Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Test gardens

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Test gardens
November 13, 2018 11:37PM
How much faith or dependence do you guys put in your test garden results or someone else's (you tube mainly) when youre actually in the field.
Re: Test gardens
November 13, 2018 11:49PM
None anymore.
After buying several detectors because they hit 10” dimes on YouTube, in supposed bad ground, I finally figured out I just have to
do my own testing to see what works here. (Pacific Northwest) Most all the big brand detectors fall on their face in my ground after 6”.
No matter how deep they are on the east side of the country..

Bryan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2018 12:13AM by Cabin Fever.
November 13, 2018 11:59PM
I test all new detectors in real world scenarios against my other detectors that perform good in my ground here in Colorado. What others get across the country can be significantly different for me. My test garden is the local pounded old park with the new machine and a couple of older machines to see if it stacks up to flagged targets. If it don't it goes away.
November 14, 2018 12:00AM
When I had one it was more of gauge I could use to compare detectors or make some adjustments. Not everyone’s test garden are created equal no more than air tests. Most are used to support their argument.
November 14, 2018 12:06AM
Well they are not fun to watch. Especially as you said when you know your situation is going to be different. But every once in a while something interesting comes from them. Take for instance the recovery speed setting on this new Equinox large coil. It really has an effect. Found out by everyone's favorite .......Calabash. The sharing of info on the forums about test garden findings can be compared and at least investigated. To sum it all up.....they are useful tool in my opinion.
November 14, 2018 12:12AM
Bill long Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much faith or dependence do you guys put in y
> our test garden results or someone else's (you tub
> e mainly) when youre actually in the field.

none! i like to be pleasantly surprised!
hunt everywhere else,but not in "test gardens!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 14, 2018 12:55AM
I’ll say this.
If a detector don’t pass GO in Calabash’s yard for depth, I am not interested.
Ort to be a law against soil like his. Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2018 12:57AM by tnsharpshooter.
November 14, 2018 04:20AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> I’ll say this.
> If a detector don’t pass GO in Calabash’s yard for
> depth, I am not interested.
> Ort to be a law against soil like his. Lol

tesoros are f**ked then!..no question! (lol!)

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2018 04:21AM by jmaryt.
November 14, 2018 05:04AM
My test garden is the only one that matter to me. Everyone else has different results from different soil. I do however like to see how others fair from their own especially if they have difficult soil and EMI like Calabash.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
November 14, 2018 06:56AM
I've had detectors pass my test plot in the yard and fail miserably in the field at my high mineral ground bullet site. But I've never had one fail in the test plot that did well in that field. Once upon a time, that field WAS my test garden spot. You can't get any better than a 150 year old test plot with numerous targets. The problem is...it has been for sale. The original owner passed away and their kid lives in Florida and doesn't want the place. They have hopes of a subdivision coming into it. Some other local guys found it too and have hammered it to death with pulse machines. Last time I was there was testing the Equinox when it came out and dig holes where all over the place. I need to get down there and do another video or two before it's gone forever.
November 14, 2018 08:54AM
November 14, 2018 05:14PM
I've hunted mostly 5 to 6 bar dirt in Colorado and California...and only dreamed about the soil Calabash Digger has. My Colorado test bed was a nightmare for detectors. 5-6 inches tops. Then Calabash could take the same detector an get 12 inch hits with it in his soil.

I put more merit into an air test (for a single freq VLF)...since I can travel anywhere in the world and get the same results. If a VLF is not going to air test well - there is little chance of it performing in the dirt well - even Calabash type dirt.

If it can give me 10 inches on an air test...then it can go onto "phase 2" for some dirt testing at various locations to see what the real deal is.

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]
November 14, 2018 05:33PM
I only use others peoples youtube test garden videos to hear the detector audio. The actual results are meaningless to me because, as others have already said, their dirt isn't my dirt. Their requirements aren't my requirements and their detector settings are not my detector settings. Sometimes they don't even know how to use the particular detector they are making the video for, And, as we have recently witnessed, you don't even know if their detector is working properly.

I do know I personally would like to have a test bed to supplement my bench testing efforts in understanding my detectors better, especially my more complicated ones. For now I just leave a few found targets in a few different locations undue and revisit them when I get back around to that site.

Of course to make a test bed I'd have to haul in some dirt from somewhere to cover up the granite.

HH
Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2018 05:48PM by Mike Hillis.
November 15, 2018 12:37AM
If I didn't have a test garden, I wouldn't know that my Equinox 800 in Park and Field modes will only pick up a silver dime at a max depth of 10" in my local dirt, but Gold mode will get a 12" silver dime and a 15" silver quarter.

The test garden is the first place I take any new detector.
November 15, 2018 01:47AM
If it wasn't for test-gardens …..(especially Mfr test-gardens)...… you would not have the technological-advancement detectors that you have today.
November 15, 2018 02:22AM
Here’s a garden started by manufacturer.
[m.youtube.com]#

Test gardens are a place to at least start with a new to you detector.
A starting reference is important.
And realizing your garden may or may not be representative of all grounds you plan or do detect is key.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2018 02:28AM by tnsharpshooter.
November 15, 2018 02:32AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> If it wasn't for test-gardens …..(especially Mfr t
> est-gardens)...… you would not have the technologi
> cal-advancement detectors that you have today.

Good point Tom..... I'll let the turbo-geeks do all the thinking and then they take my money.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant