Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question for Monte

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question for Monte
February 13, 2019 03:02PM
Monte------Have you tried the XP Deus?---If so, what did you think of it in mineralized/iron plaqued sites?-----Did it pass your nail board test with say the 9" coil on board?--------Thanks
Re: Question for Monte
February 13, 2019 10:26PM
Hey Del.. my buddy uses the Deus.. with 9” lower field coil... he kills it on rings...Pretty sure he uses the X Program....
February 13, 2019 11:26PM
D&P-OR
Monte------Have you tried the XP Deus?
Tried it? Kind of, but really just used one a very short while a friend uses to check out a few targets. I never got into studying it or borrow one to use for any extended period of time.

D&P-OR
If so, what did you think of it in mineralized/iron plaqued sites? Did it pass your nail board test with say the 9" coil on board?
It's only been twice I handled one as we did some comparisons, and even though one of the two sites was one of the 'iron plagued' old Nevada ghost towns, we were mainly comparing performance between our units on a few located targets so I wasn't singling it out to really evaluate performance in bad ground or bad ferrous trash, just the responses we had on a few selected targets we had found.

I haven't tried one on my Nail Board Performance Test, but he has and says it is okay, but doesn't get the 7 or 8-out-of-8 that I require to make the grade in my book for those tough Relic Hunting places with dense iron. He uses the 9" coil. Currently I have all the detectors I want, thus all the detectors I need, for the detecting opportunities and sites I like to hunt. Duplicates of several of those models just to be at-the-ready with the search coils I like to use. As some have mentioned in many of their responses to various forum threads, they use certain makes and models because they like them, they find stuff, and they like the 'enjoyment' or 'fun' they have using the detectors they pick. I'm really much the same way.

There wasn't anything about the XP Deus, right from it's introduction, that really interested me as much as there was information about what didn't interest me. For example, I have preferred smaller-than-stock size search coils since '71/'72 and the XP Deus didn't offer one. Another thing is I prefer to use Alkaline batteries far more than rechargeable batteries, so the battery design wasn't a good fit. besides, I really didn't, and still don't, care for the need to charge the search coil, charge the control housing and charge the headphones. Some folks don't mind and that's good for them. I, and quite a few others, don't care for that multi-battery charging requirement, and that's good for us.

Some models come along that are new and offer some different physical packaging or mode and feature options that catch our eye and sometimes our attention, and we try them and like them. Other times some new offerings just don't seem to appeal for us for all sorts of reasons. I prefer the green of the original Teknetics T2 as well as theT2 Classic and T2+. I have friends that prefer the black rod set. Sometimes we enjoy the physical packaging of a model like the Teknetics T2 which is a model I like. Have had several, as you know, even letting a nice package go recently. But I just added a T2+ back into my personal arsenal simply because I likie them with a 5" DD coil. Most of my other detectors for serious Relic Hunting will match or out-perform the T2, especially in those dense iron contaminated sites, but I still happen to like theT2.

I've owned the similar packaged Fisher F75, but I don't like them as much as I do the T2. The Nokta FORS CoRe caught my attention and won me over easily, and the similar packaged Nokta FORS Relic also is a stay-in-my-Outfit model. I have two each of those models and they are very well proven afield. They each have their strengths, and just appeal to me. Some detectors don't, for various reasons, and with the XP Deus it didn't due to the two things I mentioned, plus I didn't like the feel, and also don't care for the audio response. Probably a good detector, just not a model that appeals to me, therefore I can't offer any beneficial comments as to how I like it or its performance.

Monte
February 14, 2019 05:34AM
Del the last time I tried montes nailboard test was with the Xp was a few updates ago with the 9" LF coil and the 9x5 HF. As a experienced Xp user I would say it passes easily. I haven't tried my 9" HF coil yet. No reason to really I guess. Here's the LF 9"
Oh and by the way the high mineralization is no prob for the Xp. Hope to see ya at the group hunts.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2019 05:38AM by Kickindirt.
February 14, 2019 12:02PM
It excels in 3D nail senario's . I have seen detectors wearing a concentric coil whip it on down the barrel nail test but when you elevate the iron it is a different story. Elevate the iron above the non ferrous and it will tell a story that Monte's nail board test doesnt because all the targets are on the same plane.
February 14, 2019 12:26PM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It excels in 3D nail senario's . I have seen detec
> tors wearing a concentric coil whip it on down th
> e barrel nail test but when you elevate the iron i
> t is a different story. Elevate the iron above the
> non ferrous and it will tell a story that Monte's
> nail board test doesnt because all the targets are
> on the same plane.

Are you suggesting that a detector that can't 'whip' the down the barrel test on the same plane will do better if the iron is elevated above the non-ferrous target in the down the barrel test?

tabman
February 14, 2019 01:13PM
I am suggesting that a detector wearing a concentric coil will normally whip the Deus on a down the barrel test on the same plane. Elevate the nails and see what happens. I am not talking about down the barrel all detectors wearing a DD coil that I have ever seen struggle with that particular scenario. BTW what happens to a Tesoro when you put a DD coil on it and do a down the barrel test?
February 14, 2019 06:07PM
One thing I've learned about the deus is that if it can't hit something one way turn 5 degree and it will hit it. I find myself swing in half circles cause of this lol grinning smiley
February 14, 2019 09:14PM
Interesting info---thanks guys.----------Del
February 14, 2019 10:39PM
Different tools for different scenarios. An XP Deus in carpet of nails in the ghost towns, homesteads, rail camps out west where the temperature is hot and arid is not the best tool. It doesn't handle on the same plane tests lime Montes nail board as well as a machine with a small concentric. A lot of the sites out here you can see the square nails, deteriorated flat tin etc laying all over the ground. Out of my arsenal the Deus would not be my first choice out west but may be my first choice out east etc. A lot of the coins or buttons out west are just under the surface mixed in with the square nails. A quick boot swipe will reveal them quite often. A detector must pass Montes nail board all ways for me to use in that environment. The surrounding area outside of the carpet of nails is prime area for the Deus etc.