Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Proper swing technique..

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Proper swing technique..
November 16, 2018 05:42PM
Heres a video to help the new guy with his swing style...swing
Re: Proper swing technique..
November 16, 2018 06:48PM
Ole' Cal givin' tips!
November 16, 2018 06:50PM
You are one hundred percent correct about coil control. Good video. I beach hunt....I used to wear out a coil cover at least every 6 months just because I keep that coil on the sand. To go along with that... many on the ML machines don’t like an air gap. I hear people say my detector doesn’t get good depth. Then like you showed....they are 4 or 5” off the ground. In the water that golf swing or coil flip will cause most machines to false and the beginning and end of the swing.
November 16, 2018 08:06PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are one hundred percent correct about coil con
> trol. Good video. I beach hunt....I used to wear
> out a coil cover at least every 6 months just beca
> use I keep that coil on the sand. To go along wit
> h that... many on the ML machines don’t like an ai
> r gap. I hear people say my detector doesn’t get
> good depth. Then like you showed....they are 4 or
> 5” off the ground. In the water that golf swing or
> coil flip will cause most machines to false and th
> e beginning and end of the swing.

+1.

Dean
November 16, 2018 08:31PM
It was a neutral one too... lol Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Ole' Cal givin' tips!
November 17, 2018 01:23AM
Coil control is perhaps in the top 3 things that people overlook when it comes to figuring out WHY they may not be finding as much as their peers. This goes with going back to the BASICS...a nice sports car won’t handle well with tires that are half flat....a great vacuum cleaner won’t work well if it’s half plugged and the roller is packed with hair....
The GREAT machine(whatever brand or model it is) is in your hand. Any mid level and higher(even some lower end ones) can find many many good targets. Can YOU?
November 17, 2018 08:35PM
Yep some don't believe in coil covers but that's one reason I always use one because I scrub the coil when I search for every last bit of depth.
November 19, 2018 01:43PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
> Coil control is perhaps in the top 3 things that p
> eople overlook when it comes to figuring out WHY t
> hey may not be finding as much as their peers. Thi
> s goes with going back to the BASICS...a nice spor
> ts car won’t handle well with tires that are half
> flat....a great vacuum cleaner won’t work well if
> it’s half plugged and the roller is packed with ha
> ir....
> The GREAT machine(whatever brand or model it is) i
> s in your hand. Any mid level and higher(even some
> lower end ones) can find many many good targets. C
> an YOU?

I have been in this hobby since 1969. Not only will I agree that Coil Control is in the top 3 things that people overlook, I will call it the top ONE thing that will will increase anybody's finds. You can have the Ground Balance off a bit and still find targets, you can have the Sensitivity off and still finds targets, you can have your Gain or Recovery off a bit and still finds targets. But if your coil is not parallel and virtually scuffing the round, then you are not really getting the coil over the target at a height or angel that you can recognize it as a good target. I have seen a guy with great swing/coil management technique swing a cheap Bounty Hunter and beating the crap out of a guy with a very high end Minelab who thought just because he had an expensive detector, would out hunt everybody. You gotta laugh at some people's logic (or rather, lack of it)!
Kudos Calabash digger on a point of detecting technique, that about 98% of detectorist really should stop and think about!

Joe

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.”
November 19, 2018 01:51PM
That's so true...
November 19, 2018 02:43PM
People used to make me shake my head at the DIV hunts. Up there, you have just wide open rolling fields. I'm used to down here in TN and GA where a big field is 30 acres, and mostly with trees on the sides of it, and you can't see very far due to the trees. Up there, a single field could stretch for a mile in several directions with hardly any trees or woods. Point being...if you are on top of a hill looking out at a rolling field below you, you can see for a pretty good clip. There were hunters up there that would start on one end of these fields, and cover 500 yards distance with their feet....but only swing their detector maybe 8 to 10 times in a 100 yard stretch. These people never find much...if you can imagine that. While at the condos at the beaches we go to, I see detectorists doing the same thing there too...with beach and condos as far as the eye can see in both directions...they will be gone out of sight in just a few minutes.
November 19, 2018 03:28PM
Folks watch the perimeter of their coil while sweeping.
No, no.
Instead look at small strip in the middle like 3” wide.
If you’re after the deeper stuff, this will do.
Might even be smaller than 3”wide.

Divide an 11” heel to toe coil by 3, equals tad more than 3.
Lay down two yard sticks 11” apart.
Check your sweep advancement.
I’ll bet most folks only sweep 1 or 2 times max and they are out the space between the yardsticks,
Instead should be sweeping at least 3 and maybe 4 times before the center section comes out of the yard stick spacing.

One thing to note.
I’ll bet a lot of coins are found once a person gets lucky and finds one,,meaning once they find say a good silver coin or perhaps good relic. Then their actual sweep technique gets better (shorter) advancement and even coil height management. They start bearing down. Question is when they were sloppy what did they walk past earlier??

This area btw as far as Detectors go, I think there is room for some sorta tech to be created. Maybe using GPS if it could be accurate enough. Where parameters could be set and the detector would tell the user if they are sweeping advancement wise per parameters set.
Or even be able to go back and get an actual readout of where you covered the ground per set standards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2018 03:35PM by tnsharpshooter.