Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

14 INCH DIME, NAIL TEST,CZ3D EQUINOX..

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: 14 INCH DIME, NAIL TEST,CZ3D EQUINOX..
March 01, 2019 05:37PM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand that.....look at the I D in the video
> on the silver half....How many CZ3D users are REAL
> LLLLY chasing those kind of signals in the wild wh
> ile coin shooting??????
>
I gotcha brother...but I am digging them. But I have been using mine for a long time, so I understand where you are coming. Plus I don't use the ID.

Hard to describe when real world beach/field/park hunting how those signals sound to me, how I investigate them with all the tools the CZ gives me, to make a dig/no dig decision.

As always...if it is deep, has enough mid and high tones hits, pin points small....I am digging it. Plus, wet sand hunting does have it's perks since it's easy digging with a hardy sand scoop so most if not all targets being hit are dug. Easy to cover up the hole too

Out in those fields with roots, hard ground, etc. I can totally understand the mindset of wanting a much more accurate ID and tone.

As always, the environment pretty much dictates the circumstances.
March 01, 2019 05:59PM
What really stinks about the whole thing is that even with a validated CZ, there is no way to know what it will actually do in your ground until you try one. I have owned 4 CZs...my first target ID machine was a brand new CZ-70 Pro. I never found anything deep with it; not coins anyway. Some people on the forums at the time said that it was because it was digital and that the analog needle CZs were better. I was going to get one of the CZ5s when the CZ-3D came out, and I went for that instead. I ran into the same thing with it; except I actually liked the CZ70 better. I never could figure out why they didn't put a 3 toggle select switch on the CZ-3D and offered it with Normal mode, Enhanced mode, and Salt mode. That way if you were in an area where you might benefit by Enhanced mode, you could select it. If in an area with a lot of tabs and aluminum bits that you didn't want to also creep into the coin range, you could go to Normal mode. Win/Win.

I sold that first CZ3D and stayed away from them for years until just a year or two ago. I bought a validated CZ5 that had been validated to 11 inches according to the sticker. I know, I know....it wasn't one of those 12 inch models but I seriously doubt it would have made much difference in what I'm gonna say next. Because an 11 inch validated machine in Tom's dirt was equal to about 4.5 inches in my dirt on a dime for a non iron tone. That might work out for some around locally, because not all old coins are super deep. I've dug seated coins that were just a few inches deep and dug clad coins that were much deeper. It just all depends on the site. At the same time that I had this CZ5, I ran across a super deal on a CZ-70 and scooped it up. I found the CZ70 to be a bit deeper than that particular CZ5 but the CZ70 was not validated or anything. I could air test them and see about an inch difference on a dime. Realistically, in the ground there still wasn't much difference. I sold both of those units though. I did have the 5 inch, 8 inch, and 10.5 coils for them.
March 01, 2019 06:09PM
Daniel,

I bought a 3D from a fellow hunter who ended up telling me the thing was all screwed up. I verified that with Tom as it had a sticker on it. The ID windows were all messed up and the depth was sub-par.

Sold it to another hunter and informed him of the way the thing acted but he didn't care and bought it. I do think it was a newer one (ie, not one of the last lot Los Banos units).

In any event, I just stick to my original first run 6a's as they continue to work extremely well and have never been fiddled with.
March 01, 2019 07:15PM
Daniel,
I think that you hit on a very important point regarding tweaking any machine to be "deeper" or certified to a certain depth. That certification is only good for the ground that it was certified in. If a guy is not hunting in that same ground...the number on the sticker is irrelevant. As you know, Arizona, has some nasty ground. Much like yours. I learned early on that harsh dirt is the depth killer, especially in the gold fields. Out here, how a machine handles mineralized dirt is the most important consideration. Depth is relative to mineralization...or how the machine handles (balances) the mineralized ground.

Good point!

Dean
March 01, 2019 10:01PM
One last thing I just thought of the Nox has a 11" Stock coil the CZ-3D 8" Coil. Some may laugh but that's 3 inches. Thats huge in overall depth especially in mild ground. Should at least put the 10.5" on the CZ-3D to be fare and square if going head to head even if it is a lemon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 10:53PM by Harold,ILL..
March 01, 2019 11:35PM
Harold,

Glad somebody noticed !

A DD coil will separate better than a concentric so if there is a co-located target, the concentric is not going to fare as well.

It's an apples to oranges comparison all around....but still fruit.

I think we can all agree technology has changed the game and there are cool units out there with great performance. But some oldies but goodies can still compete.
March 02, 2019 02:38PM
Yes indeed as like I said I am a big Minelab fan too as love the Etrac so I know the Nox must be good as Minelab makes good machines. I may give one a spin if I can find one at the rite price. The fact it's waterproof alone makes for a good deal.
March 02, 2019 03:11PM
Harold,
I too love the E-TRAC and have had great success with the Nox as well. You would probably like the Nox, too. That being said, I am looking forward to the release of the new Nokta SMF machine.

Dean
March 02, 2019 04:24PM
bado1 Wrote:
> Harold,
> I too love the E-TRAC and have had great success w
> ith the Nox as well. You would probably like the N
> ox, too. That being said, I am looking forward to
> the release of the new Nokta SMF machine.
>
> Dean

Yea Dean, that may be the one I look at very closely, the SMF Nokta.
March 02, 2019 04:58PM
That's the true reality of the whole bit: we will never truly get it all out of the ground. All we can do is use the machine that testing and experience shows us to be the best at the time. 5 or 10 years down the road, we may or may not have anything to top it, but we might. There isn't a perfect machine out on the market right now. They all mis ID good stuff and cause us to walk on and not dig. They all have problems with masking, whether its modern trash causing it or 200+ year old iron in the ground. Stuff will always be just out of reach depth wise, for even the deepest of machines. In fact, a saying someone said here on this forum carries a lot of heavy weight with it once you start to ponder on it. We only know what we are finding...and not what we are missing. You might can walk into a site and say you find 2 seated silver coins. Some, including me, would be content with that and happy, IF that was all that we knew. But what if we had the ability to look back over what we thought we had covered with our coil, and see that we only found 2 out of 8 silver coins that were actually in the ground, that we had our coil over top of the other coins but either didn't get a signal, or a signal we would have wanted to dig. Would we still be as happy about the two that were found, or would you try to be figuring out how you could have got those other 6? 6 is better than just 2 smiling smiley Some would still be content with just the two. Others like me, are always thinking about what else might be in a site and how to unlock them from the ground. That's why as long as I have access to the sites I have found stuff in before, that I keep going back. Get a new coil...go back. Find some settings you want to try...go back. Get a new machine...go back.

More often than not, I hit those spots and come back with nothing or very little. But every once in a while, a machine will come along that reveals a lot of things you have missed. Those are the fun days; most of the time you can take a machine like that back to all the other sites you have and come out pretty good, until you deplete them of what the machine is capable of. Going from VLF machines to pulse machines was probably the biggest eye opener for me like that. The Equinox has proven to me its a keeper in its own right. For a target and tone ID machine, it currently is in the #1 seat for me. The detectives are still putting together a case for me on the Deus....gathering evidence to submit; the jury ain't even been selected yet haha.
March 02, 2019 05:10PM
bado1 Wrote:
> Harold,
> I too love the E-TRAC and have had great success w
> ith the Nox as well. You would probably like the N
> ox, too. That being said, I am looking forward to
> the release of the new Nokta SMF machine.
>
> Dean

Dean-----This may sound like a dumb question--but--how can Nokta come out with a SMF detector?----I was under the impression that Minelab had that tied up with patents, etc.------Obviously I missed something (again).smiling smiley------Did the patens expire---or???---------Del
March 02, 2019 06:08PM
Daniel, that says it all how it works detecting our new and old sites. Until we have a detector that can see through iron, that's the way it is for everybody.

Until something new comes out where there is no masking, we are all in the same boat unless you dig all the iron. And then there are the good targets below the capability of our detectors.

How many dig all the iron? I dig the larger iron to get it out of the way and doing that I have dug some non-ferrous items.

Rick
March 02, 2019 07:07PM
Hi Del,
I'm not sure. Perhaps it's a different kind of SMF that wasn't covered by ML patent? I know from Dilek's statements that they are working on it, though.

Take care.

Dean
March 03, 2019 12:22AM
I believe the time limitation has expired on Minelab's patents.