Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I have a Racer2. Do I really need the Impact?

Posted by Alpha Goat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I have a Racer2. Do I really need the Impact?
October 05, 2017 02:21PM
Serious question because I'm on a limited budget. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 02:22PM by Alpha Goat.
Re: I have a Racer2. Do I really need the Impact?
October 05, 2017 03:58PM
2 pluses that put the Impact ahead, 1) better unmasking depth and 2) a far more intelligible and less fatiguing audio. Could never use the Racer 2 for a long hunt because the audio wore me out to the point it was simply a bunch of noise to my ears/brain.

Tom

Disclaimer: The Impact I had was Keith's proto which at the time (last spring) had the latest upgrades.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 04:00PM by Jackpine.
October 05, 2017 05:42PM
Depends.

Impact better modern trash hunter.
User can use 5khz and non normalized Vdi setting and ID the junk better (mid and lower conductors).

Can separate better than Racer series in some situations.

Smoother running in iron vs Racer.

In milder ground deeper than Racer series.
October 05, 2017 06:38PM
Interestingly I find myself using both the Impact and the R2, although due to having these two machines, I find myself no longer using the Red Racer (anyone want to buy a nice Red Racer???) because it's redundant, albeit still a great detector IMHO.

What I find is that I've been using the R2 when I don't specifically want to run a feature that only the Impact has (like say 20kHz, or Di4 mode). Most of my detecting on both units is done in Di3 mode, so if I don't require 20kHz, I'll use my R2 because it's lighter and I also have a larger compliment of coils for it (although the Nokta small coil and 11" DD coil cover 90% of my needs). I prefer using the R2 when I can because it's lighter and doesn't cause my thumb go numb like the Impact does after prolonged use.

I have a few sites that require 20kHz, as the 13-14kHz machines really struggle there. Simultaneous multi-frequency machines have no problems handling this soil, but are in general slower machines so they too can struggle when they get into heavy iron zones at these sites.

-Brian
October 11, 2017 03:11AM
PM Keith Southern as I believe he tested both and could really give you a nut and bolts detailed answer...I felt the Racer 11 was a super unit and loved the weight and balance but have no knowledge of the Impact...