Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

EQUINOX 15 INCH COIL ON BEACH.

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
EQUINOX 15 INCH COIL ON BEACH.
November 19, 2018 07:30PM
Testing the 15 inch coil on my local beach....People can say what they want but this the most versatile machine made at this time. IMO beach hunt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2018 07:55PM by calabash digger.
Re: EQUINOX 15 INCH COIL ON BEACH.
November 19, 2018 07:53PM
Ole' Cal loves that Nox!
November 19, 2018 07:57PM
Like my Deus too ! The Equinox had obsoleted the Garrett AT series detectors for beach hunting...I ran the AT pro I started with at the beach and its not even close.
November 19, 2018 08:02PM
Ole' Cal loves that Deus too!
November 19, 2018 08:14PM
guess I should have took the cibola...lol Vaquero or Tejon? cool smiley
November 19, 2018 11:13PM
Very smooth wet to dry especially in beach 2 with reduced power....... at the surf and in the water it can get real chatty. Once you get a bit away from the surf i switch to beach 1..... deeper and more sensitivity. Now....... wheres the gold?
November 20, 2018 12:04AM
Beach hunting aint my thing...will leave that toy you guys. Unless the wife wants to go down and walk.
November 20, 2018 12:24AM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beach hunting aint my thing...will leave that toy
> you guys. Unless the wife wants to go down and wal
> k.

haha, well ok. Your land-hunting videos are legendary. And thus: The moment you acknowledge that you're "not a beach hunter", it might turn off some persons to the pros & cons of this coil for the beach.

But since you're a known hot-shot on land (depth vs coverage vs masking/separation, etc...) , then DO TELL : Does this coil benefit someone, for coin-sized targets, Re.: depth ? Or is he merely increasing his swath ?

And if it *is* more depth, will it be at a cost of fishiness , masking, separation, etc... ? I guess the latter question is sort of a moot point for the beach. Since targets on the beach are usually spread out. Ie.: Not like ghost-townsy / cellar-hole type conditions.

Cal Cobra & I are musing that since the Nox 800 is ALREADY an admitted precision knife-point separator/averager, then : Going to a larger coil will not lend you any worse than a standard coil, you'd think. Eh ?
November 20, 2018 01:42AM
If I was a beach hunter the 15 inch coil would be my weapon for the coverage alone. It was not bad swinging it with the harness at all. The coil seems to be a little deeper in my test bed. Exactly how much I dont know at this point. I will need to do some more testing. The big coil will hit a 12 inch dime in my soil with a recovery of 4. The big coil will cost a person some separation because it runs best at a 4 or 5 recovery speed IMO. The big coil will hit my silver dime surrounded by nails in my test garden though... I should have took some coins to the beach and tested them.

I bought it for open fields and will probably use it at the beach when my wife wants to go walk there. I wouldn't mind finding a giant gold ring...lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2018 01:43AM by calabash digger.
November 20, 2018 11:26AM
Even in Fl Tom we get some areas ...... like rocks or barriers that really concentrate EVERYTHING and are the fast recovery comes in great. Im finding in the water RS 4 cuts down a lot of the chatter of hard pan. There is some down side to this fast recovery..... its almost to fast. Yes you pick up deep targets.... but you can miss a lot of the deeper ones if you move to fast. There is a lot to be heard down there. The bleed from iron into bin 1 and 2 creates chatter that you dismiss going to fast. Ive played with the PITCH on the bins which isnt much help since these beeps happen so quickly .....and is compounded with a fast sweep speed. I know, someones thinking in the water you cant be swinging that fast...... but slow down and just hear the difference. This 15" coil if it can make you work an area in the water slower ..... without kicking your butt might net you more than you think. But i think you have to realize you are going to loose sensitivity to smaller gold as well as depth..... but just how much? anyone know if it floats just a tad?
November 20, 2018 08:01PM
My early impression of the 15 is that is is an exceptionally good big coil. I haven't put it in the water yet to see how buoyant it is. It is very light for it's size (under the cover it's honeycombed wherever possible). I was surprised at how close it felt to the weight of the 11. It did load up with dry sand (though shook out easily). Sensitivity is very good. Seemed pretty resistant to EMI. I found it easy to locate targets. It ID'd as well or better(?) than the 11 inch. It was better at cherry picking clad from pennies in an old park. The 6 seemed too small and a nine inch could be the ticket going the other way.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
November 22, 2018 12:24AM
Beach 2 is for in the water. Beach 1 is for out of the water.

Is the 15" coil so heavy that you need to use a harness or is it a balance issue?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2018 12:27AM by Badger in NH.
November 22, 2018 02:24AM
Just made it way easier to swing..... My buddies are beach hunters and that's what they have been using. I just ran what they are running. It did very well on the wet sand..
November 23, 2018 02:07AM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just made it way easier to swing..... My buddies a
> re beach hunters and that's what they have been us
> ing. I just ran what they are running. It did very
> well on the wet sand..

Whats the recipe for that sling swing thing ?

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
November 23, 2018 03:15AM
hmm?