Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hunting the Shipwrecks off Florida

Posted by Pips 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hunting the Shipwrecks off Florida
August 12, 2008 01:16PM
Tom - When beach hunting by a known Spanish shipwreck (Like Vero Beach Area), is the most productive area South of the wreck?? Does the most power pushing winds, moving objects out of the sea, turning counter clockwise or is there no specific pattern? Pips
Re: Hunting the Shipwrecks off Florida
August 13, 2008 01:07AM
First...... you need approx 14' to 17' deep cut... just to simply reach the stuff (as this is how deep the wrecks are). And yes.... some of the coins will 'migrate' Southward due to the normal hurricane-bands rotation/direction. Normal tides usually (hardly) move coins. Hurricane action/strength is needed. Most shipwrecks are in/at the base of the dunes..... but we have yet to learn this!!! ((( How do you know what you are missing.... If you do not know it even exists!!!))).

Priceless clues:

* Know that Mother Nature exists.
* Pay CLOSE attention to Mother Nature 'clues'.
* KNOW what you are looking for.
* Seek to find the 'Density Stratification Troughs'.

--- Geophysics can be quite simple!

Tom
August 13, 2008 10:31PM
Tom, Are you telling me that the elusive Spanish coins are 14 to 17 feet below the surface of the beach??

And yes you did give me a great explanation of where to hunt on the beach about six months ago. ((I printed out the reply to carry with me (as well as many other instructions you have given here) so when I go beach hunting I remember to be just down from the towel line at low tide!))

Thanks for the info on the winds and tides. I made an assumption that the coins moved south but when I assume too much I waste a lot of time.

Thanks again you’re really a true educator in this sport - Pips
August 14, 2008 12:32AM
Yes, MOST definately..... the Spanish stuff is approx 14' - 17' deep..... and deeper.

......Glad I can help with a few other tips!
August 14, 2008 04:20AM
Hey gang,
They have renourished the beaches after the storms of 2004 so it will probably take another very good storm or storms to get you down to where you need to be.

Tom, Do you suppose you could tune one to go that deep???? Boy, you would need a backhoe for a scoop then. Just a thought!!
Wally
August 14, 2008 09:18AM
Extreme depth on the beach would sure be EXTREMELY beneficial !!!