Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tesoro

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tesoro
December 19, 2017 06:14PM
Ok, a couple of these posts have gotten my curiosity up!smiling smiley-----What's the best Tesoro/coil combo for working iron riddled sites? (cut nails/small iron--even busted tin)
Re: Tesoro
December 19, 2017 06:24PM
Hombre would know as He is a long time Tesoro guy!
December 19, 2017 06:37PM
I have used Tesoros since 1993 and still do to this day. My current lineup of Tesoros consists of a Tejon, Vaquero and Mojave. They all work extremely well in iron trash with the small 5.75 concentric coil on them. The Tejon I would say is the best at unlocking non ferrous everything in a given high iron trash site but takes time to get a hang of. If your just starting into the Tesoros then a Vaquero, Mojave or Bandido2 micromax/ outlaw would be a good starting point all with the small 5.75 cincentric.
December 19, 2017 07:20PM
It would almost be better to classify them into ED 120 or ED 180 discrimination as to define which works best for some people. Some people don't want to deal with the iron at all and with disc set at 0 on a 120 disc machine, you pretty much start out with it rejecting a large portion of iron targets.

Me personally, I don't like ED 120 machines. Some days I get into areas where iron relics may be the best finds in there (gun parts, artillery frags, bayonets, etc) and I want to be the one to determine whether to dig them or not. I remember one time we got into a spot that was producing a lot of artillery shell frags and cannister shot. All was iron. My buddy was using a Vaquero and couldn't find any of them with his machine cause even at 0 disc it was already knocking them out.

Its kinda the same reason I prefer the T2 over the F75 when it comes to relic hunting.

Some people don't want any iron at all so the 120 is perfect for them. I like iron relics myself...I have an 1860s Springfield lockplate with hammer still attached that to me, is one of the cooler relics in my collection.
December 19, 2017 08:34PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, a couple of these posts have gotten my curiosi
> ty up!smiling smiley-----What's the best Tesoro/coil combo for
> working iron riddled sites? (cut nails/small iron-
> -even busted tin)

Del...I know you have owned a few Tesoros that work well in small iron. Your Bandido ll µMax works well in iron nail infested sites, the newer Outlaw works even better, I believe you had one of those too. I like the obsolete Toltec 100 which hates iron & has complete control of operation with its many adjustments like 10 turn ground balance, Threshold (Tuner).. Disc. and Sensitivity plus something I do not use and that is Notch Disc. It has a great analog meter. Another oldie I like is the INCA which operates like a non metered Toltec 100. The Pantera is another oldie I like, I had that with me when I visited you and Patsy.The 2 tone audio of the Pantera is redundant unless cherry picking high conductors. All of the above have ED-120 (Bandido & Outlaw) or D-90 (Toltec 100, Inca) discrimination with very quick recovery speed to unmask around iron.

Small concentric coils ( 5.75", 7") & 8 inch open center work well in small iron and have excellent discrimination qualities. If you want to dig iron, use the 10X12" 5 pin DD coil.
December 20, 2017 12:01AM
Del I am using a Bandido II big box Tesoro and the 7" coil that comes on the Mojave it is a killer iron infested site setup.
December 20, 2017 12:04AM
Tejon with 5.75 C.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 20, 2017 01:44AM
Thanks gentlemen--I appreciate your responses.-------------Del