Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Some OLD detecting pictures... have a laugh!

Posted by Lipservice 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Some OLD detecting pictures... have a laugh!
May 12, 2011 03:01AM
Here are a few metal detecting pictures of me back in the early 70s.... I am 63 1/2 now. GOD where did all my hair go? smiling smiley

Here is a Whites Goldmaster 66 TR?? It was brand new! Summer 1973?? and a few coins in my hand. Sold my Whites 63 TR and a crappy Relco BFO to buy it:
Edit: This is not my old 66 TR!!! Got to looking at the picture. Not a 66 TR. What model is it, can you tell? I had a couple more Whites... can't remember the exact model numbers. One was a
Coinmaster model ???? and then I had a Whites I pre ordered that was pure VLF... no discriminate! I waited a couple months to get it then was I disappointed big time. It hit everything!
It went deep but I dug a million holes. Probably is what ruined my knees. Didn't have that one for long! Can't remember the model number of that one either. This bugs me.

[imageshack.us]

Here I am with my trusty Compass 77B Professional and some finds.... Circa 1975:

[imageshack.us]

Without my ugly mug in the picture, Compass 77B Professional and some finds.... Circa 1975:

[imageshack.us]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2011 05:16AM by Lipservice.
Re: Some OLD detecting pictures... have a laugh!
May 12, 2011 03:08AM
Thanks..........brings back some memories. Quite a nice haul you accrued back then. Get a haircutsmiling smiley
May 12, 2011 03:27AM
Cool pix! I love seeing those old machines from the 70s.
May 12, 2011 12:34PM
Priceless! Looks like you had a good system going back then. 'Documenting' is quite important! NEVER lose those pictures!

"LIFE IS ALL ABOUT CREATING MEMORIES"

((( Give some extra thought on this one. More than you think ))).
May 12, 2011 03:30PM
I miss being young but we have some cool detectors out there today and a lot of life experience but back in our younger years there were more places to hunt and more history to find that we not so much hunted out...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 12, 2011 06:06PM
Love the Pics! (& the hair!) I had a Pic. of that 77B on my wall when I was about 13 (1978) I think I even dreamed about it! (Don't laugh!) I ended up with a White's 5000 something. I believe those old Compass catalogs used to feature a lady named "Kay Modeling" who had an AMAZING collection of coins & jewelry. THAT'S how often I read those catalogs! Memories! Nothing better!! (Those old Compass' musts been something else!)

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!
May 12, 2011 06:25PM
I remember her too, from the Compass catlog's. She had a spread of coins that would make the U.S. Mint envious. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2011 06:32PM by TerraDigger.
May 12, 2011 09:11PM
When a man dies, a library burns.
May 12, 2011 10:23PM
-----
Edit: This is not my old 66 TR!!! Got to looking at the picture. Not a 66 TR. What model is it, can you tell? I had a couple more Whites... can't remember the exact model numbers. One was a
Coinmaster model ????
-----

Your White's detector looks like a Coinmaster 5 Supreme.

That was one great detector for it's time period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2011 10:24PM by NEBeachcomber.
May 12, 2011 11:08PM
NEBeachcomber I think you nailed it! Coinmaster 5 Supreme.

And the other one I could not recall the name of was Whites first GEB detector... maybe the first GEB (ground exclusion balance) in the world! It was a Whites Conmaster G.E.B. No discriminator on it whatsoever! All metal only.
Man, did I dig a lot of holes with that bad boy. It did go deep though.
I remember I bought it from Kellyco. Back then when you called Stu Auerbach himself answered the phone (yup... no internet). Anyway I returned it, they had a trade up policy, for a more expensive detector.
Once again can not remember what that one was sad smiley
May 13, 2011 02:49AM
Lipservice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NEBeachcomber I think you nailed it! Coinmaster 5
> Supreme.
>
> And the other one I could not recall the name of
> was Whites first GEB detector... maybe the first
> GEB (ground exclusion balance) in the world! It
> was a Whites Conmaster G.E.B. No discriminator on
> it whatsoever! All metal only.

Lipservice... I believe you're referring to the White's Coinmaster four, as I think the Coinmaster 5 was White's first GEB unit.

I had the CM5 hipmount and like you said... it didn't miss much and man did it go deep!
May 13, 2011 04:50AM
Here is my line of thinking on this one. That unit I had did not have a discriminater. Just pure all metal mode.
I found this page listing Whites detectors: [whiteselectronics.com]
I took a quick look through most of the manuals there. About 1/2 way down the page is 'Coinmaster GEB'
It is the only one I saw that was all metal GEB. The rest are TR, TR/TRDISC, GEB/TRDISC, etc (modern detectors)
Like I said earlier it has kind of been bugging me. I did not see any Coinmaster 5s that were GEB and did not have a discriminator
May 13, 2011 03:42PM
Several years ago saw an old fellow using one of those old compass units on a saltwater beach and stopped to talk..
Heck had a pouchfull of coins...plus a Barber quarter and a gold wedding band so 30 years plus still going strong and his son bought him an XLT and he never took it out of the box...go figger...
May 13, 2011 05:00PM
Lipservice... I have to agree with you!

It seem the detector that I owned was a "Coinmaster GEB Hip Mount" and not a Coinmaster 5 Hipmount.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 05:02PM by NEBeachcomber.