Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any T2 or Omega 8000 users in Atlanta or Ga.? - "EMI question"

Posted by PulltabPirate 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any T2 or Omega 8000 users in Atlanta or Ga.? - "EMI question"
May 06, 2011 05:27PM
I'm brand new here but I'm thinking about trading my XLT for a T2 - T2Ltd or an Omega 8000 - My question is.... I've heard A LOT about "Chatter" or EMI sensitivity issues with these machines. I live in a LARGE Metro area (N. Atlanta Ga.) and am surrounded by well, EVERYTHING! Are these machines going to be a pain in the @#@ in my area or... I'm also wondering how they "Handle" our Ga. red clay soil. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!
Re: Any T2 or Omega 8000 users in Atlanta or Ga.? - "EMI question"
May 06, 2011 10:07PM
Sounds like you live fairly close to Stone Mountain. It is my deepest recommendation to acquire a Minelab Explorer or E-Trac for your highly lateritic magnetite red soil. You are in some of the worst soil in the country. Your biggest concern......is to 'see' through some of the dirt. Normally, I would recommend a T2/F75 SE............but..........you have extenuating circumstances.
Why fix what ain't broke..
May 07, 2011 12:14PM
Seems like you made a good run with Whites so why change as they are an excellent longtime company that builds excellent units with super service after the sale..As far as some of these new units just too heavy, poorly made and yes EMI is prevalent in many. In your case stick with what works for you..
May 08, 2011 05:42AM
@ NASA-Tom - I can see Stone Mntn. from my house! I will look at the Explorer a little closer but I've heard the T2's "Killer" in my red clay? Not true? (Do you like any White's units Tom?) @ Dan-Pa. I'd actually like to simplify things a good bit! Whites are just loaded down with to much "stuff" for me & with a shoulder issue requiring regular chiropractic care, they've just become too heavy! That's a concern about those Minelabs too! Thanks a million for the advice guys! I'll take all I can get!!

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!
May 08, 2011 12:10PM
Forget the T2 in your soil.

Get a used Explorer XS or II with an additional small coil and have at it!
May 09, 2011 01:16AM
The T2 will not handle the extreme red clay in N. Central GA. The Minelab Explorer/E-Trac will somewhat handle this type of soil. Yes, it's quite a heavy unit.........but the only unit that I'm aware of.......that will somewhat have a bit of success in your blood-red clay. As far as Whites.......the TDI would do very well with your red clay; yet, two problems pose. It's a pulse induction unit (with very little intelligence)....and is a very heavy unit.
May 09, 2011 02:09PM
Hello everyone, I have to tell you about my experience with a re-borrowed Explorer SE.

At this particular site sits a old brick one room school house (still standing), not sure of the date but it's on a 1876 map, so at least it's that old. The area is only about 1/2 an acre. I have hunted it a half dozen times with my old f-75 and found only wheats and a few buffs, no silver. The area is loaded with hot rocks and in any hole there can be handfulls below the surface, causes the f-75 to run a bit jumpy. I started off with the SE doing the noise cancel and ran it mostly wide open like I do with the f-75. I was on iron mask at 29 with sens @ 28, deep on. I covered the area only to find (not incl trash) one wheat..darn!

I decided to try a discrim pattern, so I went in and checked and x-ed the items I was and wasn't interested in, checking coins, jewelry and x-ing out pull tabs, iron nails, screw caps etc. I looked at the smart screen and it was over 50% black and in some of the white areas were spots of black also. I thought "The first chirp I get, I'm digging for crying out loud, look at all that discrimination, how am I going to seperate anything if I can't hear it". Well, I started swinging slow, about a 2 second sweep and got a short little high blip. I hovered over it trying to get two ways, but it wouldn't, I'm diggin it. Get down through the hot rocks (they set off my Garrett pro pointer) and 7" down I get a flash of silver, this is a fluke, how can this be. Pulled out a 27 merc, put it in my pocket and thought; lets try that again. Five minutes later, same thing except out comes a silver rosie. Wow, I'm falling in love and gaining respect for this SE. I look over at my truck and see my f-75 looking out the window,.. hope she understands.
Anyway, went on to find another merc and another silver rosie and a few wheats, the same way.

What I think I learned from this experience is; not to rely on my hearing to discriminate, as with all the tones coming from the f-75 and seperating the good from the bad myself. But to let the machine do what it's designed for, thats very hard for me to do. It also sunk in my slow to learn brain that there are high end detectors that are better in some areas and sites than others, this site the SE trumped the 75. Now I'm excited to get to the sites where the 75 has difficulty and swing the SE.

I do have a problem using discrim on the 75, and that being the crackel and pops. I'd rather hear the full tone vs. the " what the hell is that" noise. Either give me a plethora of full tones or be quiet. That's why I run the 75 full out, I hear the full tones and don't feel I'm missing anything. The SE is different in that respect with its discrimination. You get a few warbles here and there but it's mostly quiet. I know the SE isn't as fast as the 75 and it's hard to slow down, but it was worth it.
I was suprised with the seperation ability of the SE. If its slower than the 75, how did it squeek out the silver amongst the hot rocks where the 75 didn't or couldn't. Maybe I should give the 75 's discrim another chance...I don't know, my thoughts are clogging up.
May 09, 2011 02:58PM
Thanks for all the input and advice! I MAY kick myself later but I just got an AMAZING Deal on a F75 LTD with 3 coils! I'd sure have to find a lot of Silver to make up the difference in cost from what I'll be paying to the top of the line ML. Of course I respect Toms (& others) advice, that's an understatement but some deals are too good to pass up! Wish me luck!!

May 10, 2011 03:14AM
Did you perform a head-to-head comparison with the silver coins that you found with the Minelab.......and see what the F75 would report?
May 10, 2011 11:15AM
No Tom, I did not.. I knew you were going to ask me that question. I wasn't doing a real head to head. I was just checking out the SE to see how it would handle the hot rocks. Ive been over that small area many times with the 75 and I would say that pulling 4 silvers in that short time does warrent a h to h comparison. That site has poor growing grass and many areas just have some moss. The layering from top to bottom is as follows; top soil mixed with pea gravel, hot rocks mixed with soil below that, an inch or two layer of ash, more dirt, then a clay layer, totaling about 12 inches give or take. The rocks that set off the pointer and the detectors around here are always (when opened) high gloss black and fairly hard. They look like coal. The layering of the soil and the age of the building compared to the coin dates tells me that some fill was placed and the older coins are below the 12 inch strata. Unfortunatly, they will remain there. A Mennonite Church owns the property and to get permission just to detect I had to go through the board, and that took over a month. They were gracious enough to let me on the property when ever I want and never once did anyone stop me or aproach me to see what I was doing, not even out of curosity.
May 10, 2011 01:08PM
Fill-dirt is more common than most would think. And if it was added 30 years ago....you would never know it to the naked eye. The shovel can tell.

Yes, I have asked permission to hunt sites .... that took 2 years to finally acquire permission................ only to find out....that no one cared anyway. ((( Makes me wonder about the validity: "It is easier to ask for forgiveness.....than it is to ask for permission" )))

Head-to-head testing teaches many-a-tuition.
May 10, 2011 11:57PM
Tom, I just re-read your article on "head to head comparison testing", I catch your drift.