Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who's using a Makro Racer 2 on here?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Who's using a Makro Racer 2 on here?
January 30, 2020 04:11AM
I recently acquired one from Keith Southern and I was wondering if any of you guys are using one. I met up with Keith and went on a hunt and used the Racer 2. It seems to be a fairly deep machine and seems to like brass and lead and copper targets quite a bit. I have the stock and Sharpshooter coil and the small 5" coil. I do a lot of old house type hunting that's loaded with iron. What are your guys recommendations hunting these type sites with the Racer 2 and with any of the coils I told you I have? Thanks in advance for your assistance. Morgan
Re: Who's using a Makro Racer 2 on here?
January 30, 2020 08:42AM
I have one, great detector. Found my 1916D mercury dime, with it at a demo site. It has great audio if you learn it, deep mode works well (although it's not really needed to go deep, it's more like the BP/boost mode on the F75). I used it extensively at a demo park scrape in San Francisco for an entire summer at an 1860's park, and found that sure you could keep up with the rest of the guys if you detected at a normal pace, but if you went really slow in areas with lots of trash or iron, you could clean up with it after they had already gone through it. For example, my buddy that's a die hard Explorer2 user went through a newly scraped area and found two gold rings, and a few wheaties. Everyone else went through it too, it was fresh meat so to speak and found a few more coins. I went through it meticulously with the R2, and pulled out 5 silver coins, several IHPs and wheaties, and a few other keepers, so it's a great clean up machine IMO.

That was a great demo, found a 1916D mercury dime, 1896 San Francisco dog license, tons of silver, nice Victorian gold ring with a diamond, tokens, lots of old 1800's buttons from now defunct trains, steam ships, etc. The little OOR coil is a great coil BUT the NEL Snake coil is killer, little larger than the OOR, and just as effective. The stock coil's no slouch, and it loves silver. IMHO it's one of the better Nokta/Makro detectors made. I don't view it as the end all of machines, but it's a great tool to have available and for the price, it's tough to beat (especially on the secondary market!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2020 05:37PM by Cal_cobra.
January 30, 2020 10:34AM
I dug a nice 1576 sixpence using the racer, it was my daughter's first hammered dig so it was made into a necklace for her.[imgur.com]
The Racer air tested to the moon, but had no depth in my (Deus6+bar soil) and i hated the way it high toned off the edge of iron, as i felt it didn't offer the audio intelligence that say the Nox does running F2 zero.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2020 10:35AM by ghound.
January 30, 2020 03:39PM
Try the Magic 5"x 8" coil on that R2, for me it was the perfect size and it separates real good with decent depth. They aren't that expensive either, I have had good finds with it in naily areas.
January 30, 2020 04:49PM
ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dug a nice 1576 sixpence using the racer, it was
> my daughter's first hammered dig so it was made in
> to a necklace for her.[imgur.com]
> Xnhi
> The Racer air tested to the moon, but had no depth
> in my (Deus6+bar soil) and i hated the way it high
> toned off the edge of iron, as i felt it didn't of
> fer the audio intelligence that say the Nox does r
> unning F2 zero.

No idea what kind of dirt you're dealing with, but at most of the California and Nevada sites I hunt I have heavily mineralized ground to deal with and the R2 did very well. It's not going to cut through mineralization as well as a SMF machine, but it did far better then my F75 LTD1/2 out here, but all this depends on your hunt environment. For me, in iron sites, I'd grab the Racer2 or Multi Kruzer before I'd grab my Equinox 800, but for just about anything else, I'd grab the EQ800. The R2 was a great machine for demo sites too, but than again so was the EQ800.
February 02, 2020 03:51AM
I second what Cal_cobra says above. The nel snake or 5'' sharp is a beast in the iron type sites on the racer. also 7'' concentric will see things others missed
February 02, 2020 01:08PM
Brian often compares the Racers to the F 75 LTD2, the latter of which I also have, and his observations are far different then mine when comparing the two.

Either of the Racer's I had, the Red Racer and the Racer 2, could come close to the max depth I can get with my F 75 LTD2 DST. The Red Racer wasn't even as deep as my Omega 8000, which, typically aren't all that deep of a detector.

I am not bashing the Racers, but it just goes to show that not everyone's experiences are the same with same detectors. HH jim tn
February 02, 2020 04:52PM
I'm not sure my Racer 2 was any deeper than my F75 but I sold the F75 after acquiring the Racer 2. There's more to detecting than maximum depth in many cases and my Racer 2 would pull targets from my F75 hammered sites. From the Racer and Racer 2, I went on to use the Impact, Anfibio Multi and the Multi Kruzer. I've settled on the Multi Kruzer as my primary iron infested site detector but I could be perfectly happy with the Racer 2 for that task. The Nokta/Makro detectors make a great companion to my Nox 800 for 90% of my detecting.