Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

DUG A COUPLE SURPRISES TODAY

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
DUG A COUPLE SURPRISES TODAY
November 12, 2017 01:57AM
Been at or below freezing for a week here in Michigan and before that it was a few weeks of low 40s temps and rain so I haven't got much fall diggin time in this yr thumbs up

Managed a couple hr hunt today even though it was only 32 degrees. Went to an old site I've found a couple injuns at in the past and dug a couple nice surprises.

Worth note:
1886 Canadian large cent
worn Shield nickel
1936 wheat
piece of an old suspender clip with some writing on it
baby horse/colt shoe

pics tell the rest of the story. Was using the CTX w/6" coil today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 02:00AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: DUG A COUPLE SURPRISES TODAY
November 12, 2017 02:39AM
Good deal MRH.

Yea, the temp dropped here also (SE, PA).....into the 20's. The wood burning stove is cooking and keeping us toasty.
November 12, 2017 03:15AM
Nice digs, like that Canadian largie thumbs down

Never have dug a sheld nickel for some odd reason confused smiley

Hope you get better cooperation from the weather.

hh,
Brian
November 12, 2017 03:51AM
Glad you got out, Wayne. Nice finds. I'd love a shield nickel. Old nickels are few and far between FSR. I have one V nickel and no largies, Canadian or otherwise.

other Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
November 12, 2017 10:37PM
Thanks guys. It was nice to get out and find a couple coins/etc for the 1st time in a couple of weeks after sitting due to weather and after a couple of flop sites that produced nothing worth posting prior to this hunt.

Got a new permission/1860s Gen. store site we're going to dig this thursday (my diggin buddy and I) so stay tuned for a new post/write up on what we find, machine/s used, etc. Pretty excited to dig this place as it'll be one of the best sites we've been on this season/year.

HH all thumbs down
November 12, 2017 11:16PM
Shield nickels are missed as they come in low compared to Jefferson nickels...nice place for a diamond ring or perhaps a nice dollar gold piece also....and yes mucho foil...
November 12, 2017 11:26PM
Nice variety of finds!

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
November 12, 2017 11:49PM
Nice!! Looking forward to seeing your post from the hunt this week.
November 13, 2017 02:32AM
Nice!!

funny every once in awhile down here we will dig those big canadian pennies too!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 13, 2017 10:29PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shield nickels are missed as they come in low comp
> ared to Jefferson nickels...nice place for a diamo
> nd ring or perhaps a nice dollar gold piece also..
> ..and yes mucho foil...

Right on Dan. The shield nickels read and sound lower than all other nickels. They don’t show themselves too often but I usually dig 1 per season for an avg.

This site is full of hot rocks that read 1 - 10 co/fe on the ctx and sound 1 tone higher than iron using 4 tones and that’s the same tone the nickel hit on but the numbers were a bit different which is why I dug because I knew it wasn’t one of the hot rocks. thumbs down

No foil at this site though. It’s an 1850s - 1930s school site. Makes it easy- just dig everything above iron and it’s bound to be some sort of Relic/etc smiling smiley
November 17, 2017 06:13AM
Those shield nickels seem pretty rare on the San Francisco Bay Peninsula. After over 7 years of detecting, only found 2.
But have found a couple of WW1 era British coins, and several WW2 era British half cents.

Congrats on the finds.
November 17, 2017 09:01AM
Nice finds Wayne, congrats.----That CTX/6" coil is a good combo.----It got me a 1862-S Seated Liberty half in a sea of junk just a short time ago.-----It's been a looong time since I've dug a Shield nickel though.----You did really well.-------------Del
November 17, 2017 07:49PM
Nice job, MRH! That's some cold detecting! This Arizona boy would be huddled inside next to the wood stove!!

Dean