Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP Deus? Why does it even have a target ID??

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XP Deus? Why does it even have a target ID??
November 17, 2018 02:21PM
Its gotta be the bounciest target ID detector on the market. My old Teknetics T2 wasn't even close to being that bouncy even with horrible EMI around. The Deus is truly a tone hunting only detector. I think it's a piece of junk when it comes to proper target ID. In modern trashy sites there's definitely a lot better machines on the market. And you won't dig a quarter of the trash. Heck You'd think at what they cost it would have a better target ID system. Its a relic hunters/iron pickers dream machine but it's a turd for coin hunting parks and modern sites with a lot of aluminium can slaw.
Re: XP Deus? Why does it even have a target ID??
November 17, 2018 02:30PM
It sure isn't a clad machine. But who wants clad? The idea behind detecting is still to use the ears. The Deus does well in that area.
November 17, 2018 02:38PM
The sites I hunt have clad and silver in them so you want something that has a accurate ID system. The AT-Pro id's a clad dime at 82 and a silver dime at 83. And its a quarter of the price of a Deus. And the AT ain't to far behind the Deus in iron littered sites on target separation.
November 17, 2018 03:38PM
When I had my Deus I just set the high conductor tone really high and everything else low so all I dug was the high squeaks. I didn't hardly pay attention to the tid because it didn't seem to be accurate beyond 5 or 6 inches. I put my reactivity at 3 so it was a pretty good but pretty expensive beep and dig in the trashy areas for me. One thing about it though, for me it hardly ever falsed on iron and it went pretty deep.
November 17, 2018 04:05PM
my delta4000 licks the dues on TID accuracy ..it wins on lightness tho
November 17, 2018 04:09PM
What’s the point of knowing whether an undug target is a clad dime or a silver dime - unless you aren’t going to dig the clad one?

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
November 17, 2018 04:35PM
The Deus has never been billed as a "coin shooter" or a good machine for hunting modern sites. It is designed as a relic machine on old sites with little modern trash.. If a guy bought it to coin shoot with then he got some bad advise or just didn't do the research prior to purchase. As has been proven many times...if you are making dig decisions based on TID, you are leaving good targets behind no matter what machine you use.

Dean
November 17, 2018 04:51PM
I have actually covered some detector screens because it forced me to learn tones. Tone ID is aesome. As mentioned most ID systems arent accurate past 6 inches (Minelab FBS models are the exception). If you are on a old site, dig every non ferrous item deeper than 6 inches. Some models might as well be in all metal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2018 04:54PM by Arkansas.
November 17, 2018 05:30PM
A couple of most accurate tid machines I have used are the G2+ and the F19, cudos to First Texas on those.I think FBS is in a class by itself though as far as target identification at depth, I agree with Arkansas.
November 17, 2018 07:31PM
Rick I am going to dig that clad dime as I would a silver dime I was just using that as a reference for how accurate some machines ID's are. But with the Deus it wouldn't be within a point on ID between the two dimes. It is a iron sifting machine period.
November 17, 2018 07:36PM
With a fast Recovery speed finding/hitting the targets it will bounce same reason I guess the anfibio/minelab NOX ETC ETC does among others out there.
Shorting your sweep on the target and it locks on better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2018 07:39PM by GreenMeanie.
November 17, 2018 09:07PM
yes its a tone machine , but with the xy vis enabled it get better if you have clean ground and you can figure out bottle cap ( things you cant do with tone only) =)
November 17, 2018 10:32PM
Find a detector that has both tone ID and concentric coil and it should cut down on digging bottle caps. The F75 might be a good one..... think it can use an optional concentric coil (unlike the T2). The accuracy of the ID overall will be somewhat better with the concentric. I agree the F19 is very good....5x10 coil is nice. After all these years the Minelab Explorer or Etrac are still Kings of silver. Didnt dig as much trash either. Never had a CTX.....probably also good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2018 10:56PM by Arkansas.
November 17, 2018 10:41PM
How to hunt modern trash with Deus.

Suggestions.
Try to lower reactivity to force Deus to ID properly. Reactive 2 works.
Use non normalized VDI choice. And compare targets using different freqs.
Xy screen can help at times
Seeeping using lowest band freq can help tell junk from the good stuff.
The new x35coil where tx power can be lowered using lowest band should make it a better hunting in junk coil vs LF coils.

User will have to do a lot off resweeping on some scenarios.

I have witness Deus IDing better on coins head to head vs Etrac,,with Etrac even wearing 6x8” self Coil.
So fbs don’t always tell you high conductive coin exists.
November 18, 2018 01:10PM
And if you are making dig decisions with the Deus based on tone, you are digging a whole lotta trash, too. If you're not, then your ground is not trashy.

Wayne
November 19, 2018 09:44PM
bado1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Deus has never been billed as a "coin shooter"
> or a good machine for hunting modern sites. It is
> designed as a relic machine on old sites with litt
> le modern trash.. If a guy bought it to coin shoot
> with then he got some bad advise or just didn't do
> the research prior to purchase. As has been proven
> many times...if you are making dig decisions based
> on TID, you are leaving good targets behind no mat
> ter what machine you use.
>
>
> Dean

I used to belong to this school of thought until I actually took the Deus out and did some coin hunting, then I thought it REALLY SUCKED at coin shooting. BUT I kept at it and tweaked it and saved some settings then tweaked them some more. After awhile I knew that a 91-92 with just a hint of shade on the right side of the horseshoe was a dep silver dime. After awhile I knew what numbers where what and what amount of shading meant depth wise. I think a lot of users end up setting their reactivity too high and it just throws all kind of numbers at you in that circumstance. Unless I am hunting an iron infested camp or homesite my reactivity stays at 1. Even at that setting it gives you much better separation than 90% of the other units out there.
November 22, 2018 01:05AM
I love my Deus for old relic sites but hate it for hunting old deep coins in public parks. It truly is pathetic in the ID department past 5 inches of depth. Everything up averages both numerically and tonally to the point a deep piece of can slaw often reads the same as a silver dime should.
Mine did get me my one and only gold coin $1 coin, at a CW relic site where it excels.
Target ID?? Who Needs Stinkin' Target ID ? winking smiley
November 22, 2018 05:14AM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What’s the point of knowing whether an undug targe
> t is a clad dime or a silver dime - unless you are
> n’t going to dig the clad one?

Hey Rick,

Seeing that Target ID up in the silver zone? Anticipation of what it might be AND extra care during the recovery.

For me, this all kinda goes back to my old Toltec 100 and the bunching of all high conductors at the end of the meter. If I'm just going to dig all the high conductors anyway what does it matter? After using a Teknetics Mark 1 that had exceptional Target ID and an White's Eagle that was also spot on with Target ID's, when I started hunting with the Toltec 100, though it was very capable, I felt like I had lost something by not being able to break out the coins. We were hunting the local ski resorts at the time and silver halves and dollars were somewhat frequent finds. Being able to ID a silver coin added greatly to the enjoyment of the hunt.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday and are able to get out with the detector(s) for some fun.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: Target ID?? Who Needs Stinkin' Target ID ? winking smiley
November 22, 2018 11:35AM
I found some amazing finds with the few Deus detectors I had. I know for a fact that it hit a few targets that a few other top of the line detectors at that time would not have hit on. I remember watching a video of some user in Britain at the time saying "do yourself a favor and put the remote in your pocket". The Deus gives great tones on target size. A narrow target that is deep and repeatable just needs to be dug. And most of the time it would throw the same numbers from multiple directions indicating a round target. With experience you can tell round by the tones as well. That was enough for me in most places I hunted. I was indeed privileged to hunt a few yards where every hole was important. Beautiful yards well taken care of. In those rare times... time of year for digging plugs was just as important as the target ID. But the CTX was my weapon of choice. I was just a coin hunter.....never relics. Many many flat buttons went in the trash. Musket balls too.

I'm trying to think if there is any quick detectors out there with better target ID. I had the impact. Never a Kruzer or Anfibio. The Impact was better than the Racer series. But far from perfect. I have the Equinox. It throws a wide range of numbers out there on some targets. On all of them sound is the key.
November 22, 2018 05:17PM
I am a coin shooter. I do not have places to go for artifacts, relics or even older coins. I mainly hunt clad. That is about all I have to hunt. On my first hunt with the Deus, I was digging crown cap after crown cap and pull tab after pull tab in my trashy parks. I was about ready to wrap the Deus around a tree! Between the first hunt and the second, I read everything I could find and watched every video on the Deus I could find. The second hunt was a little better than the first, but not much. The third hunt was better and the fourth and so on got even better. Now, after over a year and many hunts and hours, the Deus and I are getting along just fine. Yes, the Deus is really a great relic machine, but put in enough time with it and it is also a great coin magnet. The numbers jump a little but they are stable enough to know, at least most of the time, what is below the coil. It has such a fast recovery speed that it picks the coins out of the trash with great efficiency and the speed of it makes telling the size and shape of the target as well. I also have the Equinox 800 and do not have many hours with it, but for me, the Deus is, and will be, my 'go to' detector for coin shooting. You CAN NOT take the Deus out a couple of times for hunting coins in a trashy park and do well. You MUST give it some time. The Deus will tell you what is under the coil, you just have to learn the Deus language.
November 22, 2018 05:40PM
I find that learning the language of any detector one has to do it with their ears. I temp cover the screen to keep my eyes in check....its a faster way to learn