Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

WHITES DFX VERSENOKTA MAKRO ANFIBIO..

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: WHITES DFX VERSENOKTA MAKRO ANFIBIO..
December 24, 2018 02:17PM
It's ok. Test whatever. How about a DMC2B or 2BA? Should be plenty down there?
December 24, 2018 02:45PM
I know a guy that still hunts relic sites with a DFX. I dont mind hunting behind him too much.
December 24, 2018 04:01PM
Keep it up calabash, you are a true sceptic and the best source of detector info on the internetsmileys with beer
December 24, 2018 04:11PM
Never got into a DFX, my buddy had one. Complicated unit. From reading on it, sounds like it's one of those detectors that keeps one thinking "do I have it set the best for this area?".
I have also heard it does take schooling to learn how to maximize its potential...... To complicated for most, including myself.
December 24, 2018 04:33PM
MORE LIKE keeps one doubting! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out BTW done the pre amp gain thing and lower recovery speed thing. Didnt work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2018 04:34PM by calabash digger.
December 24, 2018 06:54PM
Calabash, I had a DFX and it had no depth about 7" max. I also had a XLT and it smoked the DFX in depth.

calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I fiddled with it for two days in the garden and c
> ouldn't get it to hit squat at depth so I settled
> just filming it in a preset program.. I dont like
> the menu at all... So the dude had to write a book
> to teach people to dig deeper targets...Heres a gu
> ide for the Anfibio … STEP 1 cut it on ,Step 2 gro
> und balance, Step 3 set sensitivity , and swing ov
> er deep target.... DING DING , Step 4 dig.. I have
> to agree to disagree about the DFX Daniel.. Worst
> detector I have tested ...Imo
December 24, 2018 07:16PM
I don't believe I'm about to waste my time posting this. I am not an "expert" as you like to say. Still not a fan of the condescending, sarcastic smart alleck comments.

When the DFX came out around 2002, it was White's first simultaneous multi freq machine. Yep it had its flaws. Two of the big ones were the horrible menu and the 9 inch donut coil. The menu proved to be cluttered with seemingly endless scrolling and settings that nobody understood...40+ settings in there. Example...filters. High Pass? Band Pass? There are 8 different ones to pick from...which one is gonna work best? Well nothing really told what they did or how to go about selecting the right one for the conditions. That was a important part of the setup too. If memory serves correctly, you selected it based on Ground Mineral, EMI, and then sweep speed. Lower Hz numbers were for low mineral and SLOW sweep speeds. The Bandpass options were better for high EMI areas and the High Pass ones were more sensitive in low EMI. So the starting point for low mineral areas would be the 5 hz settings...then you'd go by whether EMI was bad or not and select Bandpass or High Pass for that. There is also a sweep speed setting...the DFX seemed to do better with low/slow sweep speed settings. Bottlecap reject...set it to lowest setting.

Then you could opt to run the machine in single or dual freq. I personally never got good depth out of the dual freq but in some places like wet salt sand, this was the best mode to go to for stability. I opted to run mine in single freq 15 khz. Single 15khz was always the deepest for me. Kinda defeated the purpose of the multi freq but at least you had the option. The same held true for the Whites V3i too...better depth in the single freqs. This does NOT hold true for the Equinox though.

Pre Amp Gain works in hand with the AC and DC sensitivity settings. DC is the all metal/pinpoint sensitivity. The AC is the main sensitivity. I would run the Pre Amp to around 3 and then go as high on the AC sensitivity as I can get it without it being too erratic.

Don't run the machine in auto tracking if you are. Turn that off and manually GB it. Turn off silent search too.

BUT....the single biggest key to depth out of the thing was to take that 9 inch donut coil and toss it into the trash. Most people settled on the SEF coils giving the best performance out of them....and this carried over to the MXT as well. For me, the 10x12 SEF coil is the goto coil on the Whites machines. I have not used the 13 Ultimate on it but the 10x12 was the perfect size for general searching....is the equiv to an 11 inch round coil.

IMO this is why the MXT was so popular with hunters and why the DFX is not. It ran at the same 15khz single freq that you could select on the DFX but simplified the interface. It made it easier to get the peak performance out of it without 40 menu settings.

There is no secret code or settings for it. You don't have to have a ring to get in or some secret hand shakes. Just had to have an understanding of what all those settings done and how they worked together. You can't just finger bang your way into it in a couple days of messing around. That's why most people wrote it off and sold it.

I've actually been interested in picking up one for a good price. I almost bought the one Keith had for sale a month or so ago but was saving up for a inshore redfishing trip at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2018 07:21PM by Daniel Tn.
December 24, 2018 08:07PM
My Grand Daddy use to say boy your getting to big for your britches.....cool smiley OR boy you better cool your jets..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2018 08:08PM by calabash digger.
December 24, 2018 11:45PM
Agree 100% with you Daniel on that 9 inch concentric. Probably the worse coil to use on the DFX.

One of the things I really liked about the unit at the time is how it handled wet salt sand and how one can use multi frequency in the wet sand and then switch over the single 15 for dry sand hunting for gold jewelry. If silver was your main focus, switch over to 3. In heavier iron,running corrolate was always better than best data.

I think the MXT is hotter on low conductors than the DFX in single 15 due to the MXT being designed using the similar platform as the GMT which was a pure gold hunter. MXT is a killer unit...simple, powerful with only a few knobs for adjusting. Will always have an MXT in my arsenal of detectors. A lot have come and gone...the MXT stays put. Not just because it is a top performer, but because I don't need to remember much to set it up and go. Similar with my CZ's. I don't need to re-read a manual to figure things out. Shoot, the other day I took my Makro MK out for a spin and since I haven't used it in a while, forgot how to sync the wireless head phones ! Operator error on my part...should have read the how too prior to leaving that morning.

The DFX at the time was a unit if one wanted to fine tune to the nth degree. The interface was pretty bad and if one went too far in the adjusting, the unit would not perform at the optimal performance. It was a unit where you would always wonder if you should adjust a setting to try to get more out of it. I figured it out and knew what settings to adjust and what to leave alone to get the best results.

I liked using single tone mixed mode relic hunting and for deep coin hunting but the best finds I made with mine were on the salt water beaches. It had a knack of finding gold in the wet sand. Numerous gold rings and chains were found with my DFX....more than with my CZ's. But it was never a depth demon. Could never run mine with Pre Amp at 4. Was always way too sparky and unstable. Even lowering the AC sensitivity down a bunch. Pre Amp at 3 with AC around the 80-85 setting was optimal on the beach. Would always use the DFX there after a storm where a lot of sand was moved out and the sand hard packed. Found at least 5-6 gold filled teeth on the beach with that thing. Actually set up a Gold Teeth program for it. It would find small gold in the wet salt sand better than any other VLF unit I had at the time and that included my Sov GT and Excal. Maybe I had a really good one. Beach hunted so much with that unit that the salt water and air took its toll on it. But it paid for itself 10 times over just in gold finds.

The discrimination was good, and the Signagraph was a pretty good visual ID method. 2 solid bars and it's a dig it signal. Smearing along with the audio would always help in identifying junk targets The icons were put there for beginners as well as the pre sets but I guess you had to start somewhere.

Being a Whites product, I never worried if the unit would need servicing and if so, Whites was always a reputable company that took care of it's customers...still is today. There are guys who purchased used DFX's for great prices and sent them back to Whites and they did overhauls on their units and they came back working good as new....with new coils too since the original 9 inch Multi Harmonic coils that were first offered with the units would eventually die and the unit would never work properly if that coil was hosed.

Glad to hear you were thinking about getting that one off of Keith...I was thinking the same thing ! Had to pass on it though. Got too many units as it is now.
December 24, 2018 11:55PM
This one is mint and I am sure my buddy would cut you a great deal on it....Daniel I hear ya about the settings and such but I am done with it.. For me its a dog detector. Whether its because you have to have it set to the nth degree or the stock coil is garbage. Maybe its because the preset programs are junk according to you guys . Maybe its a little of it all that makes it a dog in my book.....Do you guys really hear what your saying???? Well if do this that or the other it will perform and on and on...… like your trying to make excuses for a detector or something. I studied the settings.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2018 12:04AM by calabash digger.
December 25, 2018 01:23AM
I know exactly what I am saying. I also know you used the unit for a total of 5 minutes and that does not count for much in my book.

I learned my DFX, figured out what settings and coil gave me the optimal performance. Hmmmm...similar to what you did with your Deus huh ? You like a certain coil and program for relic hunting in certain areas correct ? That is smart detecting. Would you use an LF coil in Basic 1 for any relic hunt you go on now ? Don't think you would because you know that would not be the optimal set up to get optimal results.

You put the worst coil on a unit you barely learned and use garbage pre set programs and then compare it to a new tech unit in your back yard. Hardly a valid test to put that unit in the 'dog' category in my opinion. Not to say the DFX you tested isn't a dog...it probably is. There are good ones and bad ones. DFX came out when...2002-2003 ? 15 years ago. Comparing a 15 year old unit to one made today. Thanks for the info. I may make a video comparing the detector I made back in 5th grade to win the science fair to a EQ800 and see what results I get.

Making excuses...don't think so. Just mentioning things that are good and bad on the unit. It's no secret. Most seasoned hunters know. Some don't like the unit, some do.

Made great finds with the DFX I had. Used it till it dropped. Have no regrets. It will smoke a Deus in the wet salt sand every day and night. Even the one your buddy has with that awful coil on it in the stock Beach program. How do I know...because the 2 Deus units I have (both LF and HF coils) can't get near the wet sand let alone get the coil in the suds. So how about taking your good ole Deus and your buddy's DFX on a trip to a salt water beach and make a video hunting in the suds? Oh I know...you don't beach hunt. Not a fair fight either correct ?

Are there better units out there today...absolutely. Would I call the DFX I had a dog detector...never. Would I buy your friends DFX...nope.
December 25, 2018 01:28AM
GIVE ME the settings to make it perform in my mild soil and I will film it again over the same targets...…. fair enough???? Mild sandy soil … How do you want it setup??? BTW same ole arguments you need a hot unit or you got a bad one....lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2018 01:41AM by calabash digger.
December 25, 2018 06:25AM
What I don’t understand is why someone feels the need to “test” 15/20-year-old units that most of us on this forum used for years starting when they first came out and/but all along the way have used most every unit since then too and many before then too but as though we’re all clueless here as to how they perform Versus how many of the machines of today perform when in reality it’s you and the all you guys with a lousy 3/5/10 years experience in the hobby that are the clueless ones. Most of us here don’t need to see what a tejon or dfx or cz or vaquero or explorer or (_____) <<insert make/model of the last 15/25 yrs does or how it performs vs our Deus and multi kruzers or amph’s and/or any other machines of today. We already know and have been there/done that back when they came out and have helped pave the way for what IS on the market these days = Especially guys like Keith, Tom, Monty, Clive, Des, George and many others here that you newbies don’t know or realize exist here and have provided countless documented and/or published info to all of the major manufacturers for decades in having been involved in the testing/development of many of those machines both past and present to have helped arrive at what we have available to us today. Some here even wrote several books that have been published on many of the units and still do. This isn’t Tnet or friendly or some other joke of a forum full of newbies seeking wannabe YouTube stars cramming bs up their dumb azzes like on those worthless forums but it’s been getting worse here everyday for the last few yrs since all the wannabes starting showing up in masses. The worst thing is = we (the elders/guys with 30/40 yrs of knowledge/field time here) have watched this forum decline rapidly in the last 2/3 yrs AND have watched as many of the legends with real experience and knowledge to share have just quit posting/abandoned this place because of all the newbies and their BS.

Watching you/your one man clown show and whatever it is you’re trying to prove to whoever (maybe all the newbies that have joined here in the last yr or 2 like yourself?) is beyond a joke and with the exception of your newbie/wannabe followers = most of us are sick of seeing/hearing the crap. We don’t need videos/lectures on what machines do what or work best/where or how some 20 yr old unit many of us used for 10/20 yrs stacks against our brand new X detector we all just recently purchased in the last yr or 2 with all these BS slam videos that are nothing more than grabs at attention and known to cause arguments and such.

Did your mommy/daddy not give you enough attention when you were a 2 yr old or something?
December 25, 2018 11:48AM
Lighten up a tad, MRH. Tis the season to be jolly. Ole Cal's not bashing you or any other forum member that I can see. Old news, new news, whatever. Ole Cal is just having some fun as I see it and we have a choice to watch his vids, or not. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. HH jim tn
December 25, 2018 12:54PM
From what I see calabash just uses any detector he can get for a test video. If a friend has one he can use or buy one cheap or buy one he plans on using .. I don't think he purposely sets out to find old tech. The ATpro and f75 are kind of old tech. Have any of the guys on here ever went to a store looking to buy something and once there had that item in your hand and thought, what a pile of crap! Why would anyone buy one of these?? I know I have on several items.. but those items sell off the shelves for alot of people that seem to love them.. this is how I feel about his videos..
December 25, 2018 01:12PM
MRH your about as dumb as the day is long.....You want to be a living legend and your not! The ELDERS what is this crap some kind of cult church BS....I have been thinking about this experience trumps all bull crap... I got 30 or 40 yrs blah blah ….I got as much Experience on the Deus, Equinox , and Anfibio as anyone on here... I am trying to figure how running a Tesoro for 20 yrs gives you a leg up over me on these machines. Actually it doesnt...every time a new one comes out we all start in the same place.

The problem is MRH you think your special and your not. Your just a Ole timer that's jealous against any new comer who has any amount of success......bottom line that's you! I am published too book I am in will be out shortly ,send me your address and I will send you a copy to teach you how to run a certain detector...eye popping smiley

BLAH BLAH I have been watching you for 2 yrs try to bully people and I aint the one JERK!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2018 02:51PM by calabash digger.
December 25, 2018 01:13PM
BTW where are the settings I asked for theover61???? Your such a Expert MRH you got any for the DFX to make it hit the deep stuff in my garden...
December 25, 2018 02:15PM
Did a retest with coinspaders settings will have the video up shortly...
December 25, 2018 02:20PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> MRH your about as dumb as the day is long.....You
> want to be a living legend and your not! The ELDER
> S what is this crap some kind of cult church BS...
> .I have been thinking about this experience trumps
> all bull crap... I got 30 or 40 yrs blah blah ….I
> got as much Experience on the Deus, Equinox , and
> Anfibio as anyone on here... I am trying to figur
> e how running a Tesoro for 20 yrs gives you a leg
> up over me on these machines. Actually it doesnt..
> .every time a new one comes out we all start in th
> e same place.
>
>
> The problem is MRH you think your special and your
> not. Your just a Ole timer that's jealous against
> any new comer who has any amount of success......b
> ottom line that's you! I am a published author to
> o book I am in will be out shortly ,send me your a
> ddress and I will send you a copy to teach you how
> to run a certain detector...eye popping smiley
>
> BLAH BLAH I have been watching you for 2 yrs try t
> o bully people and I aint the one JERK!

Why not open your own forum? You seem to wearing out your welcome on the current ones.
December 25, 2018 02:52PM
What wearing out my welcome according to who? A few ole sticks stuck in the mud???
December 25, 2018 02:53PM
texkinzee Wrote:
> It's ok. Test whatever. How about a DMC2B or 2BA?
> Should be plenty down there?

Yes that I would like to see as know it can hit them deepies.
December 25, 2018 02:57PM
I dont have any buddys with those detectors but will keep an eye out...I have hunted a iron laden site behind a Natilus though in the low country....found a handful of buttons in the iron...
December 25, 2018 03:12PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> What wearing out my welcome according to who? A fe
> w ole sticks stuck in the mud???

According to you. Last I saw you were quitting friendly after yet another scolding. But then you posted there again. Seems you love the drama. Oh well......I have a feeling the drama will eventually get tiresome to many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2018 03:15PM by goodmore.
December 25, 2018 04:10PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> BTW where are the settings I asked for theover61??

You still are not comprehending are you ? I can't give you settings for YOUR soil. You have to figure that out for yourself. That's what that 20 year old DFX was designed to do.

I said this before and will say it again. LOVE your hunting videos. The comparison videos....not so much.

Merry Christmas.
December 25, 2018 04:56PM
Cant give me any settings for some of the mildest ground in the country... Almost comical....
December 25, 2018 08:24PM
texkinzee Wrote:
> Whats next ? The 1023 Vs. Anfibio?

Now come on ........... I rate the 1023 at one the best in its league >grinning smiley<

All I got from the vid was how good the Anfibio is -

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
December 25, 2018 08:39PM
Anfibio v.s. F-19?????------Or did he already embarrass me with that one???smiling smiley------That F-19 is my precious baby!!!!!!!!!thumbs down
December 25, 2018 09:45PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Cant give me any settings for some of the mildest
> ground in the country... Almost comical....

What's comical is you can't figure out how to program a unit for YOUR soil. You want me to hold your hand ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2018 09:46PM by therover61.
December 25, 2018 09:45PM
Not yet, Del, but your time is coming. Precious baby will be put to rest. grinning smiley HH jim tn
December 25, 2018 10:21PM
You can hold my Gopro while I dig a deep hole to throw this dead dog in....smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2018 10:22PM by calabash digger.