Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lumber camp Picture of gold item added

Posted by Jackpine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Lumber camp Picture of gold item added
September 17, 2017 10:50AM
Finally figured the phone to Desktop mobile app out (hate posting from my phone LOL)

Here's the 1905 lumber camp showing the iron/trash Rick and I had to deal with the other day. Rick was killing it with the Lobo and 6" concentric. He hit 2 silver dimes before we compared signals and on the last dime The ML 705 with 6x10" Mars Sniper could not see the target which was a smooth signal on the Lobo. I quickly LOL went to the car and grabbed the F75 with 6.5" football concentric which made the difference in that mess. My take was 3 more IH's (one not shown) a piece of jewelry of some sort that is gold plate on the sides with a solid gold face and a fancy suspender clip which is not in the photo.

1905 lumber camp

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 06:29PM by Jackpine.
Re: Lumber camp
September 17, 2017 09:47PM
Fun hunt Tom. The coil on your 705 looked bigger than the 6x10. It looked about 7x12 +. You need to get in the creek and see what you can find.

My LST is modded and hot like Keith did with his.

I got a 1905 Barber dime, 1888 Candian dime, V nickel 1891, 2 ih's 1905. Some iron relics etc.

Was a great hunt.

Rick
September 17, 2017 10:21PM
Cool stuff. Looks like it was fun thumbs down
September 18, 2017 01:29AM
NICE!!

Looks like North Georgia areas I hunt.

Real solitude..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 18, 2017 07:07AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NICE!!
>
> Looks like North Georgia areas I hunt.
>
> Real solitude..
>
> Keith

Keith

The cellar hole we were hunting is about 50 feet off the walking path of a park. LOL

Rick and I have hunted many camps in the area and this has been one of the best for finds. Another that was well known and hit hard before I got into the hobby gave up a similar amount but took many trips to accomplish. It was a larger camp with a post office and railroad.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 07:12AM by Jackpine.
September 18, 2017 05:44PM
Hey Tom..

LOL..

Well still looks remote..

Just by the trees and such has a Georgia feel..

Bet yall have a ton of house sites up there in upstate Michigan way back off the beaten path..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 18, 2017 05:53PM
Has to be a gold coin at that logging camp!!!
September 18, 2017 06:28PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has to be a gold coin at that logging camp!!!

Ya know I went out there this morning and actually had that on my mind. Every time I got a low conductive hit I dug extra careful just in case! LOL

Still It did give up gold which is a first for me at a lumber camp added a picture of it to the album along with a V nickel dug this morning. Not sure what exactly it was used for odd shape and for a cuff link or breast pin. There is a small loop on the bottom for possibly hanging on a chain. The picture makes it look like there is gold plate wearing off of the dots around the edge which is only an artifact of the exposure. It's a thin layer of gold soldered or brazed onto the gold plated sides.

If anyone has an idea what is used for let me know.

Tom

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 06:43PM by Jackpine.
September 18, 2017 06:43PM
Does the filigreed part swivel??

If so maybe a cuff link?

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
September 18, 2017 06:54PM
That was my first thought when I dug it but no, it's one solid piece. Decorative jewelry of some kind but it has me stumped.

September 18, 2017 07:05PM
Ive dug that exact setup twice in civil war camps..

yet mine were Gold gold both times and instead of the smooth face they had insignia in them ...they were wax seal fob pendants...

Your is a wax seal fob pendant..Smooth face..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Re: Lumber camp Picture of gold item added
September 18, 2017 08:26PM
Nice find on the Gold piece thumbs down
September 18, 2017 08:50PM
Wow thanks Keith,

The loop on the bottom had me stumped but it makes sense now since it would have been on a chain. Do wish it had some initials or Insignia engraved on it to trace it back.

Tom

September 19, 2017 04:55AM
Heres one sort of like yours..

The stones were made so you could take them to a Jeweler and have them engraved with whatever you desired...

there solid victorian pieces...I would say yours is about 1850 to 1870 or so..they went out of Vogue after that..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
September 19, 2017 06:01AM
Amazing finds Mr what app is that u used for the pics if ya don't mind? I have photobucket but don't really care for it.
September 19, 2017 08:53AM
I have an Android phone that uses Google Photos for managing the pictures taken with the camera. I share the album to my Firefox account which is also paired across my desktop and tablet and gives me the link to post.

Best really IMO is postimage.org which is free but I have trouble trying to go from phone to desktop for pairing the account and my desktop doesn't recognize my camera when I plug it in to transfer pics some reason. Need to work on that.

lumbercamp finds

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 09:38AM by Jackpine.
September 19, 2017 09:18AM
Keith

It would have been hard to engrave the thin gold layer on the piece I found. Perhaps there was a stone attached to it at one time that came off.

Tom

September 19, 2017 09:25AM
Rick

It was the 6x10 just looks big.

That Adze head you found is cool.

Tom

PS: the silver coins you found I planted.

JK LOL

PPS: the V nickel was 3 feet from the silver dime you found and the IH you missed. LOL LOL

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 09:34AM by Jackpine.
September 19, 2017 10:22PM
Lol, yes I don't like hearing that and I missed it. Also the IH you got right next to the dime I dug. That's the way things go lol.

Have fun at that place.

Thanks for bringing me there.

Rick