Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The fate of Tesoro?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: The fate of Tesoro?
October 16, 2018 10:35PM
Thehuntergt you are right some folk are against evolution, because they dont understand or master it mostly. Those people arent the evolutive type but not only for metal detecting usualy, they had the same work their whole life doing the same stupid task... you cant believe how much of those type we have in french forums... it has nothing to do with collection or loving vintage.
Btw what will happen if laser buy back tesoro , could it be possible ?
October 17, 2018 12:25AM
I'm somewhat technically competent and not entirely living in the past. I like dedicated knobs on detectors for a simple reason--with them adjustments are faster and easier than with switches and menus. As for tones vs TID, consider which you would give up if you could have only one. We could all manage with only tones; not so much with only TID...

Sure, properly implemented, TID may add something to the information presented by tones. But, that isn't the main reason they sell. Machines with TID, especially the cheap models sold at big box stores and on Amazon, sell so well because consumers believe the TID will magically tell them what is down there. We all know it isn't quite that easy.
October 17, 2018 01:06AM
Dubious Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm somewhat technically competent and not entirel
> y living in the past. I like dedicated knobs on de
> tectors for a simple reason--with them adjustments
> are faster and easier than with switches and menus
> . As for tones vs TID, consider which you would gi
> ve up if you could have only one. We could all ma
> nage with only tones; not so much with only TID...
>
> Sure, properly implemented, TID may add something
> to the information presented by tones. But, that i
> sn't the main reason they sell. Machines with TID
> , especially the cheap models sold at big box stor
> es and on Amazon, sell so well because consumers b
> elieve the TID will magically tell them what is do
> wn there. We all know it isn't quite that easy.

On a modern detector like the XP or CTX...that would be like 20-30 knobs. I'm not trying to run some command center from 1950's Russia.

The fact is that there is only so much room on a faceplate before you can't add any more knobs. You need a menu interface at that point...which means you add an LCD....which means you might as well add ID since the technology is there.

Nobody needs to place themselves into a hindered scenario where TID does not exist....it does exist. We CAN have the best of both worlds. Tone and visual.

Run disc zero on a Tesoro and call a dime in heavy trash. Ain't happening. Go grab a decent TID machine. It's happening.

IMO...a newb is going to do MUCH better with a TID machine than a tone only machine.

Hand a T2 to a newb...in monotone disc 0....and tell them to go detect....they will HATE this hobby instantly.

Tell them to go dig ONLY TID numbers in the +1-2 range of...58...83...88.....they will come back with a handful of change and have a spark that will lead them into learning tone nuances later.

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]
October 17, 2018 04:30AM
TheHunterGT Wrote:

> On a modern detector like the XP or CTX...that would be like 20-30 knobs. I'm not trying to run some command center from 1950's Russia.
>

I about spit out my wine, that's some funny @#$%& right there!!

Your analogies are spot on. But to each their own, use what works for you, if you like old school and it works, cool, if you're more into modernized machines, their a lot of fun and offer a lot of options for those that like that kind of thing (adjustable iron audio is a beautiful thing in an iron infested relic site). I gave up my flip phone about 15 years ago, but hey they still work - lol

HH,
Cal
October 17, 2018 05:14AM
TheHunterGT Wrote:
> Dubious Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm somewhat technically competent and not entir
> el
> > y living in the past. I like dedicated knobs on
> de
> > tectors for a simple reason--with them adjustmen
> ts
> > are faster and easier than with switches and men
> us
> > . As for tones vs TID, consider which you would
> gi
> > ve up if you could have only one. We could all
> ma
> > nage with only tones; not so much with only TID.
> ..
> >
> > Sure, properly implemented, TID may add somethin
> g
> > to the information presented by tones. But, that
> i
> > sn't the main reason they sell. Machines with T
> ID
> > , especially the cheap models sold at big box st
> or
> > es and on Amazon, sell so well because consumers
> b
> > elieve the TID will magically tell them what is
> do
> > wn there. We all know it isn't quite that easy.
>
>
> On a modern detector like the XP or CTX...that wou
> ld be like 20-30 knobs. I'm not trying to run so
> me command center from 1950's Russia.
>
> The fact is that there is only so much room on a f
> aceplate before you can't add any more knobs. Yo
> u need a menu interface at that point...which mean
> s you add an LCD....which means you might as well
> add ID since the technology is there.
>
> Nobody needs to place themselves into a hindered s
> cenario where TID does not exist....it does exist.
> We CAN have the best of both worlds. Tone and vis
> ual.
>
> Run disc zero on a Tesoro and call a dime in heavy
> trash. Ain't happening. Go grab a decent TID mac
> hine. It's happening.
>
> IMO...a newb is going to do MUCH better with a TID
> machine than a tone only machine.
>
> Hand a T2 to a newb...in monotone disc 0....and te
> ll them to go detect....they will HATE this hobby
> instantly.
>
> Tell them to go dig ONLY TID numbers in the +1-2 r
> ange of...58...83...88.....they will come back wit
> h a handful of change and have a spark that will l
> ead them into learning tone nuances later.

i just love my tesoro for tot lots and sidewalk tear outs,and side walk "old" easements.a tesoro,used with a 7" coil,under these conditions,is a''ton" of fun,mainly because you are hunting a relatively contained "small' area,so it becomes easy to use the single tone,set to eliminate iron nails and dig everything else!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2018 05:16AM by jmaryt.
October 17, 2018 09:38AM
Go get em j.t. We are both kind of old school, I guess. You with your Tesoro's and me with my rekindled F 75. Funny, though, they each are still finding treasure. HH jim tn
October 17, 2018 09:47AM
Being old school as a user and customer is great. Being old school as a detector manufacturer? Not so great.
October 17, 2018 09:56AM
You are right, goodmore. Perhaps some old school was just way ahead of their time and others just more recently have caught up with them??? Anyway, its a great hobby. HH jim tn
October 17, 2018 12:26PM
jim tn Wrote:
> Go get em j.t. We are both kind of old school, I g
> uess. You with your Tesoro's and me with my rekind
> led F 75. Funny, though, they each are still findi
> ng treasure. HH jim tn

Hey Jim-----I STILL haven't found one that I like better than my Etrac!-----What's that say about me????-----Be nice now!grinning smiley
October 17, 2018 01:35PM
VID and multi-tone audio ID detectors will not correctly ID a gold diamond ring or a gold coin lying next to a nail or pull tab. My best finds have been when I was swinging a Tesoro. For 'cherry picking' silver coins, nothing has beaten my F75 so far. It found me in one year 253 silver coins (plus a lot of other good finds) in just 101 hunts without getting skunked on finding a silver coin. Cherry picking is super easy but you're passing over a lot of masked coins and other good finds. For finding the stuff that's left behind, Tesoro and Deeptech are good choices.

tabman
October 17, 2018 02:39PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Yes but it's like some People prefer Hunting with
> a Bow and arrow over a Gun. It makes it more of a
> challenge.
> I doubt if they will ever stop making Bow and arro
> ws, But Gun sales will be more of course. But Bow
> hunters will always have a nitch in the hobby. I t
> hink their could be that same little nitch for non
> TID Detectors.

Very true that, BUT.
Even the bow and arrow has evolved greatly over the yrs. The bows, from the longbow, to the recurve, to the compound bow, to the current crossbows which have comprised HUGE sales in the last ten yrs. The arrows used to be a shaft of hickory, then aluminum, now carbon fiber. The broadheads, a single blade, then multiple blades, to the current multiple blade-expanding broadheads. How many hunters out there are still using a longbow w/a single bladed, hickory shafted arrow?

Innovation, efficiency is the game now.

Many Tesoro faithful asked for some basic additions to popular models over the yrs. which would have retained the basic configuration but with more tone options, ground balance, etc. It didn't happen. Unfortunately with Jack's passing any new designs/engineering abilities went with him.

If Tesoro ends up closing the doors, the only hope is that another manufacturer buys the name and rights to their products, and continue to produce them with some innovations/updates. The lifetime warranty would have to go, it's a money pit servicing 20+yr old machines for free. To do all that, it would have to be profitable, therein lies the rub. Are there enough people in that niche who still want to purchase and use a longbow?
October 17, 2018 03:33PM
EMField Wrote:
> Are there enough people in that niche who still wa
> nt to purchase and use a longbow?

Nope. If there were enough people purchasing them....this topic would never be started in the first place. Simple as that.

Vince fired his employees without warning. One employee posting publicly on TNET on how pissed off and shocked he was. Terry Soloman....the Tesoro golden boy....was lied to when he point blank asked Vince on company status a week earlier.

This is the guy that is supposed to go overseas and make it work? This is the guy a buyout company would have to deal with? This is a guy that can restructure? There is your fate right there.

I cannot see a single scenario where another metal detecting company buys them out. They literally have nothing of value other than overstock. If the "die hard" Tesoro faithful could not keep it afloat...why would anybody else see market value there?

I mean this topic literally turned into a "why Tesoros are good in certain situations"......if they were that "good".....they would still be selling well and the company would be afloat.

Their last big hoorah was changing the colors black.....and the Mojave. Cazador was probably never even on a drawing board. Pretty sure the Spanish translation is "we got nothing".

All the "die hard" Tesoro guys are rocking 10-20 year old machines they got repaired for free. If YOU are their main attraction...and you have not supported them in a decade....how is this a surprise?

October 17, 2018 04:33PM
My first post here after following this forum for years.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth:

DeepTech should buy Tesoro, assemble their products here and badge them as Tesoros.

Everyone wins. The Tesoro users who wished for 2 tones, more depth etc. would have that. DeepTech wins because they're now selling their product in North America to a larger audience. Tesoro (the company) wins because the people stay employed, and designs are done in Europe.

Dan
October 17, 2018 04:36PM
Capital Idea!
Now if only we could get Deeptech to bite....
October 17, 2018 06:45PM
Just for the record I have had a Etrac since the first month they came out but also own a CZ-3D and Golden uMax. So not totally in the past but still love My Analogs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2018 10:09PM by Harold,ILL..
October 17, 2018 07:18PM
Nothing wrong with analog. Look at the come back of tube amplifiers, and vinyl in audio, more warmth in the sound it produces.
Analog has its own special cachet. If you like digital great, if you like analog great.
They both work and it comes down to individual preference, and what is fun for the person on the end of that machine.
October 17, 2018 10:10PM
Careful about that digital only stuff. Every one of us humans is analog. One day...........
October 17, 2018 11:17PM
Dan B Wrote:
> My first post here after following this forum for
> years.
>
> Anyway, my 2 cents worth:
>
> DeepTech should buy Tesoro, assemble their product
> s here and badge them as Tesoros.
>
> Everyone wins. The Tesoro users who wished for 2 t
> ones, more depth etc. would have that. DeepTech wi
> ns because they're now selling their product in No
> rth America to a larger audience. Tesoro (the comp
> any) wins because the people stay employed, and de
> signs are done in Europe.
>
> Dan

Excellent ideal!

tabman
Re: The fate of Tesoro? I still use themthumbs down
October 17, 2018 11:28PM
For my money, I'll go with Jack Gifford's design, it will beat any and all comers in the small iron....just my opinion.
October 18, 2018 05:16AM
jim tn Wrote:
> Go get em j.t. We are both kind of old school, I g
> uess. You with your Tesoro's and me with my rekind
> led F 75. Funny, though, they each are still findi
> ng treasure. HH jim tn

it's true jim! hey! whatever it takes!..not too shabby for an 80's
analog design .outrageously good "iron hunter"..the bottom three: compadre,silver u-max,and now the mojave kept the wolves away.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
October 18, 2018 07:25PM
Well one thing about it, A digital Detector will never have as sweet an audio sound as a analog. Minelab Etrac/ Explorers come close if You adjust the volume gain but the rest sound like a pinball machine in heat.
It's like Comparing the sound of a Rice grinder to a Harley.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 07:28PM by Harold,ILL..
October 18, 2018 08:12PM
I agree. They need an infusion of success.
October 19, 2018 04:42AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Well one thing about it, A digital Detector will n
> ever have as sweet an audio sound as a analog. Min
> elab Etrac/ Explorers come close if You adjust the
> volume gain but the rest sound like a pinball mach
> ine in heat.
> It's like Comparing the sound of a Rice grinder to
> a Harley.

dead nuts on! harold! a tesoro's audio modulation at relatively shallow depths and beyond are so smooth,and distinct.nice round coin sound,soft and distinct.the response reminds me of
high frequency 100 khz detectors. whites 4db comes to mind.
found a lot of coins for me back in the 70's

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 09, 2018 04:07AM
To this day,I recommend the Tesoro Compadre as a good basic starter detector for someone new to detecting.I have a nearby civil war campsite that I have pounded for several years,using an Etrac,a Sovereign,an XL-Pro,an Eagle!,a DFX and probably a couple of others.After all of these,I found the only two coins found on this site with a Tesoro Vaquero.Most newer detectors are just too overwhelming for a beginner.
November 09, 2018 05:39PM
TheHunterGT Wrote:

>
> On a modern detector like the XP or CTX...that wou
> ld be like 20-30 knobs. I'm not trying to run so
> me command center from 1950's Russia.
>

It's usually a poor design, IMHO, that requires that many settings, and all of them buried in menus and sub-menus.
November 09, 2018 05:48PM
poor design... now that's funny. A detector that can be customized to persons preference is a poor design because you have to access a few menu settingsā€¦. How about a I PHONE...
November 09, 2018 06:50PM
Calabash is right, if you resist to long, you will be left behind !! Like it not ,all products are progressing.Detector manufactures are giving us more options......We need to try to fully understand how to use that to our advantage. HH Tony
November 09, 2018 07:01PM
Dubious Wrote:
> TheHunterGT Wrote:
>
> >
> > On a modern detector like the XP or CTX...that w
> ou
> > ld be like 20-30 knobs. I'm not trying to run
> so
> > me command center from 1950's Russia.
> >
>
> It's usually a poor design, IMHO, that requires th
> at many settings, and all of them buried in menus
> and sub-menus.

Poor design? Not sure I follow the logic there....but I'll play devil's advocate.

All those extra options and settings are not needed because they don't fit on a faceplate full of knobs and switches? That is a tough sell....

Notch - notch width - notch volume - tone break - # of tones - tone pitch - tone volume - freq shift - freq adjust - disc - power on/off - custom saved modes - factory programs.....etc...

I could probably add another 12 settings. A menu and sub-menu is looking pretty good right about now since LCD technology is dirt cheap. Probably cheaper than adding all those knobs and pots.

But no...let's just eliminate these useful and functional settings since they are a "poor design" and won't fit on a faceplate.

Let's just go with the bare minimum basics and see where that will get us as we head into the future.....oh yeah....it gets us threads like this where the company went bye bye like the customers who were wanting more out of their purchase.

I'll say it again....95% of their customer base bought 1-2 of them...then used the lifetime warranty and never bought another one. It is not difficult to see why Tesoro went away...or took a break...or whatever we are calling it today.

Lifetime warranties in the electronics business is about as stupid as can be...for the company. All well and good for the consumer....but about as stupid as can be for a company who wants to stay in business and employ a workforce. (I am sure there are exceptions - Tesoro NOT being one of them).

November 09, 2018 07:34PM
I have to admit that I've only bought one (1) Tesoro new in the box from Dealer and that one was a Golden uMax. All the other's models I've owned (4 Cortes, 2 Inca, 4 Tejon, 1 Lobo ST, 4 Golden uMax, 4 Golden Sabre II, 2 Pantera, 1 Golden Sabre Plus, 1, Golden Sabre, 1 Compadre,) were all bought used/2nd hand.

What can I say, they were reliable units and buying 2nd hand was as good as buying new and the used price was more in line with their value.

HH
Mike
November 10, 2018 12:27AM
I for one hope Tesoro can put it back together somehow. Their machines still have certain capabilities I like and I plan to keep one or two in my arsenal going forward. I actually have 2 Compadre machines now one small coil and one 8 inch coil. Why am I keeping two of the entry level machines? Because they are awesome for a couple purposes. #1 I like to set them at about foil and use them in the tot lots to clean up. The smaller coil one is good for getting close to the metal playground equipment in my area. #2 They are easy to explain and hand to my wife or daughter that occasionally go detecting with me.

I keep thinking about picking up a Vaquero since so many sing it's praises. Curious if I should act sooner or later on that one.