Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Proper Introduction - Hello!

Posted by ChrisMD 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Proper Introduction - Hello!
September 11, 2018 12:34PM
Howdy Folks,

This has rapidly become one of my favorite forums to hang out at, so I figured as I start coming out of lurking mode and start posting more I'd introduce myself.

I'm Chris, currently live in Cape St. Claire, Maryland, which is right north of Annapolis on the Broadneck Penninsula. I'm getting old at 43, and been hunting off and on since 2003, and have swung most mid-level to flagships since then.....except for White's, for some reason I just haven't owned a Whites minus the TRX. Was active duty Army for 12 years, spent 4 years deployed so lots of missed detecting time, and now an Army Civilian that still deploys, so some things never change and I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Currently swinging an F75+ (my third F75, and favorite), a Tesoro Mojave, Equinox 800, and have a couple loaner detectors like a Eurotek Pro, GoFind 20 that I got for free from a CTX 3030 purchase, and a Vaquero coming up in a week. Right now I split my time 60/40 F75 over Equinox. Hard to put the F75 down because it's my dirt gold magnet, usually score a couple dozen rings a year.

I just started putting together an album of finds and trying to sort through random pics scattered over a dozen different devices and computers. Here is a link if anyone wants to check them out, it's a start and will keep adding as I find them:

[photos.app.goo.gl]

I'm always up for detecting if anyone in the Maryland/DC/VA/PA area wants to link up. No problem sharing my sites, I'm a decent door knocker so not too hard to find sites to detect.

I have a farm in South Jersey (Weekstown) that has been in the family since the 1800’s, that sadly we have to sell as my 94 year old grandmother has to go into a home and the property is within the 5 years where all assets have to be burned through before Medicare pays for it.

With that said, sometime in the next couple weeks to month and a half I’ll open up the whole 32 acres to anyone that wants to come out and pound it for a weekend. I’ll probably stay there in an RV and make a whole weekend out of it, I could stay in the house but it’s so damn dusty and musty I’d rather sleep in a tent. I severely dislike the guy buying it all, so want to make sure nothing is left behind. You can bring a tent or camper and make a weekend out of it.

8 acres are cleared, and one old homesite is back in the woods, which was the original site that dates late 1700’s. It burned down in the 1800’s and my family rebuilt where the main house now sits. I’ve only detected it twice and only around the main house (there are three houses and a pony stable), found over a hundred Indians and wheats, and only four silvers (family myth says all the silver is Mason jars buried by my great uncle under a large oak tree...problem is there are a million old oak trees). I did find a lot of different relics, including an old revolver. There is a lot of iron, so some detectors struggle.

I’ll post back to this thread when I have a weekend planned out where there is no rain, so reply back if you’re interested in coming. There are no strings attached, just have fun. The family history has always said my great grandfather didn’t use banks, and my grandmothers brother inherited all the cash and he didn’t like paper money and kept silver hidden, but he died suddenly in a car accident and my grandmother never knew exactly where he kept or buried it, so maybe someone will get lucky.

A handful fromFriendly's forum have RSVP'd to come out, so should be a good time. Just need the rain to stop for a weekend, and that seems like asking a lot this year.

Sorry for the long post, and hello!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 12:37PM by ChrisMD.
Re: Proper Introduction - Hello!
September 11, 2018 12:47PM
Welcome and Good Luck.
September 11, 2018 02:32PM
Hi Chris.

Welcome to the board.

HH
Mike
September 11, 2018 02:45PM
Hello Chris----Welcome to the group & thank you for your service to this country.----------Del
September 11, 2018 03:34PM
welcome! how do you like that (supposedly obsolete)
tesoro mojave?..i own one and do quite well hunting "curb strips
no reason NOT to have it with you when you travel!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 03:35PM by jmaryt.
September 11, 2018 04:05PM
Hi Chris welcome to the forum!!

Glanced through the album quickly ..I really like that small Skillet looks like a old one too...I love cast Iron cookware !!Sometimes you will find a skillet like that in a camp area with lead coating inside where soldiers was melting lead in them...

actually all the stuff is nice especially the Civil war stuff...

Your in a great place(state) to hunt all periods of Americana..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 04:53PM by Keith Southern.
September 11, 2018 04:18PM
Welcome, Chris.
September 11, 2018 04:19PM
Welcome aboard!!

Marylaand, land of the Hoover Boys, seems like every plowed field the detect out there is loaded with coppers and reales eye popping smiley

GL&HH,
Brian
September 11, 2018 05:19PM
Never met him in person...but online I know ChrisMD is a credit to the hobby and one nice dude. Any forum should be glad to have him as a member. smileys with beer

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]
September 11, 2018 05:34PM
Thanks! I really dig the Mojave, it's one of favorites. I call it the slot machine, because I keep it dialed in just at the grab all gold point, don't bother thumbing, and swing and dig like crazy. You never know what you'll get, and because of digging like that I've found some of the coolest most unique finds. My brother is always trying to steal it when he visits. It's also the best loaner machine I have for newbies, just dial the discrim all the way up and watch them dig coin after coin.

jmaryt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> welcome! how do you like that (supposedly obsolete
> )
> tesoro mojave?..i own one and do quite well huntin
> g "curb strips
> no reason NOT to have it with you when you travel!
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.
September 11, 2018 05:39PM
Thanks Keith! Funny you mention that about the skillet, I found it on the field that was used as a Cantonment area for the tank unit that Dwight Eisenhower took over on Camp Meade (now Fort Meade). Some of the guys in my local MD club that I took out there nicknamed that field "The Field of Dreams" because of all the mind blowing finds that came out of it. It's loaded with iron and a super challenge, always fun to bring people there that know how to work the iron well.

Maryland is a great area for detecting. I've been here about 4 years, moved here from Hawaii. Only detected two of the four years so far, always amazed at the diversity of targets.

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Chris welcome to the forum!!
>
> Glanced through the album quickly ..I really like
> that small Skillet looks like a old one too...I lo
> ve cast Iron cookware !!Sometimes you will find a
> skillet like that in a camp area with lead coating
> inside where soldiers was melting lead in them...
>
> actually all the stuff is nice especially the Civi
> l war stuff...
>
> Your in a great place(state) to hunt all periods o
> f Americana..
>
>
> Keith
September 11, 2018 05:58PM
Welcome, Chris, you are a man after my own heart. I'm on my 3rd 75 as well and all the 75's have served me well. Your old farm sounds enticing. HH jim tn
September 11, 2018 06:07PM
slot machine! ehe !he! he! he!,,i like that chris! "kool!"..yeah i take out iron,and marvel at the separation this little guy gives me!
tons of nickles,and does it ever love coins! ..likes to find the "small" gold like the compadre!..

(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 11, 2018 07:34PM
Thanks for the welcome doc holiday, Mike, D&P-OR, Ozzie, and Cal_cobra.

You aren't kidding Cal_Cobra, it's a good place to detect for sure. Nothing but old farm after old farm. I'm looking forward to doing some door knocking now that crops are coming down/mostly all down.

Jim_TN, you too! I can't give the platform up, it's been too good to me. This time I'm not selling no matter what, even if I never used it again I'll hang it in the man cave as tribute, hahaha.

Thanks for the kind words HunterGT! Side note, USPS just dropped the package off, thanks again for the giveaway brother. My wife went right for the amethyst bottle, so I owe you one for putting a smile on the ole lady's face.
September 11, 2018 09:58PM
Welcome Chris and thanks for your service to our country!

Sounds like a great weekend planned there on a great site. Wish I lived closer because I’d take you up on the offer!

Keep us informed/updated thumbs down
September 12, 2018 02:54PM
Hello, back, ChrisMD, and thanks for the personal details and invite "to the farm." It's awful tempting; will give it some thought.
I'm in the Greensboro area, central NC, and primarily chase CW stuff in farm fields. Some colonial finds now and then.
My email is listed in my user profile.
Look forward to seeing more of you here. Sounds like you've got lots to share. Again, welcome!

Wayne