Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

When I tested a detector I had to sign a Waiver!

Posted by Alpha Goat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
When I tested a detector I had to sign a Waiver!
October 13, 2017 06:08PM
Why would Minelab or any other OEM release information on a prototype instead of waiting to finish the product? Just a question????
Re: When I tested a detector I had to sign a Waiver!
October 13, 2017 07:08PM
The old ways of doing business, have changed.

Internet and detecting forums are the primary drivers IMO.

Just think.

I have seen lots of folks who were planning to buy At Max, but with introduction of Equinox, those plans fizzled.

There is only so much money to go around for folks to buy a model detector.

So if manufacturer can capture some of this loot vs the other manufacturer(s), the better for them.

Let's not forget, who started this- I think.
I made some comments about this a few weeks ago.

Dilek of Makro/Nokta I think has changed how we will find out about many detectors in the future-- before official ready release.

Don't forget Garrett did this with the Max unit also.

I certainly don't mind them doing this as long as things are broadcast honestly.

You tube is powerful too.

Almost like now, folks get to drive before they buy.

As far as waivers/NDAs go, I am sure Minelab gave the folks presenting what they have permission to do.
Just like Nokta, Makro, and likely Garrett did.

Something else to bring up here interrelated.

Could the preorder number of units really help Minelab with actual gauging production numbers for their factory??

I figure it won't be much longer these preorders will be so called hard core,,and dealers will report to Minelab and they will have a good idea worldwide on just how many units they need to hatch to satisfy the first wave of purchasers.

This could really help if they do this, for those folks who later decide to buy- cut wait times hopefully for units.

To close here, what will be interesting to watch in the future.
Just how long in the future will a manufacturer bring out a (non) ready released detector?
If this time frame becomes what I call idiotic like a year or longer, it may cause folks to become disinterested.
Like the boy crying wolf.

And plus the fact a manufacturer could have a real unforeseen show stopper manufacturing/engineering wise,, that could cause excessive lag time.

So, yes look/think before they leap here,,,could cost a manufacturer in the long run.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 07:27PM by Sod-buster.
October 13, 2017 07:47PM
This is all being orchestrated by Marketing,, Build the Hype. Seems to be working to some extent. Look at the people that are suddenly selling off most of their units in expectation the Equinox will be the do all end of of metal detectors. No telling how many people have/are ear marking money for one and they don't even have a finished product yet.

Fun to watch.

HH
Mike
October 13, 2017 07:55PM
Yep, companies want you to stop spending your money on other detector brands so you'll have it to spend it on theirs. Most of the time it's just a bunch of hype. Can Minelab's new detector live up to all the hype it's getting? I'm suspicious, but hopeful.

tabman
October 13, 2017 08:17PM
Again, I stand by my statement that new tech doesn't and shouldn't take years to get to the consumer. This isn't 1973.
October 13, 2017 08:46PM
It's because the actual hardware/firmware prototyping stage is done (plain and simple) and all they're doing now is tweaking the final production release software.

It's the same as when Nokta told us testers that it was okay to talk/show off the Impact two months before actual street models were available. They tweaked the software for a couple months after we were given the okay to talk about them/make vids on them.

That's why you hear Brando Niece (Dr. Tones) state the "version" of software being used/shown in his videos of the Equinox (same as I had to do in my videos of the pre-release Impact).
October 13, 2017 09:04PM
For the first time in history, in 2016 streaming media exceeded all broadcast networks on cable and satellite TV combined. The Internet is a powerful tool, costs practically nothing to give someone a free test detector, and have them post videos up on YouTube. Minelab was smart to ask Brandon because his videos are darn near professional production quality, and he has an established viewer audience around the world that trusts his opinion.

Why advertise in a magazine (that won't be ready for months) when you have instant access to Internet media, likely at a fraction of the cost of standard advertising which reaches a limited audience. For example how many of you subscribe to Western & Eastern? The answer's not even important, because it's a small subset compared to the number of people that will watch a free video on youtube. Not only that, but a well produced video is far more IMPACTing then a black and white magazine article.

Be it good, bad or indifferent, the 21st Century is a new world.
October 13, 2017 10:39PM
So if the detector craps the bed who takes the hit. The OEM, Testers or Marketing with Video Production's! All I heard in some video's is I wanted, I asked for! As a consumer I don't feel I need someone to think they know what I want. People in Hell want ice water. I hope they get it! I hope the new detectors do well for the masses! It's the people who worked quietly behind the scene who I would love to hear from. It was not long ago that the MX Sport crapped the bed. That would not have happened back in Ancient Times!eye popping smiley
October 14, 2017 12:47AM
This equinox stuff has got to be the most over analyzed thing I've seen in quite sometime. Interesting to watch.

It took a lot of media circus but many users will finally experience the joy of the xterra some of us have for years. Enhanced some of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 12:48AM by detectingMO.
October 14, 2017 02:39AM
detectingMO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This equinox stuff has got to be the most over ana
> lyzed thing I've seen in quite sometime. Interes
> ting to watch.
>
> It took a lot of media circus but many users will
> finally experience the joy of the xterra some of u
> s have for years. Enhanced some of course.

The Equinox speculation and misinformation got way out of control, but talk about a successful PR stunt by Minelab!
October 14, 2017 02:57AM
Dr, Jack(Kevorkian) is going to be a busy man if the Nox doesn't match the hype.
October 14, 2017 03:19AM
detectingMO Wrote:
> This equinox stuff has got to be the most over ana
> lyzed thing I've seen in quite sometime. Interes
> ting to watch.
>

I agree with you. It's been interesting to watch; I've contributed more than my share of "over analysis," but it's really interesting from a psychological/sociological perspective to watch how people are reacting to this machine since its announcement at Detectival.

Fascinating responses... there are those who already love it, for whom the release can't come quickly enough (on one side), then there are those who are very negative...and seem "threatened" in some way (on the other side), and finally a whole spectrum of "middle ground" folks -- varying degrees of intrigued, but cautious. It's been interested to watch -- particularly on some of the other forums...

Steve
October 14, 2017 03:21AM
I can see the salt water/beach hunting crowd getting real excited.
Who wants to haul a boat anchor around all the time.
And have a detector hotter on smaller gold.

The inland hunters.
I think the weight is the eye candy.

Imagine if a CTX that weighs the same as Equinox or Etrac with Equinox weight would have come out back in 2008/2009.
Katy bar the door.
XP would have took it in the shorts moreso, they definitely wouldn't have risen fame wise as fast as they have in the USA.

Minelab knows this (now) too.

You know what they say "better late than never".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 03:26AM by Sod-buster.
October 14, 2017 01:36PM
Its getting to the point your new detector is obsolete a week after you receive...Its called marketing....sure sells new ones and floods the used detector forums.
October 14, 2017 03:04PM
Ever wonder just how many extremely talented detectorist are out their quietly digging the goods without ever posting any of the awesome recoveries they make? Or post about how much better their favorite machine performs compared too others favorites.
October 14, 2017 04:19PM
Sod-buster Wrote:
>
> Imagine if a CTX that weighs the same as Equinox o
> r Etrac with Equinox weight would have come out ba
> ck in 2008/2009.
> Katy bar the door.
> XP would have took it in the shorts moreso, they d
> efinitely wouldn't have risen fame wise as fast as
> they have in the USA.
>
> Minelab knows this (now) too.
>
> You know what they say "better late than never".

Yes, Sod-buster. The sad thing is, I before the CTX was released, that people -- even on this forum -- were UNANIMOUS in hoping beyond all hope that Minelab had finally decided to go "lightweight" on the CTX. People were SO disappointed when it came out as heavy as it did. Not sure if the technology that makes up the CTX could have, at that time, been packed into a lighter-weight/smaller control box, or not, but people sure were disappointed. Better late than never is right though; they announce a lightweight -- and apparently high-performance -- machine, and look at the buzz they have generated...

Steve
October 14, 2017 04:21PM
silverhound Wrote:
> Ever wonder just how many extremely talented dete
> ctorist are out their quietly digging the goods wi
> thout ever posting any of the awesome recoveries t
> hey make? Or post about how much better their favo
> rite machine performs compared too others favorite
> s.

Not sure how many really talented detectorists don't ever post, silverhound, but I sure am grateful for the ones that do. I would never be where I am today without the help of others -- it really, really shortens the learning curve when you have others willing to share knowledge and experiences. And that includes detecting skills themselves, AS WELL AS information and knowledge specific to any one particular machine...

Steve
October 15, 2017 12:03AM
I disagree regarding this 'hype' theory

Personally I think its a great idea to have the unit in the hands of users before the final product release.

Why?

Just in case the manufacturer had forgotten something the end user might find useful (i.e. volume control on AT MAX etc).

These new ideas can be implemented into the unit well before the final release & not rushing around last minute trying
to squeeze it all in before their designated release date -

By NOT hitting that mark, they leave themselves wide open for another company to conduct a superior product release
and steal away potential customers, due to these delays. (shouldn't be hard to find an example of this)

This 'hype' word has been flogged to death and I for one, am yet to see Nokta or Makro 'hype' up their products. Unlike
some of the older brands who should know not to compare their new release units to other brands, but simply show us what the
new gear is capable of.

'Hype' might be the in thing where you guys shop, however 'hype' from any manufacturer has me automatically turning my
back on them - There is already enough BS in the world -

As for releasing products before they are complete - Microsoft lead the world in doing this & had some of the best people around the world plugging their holes & coming up with fixes - It appears that at least showing or telling people what is about to come is best for all parties in achieving a product that suits the end user and NOT the way its been for decades.

Units designed by engineers with little input from the end user -

Good to see one or two in the industry NOT implementing that train of thought - How archaic

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
October 15, 2017 12:39AM
Well posted RC!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 15, 2017 12:51PM
100% true, it's all about marketing. Amazing what the right kind of marketing can accomplish.

Mike Hillis Wrote:
> This is all being orchestrated by Marketing,, Buil
> d the Hype. Seems to be working to some extent.
> Look at the people that are suddenly selling off m
> ost of their units in expectation the Equinox will
> be the do all end of of metal detectors. No tell
> ing how many people have/are ear marking money for
> one and they don't even have a finished product ye
> t.
>
> Fun to watch.
>
> HH
> Mike
October 15, 2017 03:17PM
silverhound Wrote:
> Ever wonder just how many extremely talented dete
> ctorist are out their quietly digging the goods wi
> thout ever posting any of the awesome recoveries t
> hey make? Or post about how much better their favo
> rite machine performs compared too others favorite
> s.

I know quite a few. Seems to be more prevalent in the nugget shooting world. I know a couple of guys that ask me and other buddies to post their occasional good finds for them and don't want their names mentioned. IME, I think a lot more don't post on the forms than do.

Dean
October 15, 2017 09:55PM
Sod-buster Wrote:
> I can see the salt water/beach hunting crowd getti
> ng real excited.
> Who wants to haul a boat anchor around all the tim
> e.
> And have a detector hotter on smaller gold.

It may be hotter on smaller gold and it may run as stable as anything.
But would you rather be chasing small ear rings or casualy walk the beach and hit that deep ring?

Non-ferrous/Ferrous ID at depth and small target capability are the ultimate beach machine.

>
> The inland hunters.
> I think the weight is the eye candy.

The inland hunter from Minelab “X-terra 705” looks like a cheap toy compared to a Deus.
It will hunt on par, it will outhunt because of more coil options.
But it still looks like a cheap toy.

Which will the customer choose, who wants high tech. Surely the weightless Deus.
So they really needed that weight gone and design up to date.
Oh and integrated wireless is a must have!

>
> Imagine if a CTX that weighs the same as Equinox o
> r Etrac with Equinox weight would have come out ba
> ck in 2008/2009.
> Katy bar the door.
> XP would have took it in the shorts moreso, they d
> efinitely wouldn't have risen fame wise as fast as
> they have in the USA.
>
> Minelab knows this (now) too.
>
> You know what they say "better late than never".

It’s very interesting they’ve used the same frequency span as a CZ.
And we all know the CZ is a bread and butter unit that is known to bring home the goods.

20 and 40 kHz for the prospectors adds the desert needed to finish off the meal.

I’m hoping it performs in the fluff, soft sand and worked fields.
And provides more ID resolution for the jewelry hunters, something they were really lacking in.

But essentially I think it’s an improved X-terra and due to modern electronics they have managed to add a CZ and a GMT also.
Fascinating pieces of engineering if they can pull that one off!!

Will it obsolete anything, well we’ll know in 10 years time.

HH
Johnb
October 16, 2017 01:39PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> Sod-buster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I can see the salt water/beach hunting crowd get
> ti
> > ng real excited.
> > Who wants to haul a boat anchor around all the t
> im
> > e.
> > And have a detector hotter on smaller gold.
>
> It may be hotter on smaller gold and it may run as
> stable as anything.
> But would you rather be chasing small ear rings or
> casualy walk the beach and hit that deep ring?
>
> Non-ferrous/Ferrous ID at depth and small target c
> apability are the ultimate beach machine.
>
> >
> > The inland hunters.
> > I think the weight is the eye candy.
>
> The inland hunter from Minelab “X-terra 705” looks
> like a cheap toy compared to a Deus.
> It will hunt on par, it will outhunt because of mo
> re coil options.
> But it still looks like a cheap toy.
>
> Which will the customer choose, who wants high tec
> h. Surely the weightless Deus.
> So they really needed that weight gone and design
> up to date.
> Oh and integrated wireless is a must have!
>
>
>
> >
> > Imagine if a CTX that weighs the same as Equinox
> o
> > r Etrac with Equinox weight would have come out
> ba
> > ck in 2008/2009.
> > Katy bar the door.
> > XP would have took it in the shorts moreso, they
> d
> > efinitely wouldn't have risen fame wise as fast
> as
> > they have in the USA.
> >
> > Minelab knows this (now) too.
> >
> > You know what they say "better late than never".
>
> It’s very interesting they’ve used the same freque
> ncy span as a CZ.
> And we all know the CZ is a bread and butter unit
> that is known to bring home the goods.
>
> 20 and 40 kHz for the prospectors adds the desert
> needed to finish off the meal.
>
> I’m hoping it performs in the fluff, soft sand and
> worked fields.
> And provides more ID resolution for the jewelry hu
> nters, something they were really lacking in.
>
> But essentially I think it’s an improved X-terra a
> nd due to modern electronics they have managed to
> add a CZ and a GMT also.
> Fascinating pieces of engineering if they can pull
> that one off!!
>
> Will it obsolete anything, well we’ll know in 10 y
> ears time.

Good post johnb

and just for laughs, if the X-Terra looks like a toy (which it definitely isn't), so does the EQ (which we can only assume is not a toy) winking smiley

AND just one more thing... "Save the concentrics"

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2017 01:44PM by Jackpine.
October 16, 2017 04:01PM
It does indeed look a lot like one of those Quest episodes. However it has a Minelab logo and was dropped on a parachute.
I’m waiting for D-D@Y myself.

HH
Johnb
October 16, 2017 05:02PM
The 9" concentric X_Terra coil sweeps through water with ease. Would be just the ticket for fresh water

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.