Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How many detectorist

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How many detectorist
May 03, 2011 07:38PM
How many detectorist here have back problems.
Lower back problems.
Anyone ever used the back2life back machine for their back?
Re: How many detectorist
May 03, 2011 09:09PM
No back problems, probably because I've been working out since I was a teenager. Many back problems are caused by injury, but the majority, in my opinion, are likely due to lack of exercise and being overweight. Pain can be caused by the spasming of strained, weakened, and overworked muscles. It can also be caused by a slipped or herniated disc, or a problem with the vertebrae itself. If you haven't had it checked out yet, it's always a good idea to get a medical diagnoses to try to determine what the problem is, because the proper solution could take very different forms: weight loss, immobilization, surgery, etc.. I'm not too impressed with the back2life machine. All it does is put a gentle stretch on the lower back. It's one of those things that might help some people but probably won't do much for most. A couple of better choices would be an inversion table to help decompress the entire spine, and a back extension bench to help strengthen it. You could get them at places that sell home gym equipment. While we are on the subject of sore backs; how about all the MD'ers out there with bad knees? That's another weight loss issue......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 09:31PM by mrwilburino.
May 03, 2011 10:16PM
Hip on left side but I can dig for hours

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 03, 2011 10:18PM
I hurt my back 24 years ago.The heating pad on my lower back always helps.If not there's always Vicodin.Usually metal detecting and digging targets helps my back pain except when it is spasms.Adjusting the detector to fit you is the big key.Don't reach on your swings as you may twist wrong.Sunday I dug 80 coins and 7 jewelry pieces in a tot lot.The first piece of gold jewelry,a small 10k Snowflake pin,made that nagging pain mysteriously vanish.I can hunt with my V3i for long periods of time as I have it setup(adjusted) for me.I did a 6 hour hunt on one day last week with no back pain.Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2011 02:12PM by kickback.
May 04, 2011 01:23AM
Had a severe back injury in 98' but with active physiotherapy, read exercise, been OK since with only minor aches and I am an Arborist doing heavy tree work so my back takes a beating. The walking during detecting helps keep the low back loose too!
Try to find a good physio, and good luck to you.

Drew.
May 04, 2011 01:27AM
I guess ive been lucky. Im 59 and came out of the service even as an Airborne soldier without any injuries. But until recently ive always been in great shape.

Dew
May 04, 2011 02:14AM
I have tried everything from physical therapy to traction to heat and cold to pain killers, you name it I've tried it.
I had 4 discs removed from my neck and the vertebrae fused with a titanium plate in August of last year. As a result, the last disc at the bottom of my neck is now degenerating causing a compression of the nerve root between C7 and T1 which in turn causes numbness and loss of fine motor control in my arms and hands.

Because of this I stay away from heavier detectors though and hip mount my CZs.
I am thinking about trying to hip mount my F75 LTD but haven't had the guts to tear into it yet. The simplest nondestructive thing I have thought of so far is to buy a CZ shaft to mount the F75 coil on and use a shoulder strap to hold the upper shaft section of the F75 using a coil extension cord to connect the two. For now I keep the shaft relatively short so the coil stays close to my feet and my arm stays relatively straight. It makes for slow going but causes much less neck and back aggravation. I use a 40" Lesche Ground Shark shovel which makes it easier to dig deep, small diameter holes without as much bending or kneeling.
I really want to try a V3i but am leery of the weight/balance. After reading kickback's post I might have to rethink that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2011 01:49PM by Neugene.
May 04, 2011 03:34AM
I have a serious SJ problem....sacro illiac.........can you say...6-8 Vicodan a day, every day. Went out today.........feels like Godzilla stepped on my back. Must be Love......lol...........30 yr's of this hobby. And it does derive from Service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2011 04:07AM by TerraDigger.
dewcon4414
May 04, 2011 03:47AM
82nd. airborne here.........1st. 508th.......out in 67
Re: dewcon4414
May 04, 2011 10:01AM
I have a lot of back pain. My neck was operated on years ago & that relieved a lot of its pain. It still aches, some. I was told that I would probably have to have another neck surgery some time later due to its deteriating condition.
I don't have & haven't tried the product you mention. I have an inversion table which helps my lower back. I also have a bar , much like used for chin-ups, that I " hang " from that helps my mid-upper back. Those with Ibuprofen & a Chiropractor take care of the rest. Old injuries & scoliosis caused mine.