got 2" more than the others and that was the one he bought.

More recently the 'Explorer SE' turned into a bit of a dog when they switched from the original beige 'XS' coil to a black 'Slimline' style.
Something got lost in the translation and it was a very unsatisfactory experience for many.

Anyone else got good tales to tell???"
July 30, 2017 10:08PM
Riding on the "way back machine" back in the 70's I had interest in a sporting goods store and we were Garrett dealers.I air tested all detectors,to get the hottest for self,and there was as much as 25% difference in detector/coils--so it may have been the coils-----or the detectors. If possible test before you buy.
July 31, 2017 11:48AM
I dont know Des........ quality control still isnt what it should be. Parts coming from everywhere and companies assuming they are all good. Thats relying heavily on the producer who just made some substandard part to be honest. I was talking to Mr. Bill a few years back about PIs and Us......... he suggested many of the so called 15 Us machines arent always in that range and needs properly tuned. In a perfect world we know the standard..... but its not and we still rely on people. More time than not CLOSE is good enough. We did see a lot more coils or machines that would get out of tune...... one way or the other. In most cases MOST people wont know if their machines is working right or not...... especially if they havent used the machine before or have anyway of comparing it to.

Dew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2017 11:51AM by dewcon4414.
July 31, 2017 11:58PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd say it's now mostly, a thing of the past becau
> se materials and construction quality standards ar
> e much improved these days.
>

Good topic guys. Yes, I would think it would mostly a thing of the past. Since today's robotic assembly line computerized precision manufacturing ways would / could make every coming off the assembly line to be exactly alike.

In the old days, this was true. You could put a machine on a testing machine, and try a bunch of loops. (or air test for depth) . And ... yes ...... some loops were better than others.
August 01, 2017 01:54AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> We all know about some Detectors of same Model bei
> ng Hotter than others, But what about same Coils b
> eing Hotter than others of same Model?
> Reason I ask as Have A Golden uMax that is Hot and
> Guy I got it from said He had 4, 8" Brown Donut Co
> ils and this was Hottest one. Also knew a Guy with
> a CZ6a who swears the Stock 8" Coil was at least a
> inch Hotter than 2 Other 8s He had? Anyone else ev
> er come across this?

You are the owner of the hottest and deepest Tesoro Golden µMax on Planet Earth. In the right hands it's a gold ring finder like no other and it will easily and cleanly high tone on 8 inch dimes in the ground. Your detector and search coil are perfectly paired to one another. It's not just the search coil.

tabman
August 01, 2017 02:31AM
Rite You are Tabman. Dug 2 Silver Halfs at same site with it that My Etrac and CZ-3D walked over. I am still playing with the Notch along with width control. Its a Special Machine for Sure.
August 01, 2017 03:18AM
Yes by all mean's one coil can be hotter than another cil of same size...BUt it may be just on that machine swap coil to another machine that uses same coil and you may see opposite...

I have a pile of 6.59Khz coils and just at times swapping from one unit to the other can help both machines..I've seen up to 1.75" (( MAXIMUM SO FAR)) depth increases with coil swaps..

Thats one reason a DMC unit is always at Exact tuning till they go out....they are tunable to the unit..Through R&C controls...

Not sure why manufacturers dont allow us to Dial in a coil on a top end unit...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 01, 2017 05:15AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Yes by all mean's one coil can be hotter than anot
> her cil of same size...BUt it may be just on that
> machine swap coil to another machine that uses sam
> e coil and you may see opposite...
>

Yes. The machine and the coil COMBINATION might be "what's hot".