Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whites Sierra Super Trac SST ?

Posted by coinspader 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Whites Sierra Super Trac SST ?
February 11, 2019 01:52AM
Anybody here ever use one? I guess they were a limited edition from what I have read about them.There is one for sale, I was thinking about trying it out.
Re: Whites Sierra Super Trac SST ?
February 11, 2019 02:23AM
For your Basic park type hunting for coin and jewelry, can't go wrong

[youtu.be]
White's Sierra Super Trac, known as the SST.
February 11, 2019 06:06AM
coinspader
Anybody here ever use one? I guess they were a limited edition from what I have read about them. There is one for sale, I was thinking about trying it out.
If you want to try out a Sierra Super Trac, aka SST, before you invest any $$$, just get a White's Matrix 6, better known as the M6, and do the following:

• You will only have use of the Sensitivity or Gain control to turn it On and Off and adjust the Gain. Also the Ground Tracking select toggle.

• Adjust the Discrimination control to the absolute lowest (counterclockwise) setting to accept ALL metal targets, ferrous and non-ferrous, then leave that control at the minimum setting. It is not found on the SST. The SST doesn't have a variable Disc. control because it is designed to function, FULL TIME with a 7-Tone ID accepting ALL ferrous and non-ferrous targets.

• Lock the Trigger Toggle in the forward position to make use of the 7-Tone audio ID. Leave that toggle switch in the forward, Tone ID position. It is not found on the SST. The SST only uses a 2-Position toggle. The center position functions the same as the M6's locked-forward trigger since the SST is designed to ONLY function in the 7-Tone Audio ID. The 2nd position on the SST, pulling the trigger, does access a Pinpoint function.

You can read the short Owner Manual here: Sierra Super Trac Owner Manual

Once you have those adjustments on an M6, you now have an SST. You will always hear ALL metal targets, including all ferrous targets such as iron nails, bolts, nuts, screws, rusty tin, paper clips, bobby pins, and all manner of iron/ferrous debris. There is no variable Discrimination to reject anything. You will not have a normal single-tone audio. Instead, you will hear everything, and the audio has 7 different audio Tones for you to listen to, to help determine if a good target has been responds with a low Iron 'grunt' Tone or one of the higher 6 Audio Tone ID categories.

It's not that it was a regular offer 'Limited Edition' from White's, but a specially designed model for Jimmy 'Sierra' to promote and offer only to his White's Dealers in the states where he was a Distributor.

Personally, I didn't care for the one I had the opportunity to check out on a trip to the White's factory, and sadly they had a retail price virtually the same as the standard offer M-6 which was a much more functional detector.

Just my opinions.

Monte
Re: White's Sierra Super Trac, known as the SST.
February 11, 2019 06:23AM
Thanks for the input Monte, the fact that it will sound off on everything might be hard on the ears without a way to reduce the sound of the iron grunts. Might not be an ideal machine for coin shooting in a trashy park.
Re: White's Sierra Super Trac, known as the SST.
February 11, 2019 12:55PM
coinspader
Thanks for the input Monte, the fact that it will sound off on everything might be hard on the ears without a way to reduce the sound of the iron grunts.
Might not be an ideal machine for coin shooting in a trashy park.
Nope, not a pleasant model for the majority of Coin Hunters, or many other folks for that matter. If a site is pretty much iron debris free, it would ease the audio behavior up some, but most of the people I have talked with or worked with who had/have an M-6, or an MXT Pro which also shares the 7-Tone Audio ID feature, do not like trying to hunt most urban coin-producing sites in Tone ID Only. I know I wouldn't care for that model because I want to have some method of Discrimination. I also don't care for too many tones at the same time. 1, 2 or 3 Tones works for me 99% of the time.

Monte