Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab will be Title Sponsor at Detectival 2019

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Minelab will be Title Sponsor at Detectival 2019
April 10, 2019 07:40PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> That may be the case on some machines, but not the
> case on ML products. Both the CTX and Etrac had ve
> ry stable TIDs

LOL, thats not what people said after the release of those! Tons of people complained about "jumpy VDI". They want ever nickle to be 13, and every dime to be 45, and any deviation was called "faulty". Plenty were asking for it to be simple and just say "nickle", "dime", etc. So many people always want the "dumb machine" that removes all need to learn it, then they complain about lack of info and ability.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================
April 10, 2019 07:49PM
Fire up the critics... I believe part of the bounce with the 600/800 (and other super fast units) is actually multiple readings of the target itself. It feels something like an analog signal because it has such a short recovery time it's like a video vs a series of single frames, a machine gun vs a semiautomatic being rapid fired. Am I wrong? It's theory, opinion, impression or thought that I cannot offer data or support for- so have at!
This might be worth a new thread, we are a bit off on a rabbit trail...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
April 10, 2019 07:52PM
Pasttom Wrote:
> Fire up the critics... I believe part of the boun
> ce with the 600/800 (and other super fast units) i
> s actually multiple readings of the target itself.
> It feels something like an analog signal because i
> t has such a short recovery time it's like a video
> vs a series of single frames, a machine gun vs a s
> emiautomatic being rapid fired. Am I wrong? It's
> theory, opinion, impression or thought that I cann
> ot offer data or support for- so have at!
> This might be worth a new thread, we are a bit off
> on a rabbit trail...

I think you nailed it.
Video coming up soon here to demonstrate Nox behavior. Will post in a few hours. Currently uploading. Gotta go detecting.

Will post in its own new thread.

Question or maybe fact.
Isn’t tone always more accurate generally than visual ID (numbers) ?

If this is the case, I actually think Equinox may be under reporting number wise ID it is actually sensing (Still reports fast though visually) . And this may be the why behind only having a 35 number scale in nonferrous zone.
If Eqx had say a 50 scale like Etrac, I think folks would be even more dissatisfied with Nox ID on targets.
Just my impressions testing and using the unit.

Problem here is NASA Tom may be limited to what he can share on this subject.
So we may have to go it alone.

Wonder if.
Wonder if a manufacturer actually made a detector and offered let’s say like Nox a 35 nonferous scale. But also gave user option to run in say a 50 nonferrous scale. Now wonder which scale if a person stuck to cherry picking coins would miss the most???

Oh I forgot to say.
And Geotech here may be able to help out.
We have seen one detector series actually paint maybe what the EQX is doing tonally over a target. The Vx3 and V3i detectors certainly could show a coin titled (depth restricted though) yet V3 series tone I don’t think would give this info away like EQX does with coil sweeps. Been a while since I ran a V3 anything. Now there are other things that indeed my drive EQX tone behavior on a nonferous target beside titled whatever. Like maskers, mineral, etc.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2019 08:38PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 10, 2019 09:44PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> silverfiend Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > goodmore Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > The VDI numbers bouncing deserve an update twe
> ak
> >
> > NO! Thats not a design failure. "curing" it wo
> uld ruin the functionality of the machine. You wa
> nt a perfectly stable VDI reading, go get one of t
> hose crappy old digital Garretts. "stable" VDI me
> ans the detector is averaging out targets and and
> giving super slow TID updates. The Nox is a super
> fast recovering detector, that means your going to
> get TID changes from the bits of trash that are ar
> ound the target.
>
> Well said and I completely agree. Learn how to us
> e your machine, what it's telling you, and you'll
> find plenty.

Oh....I am learning. I just feel the number bounce got worse with the update. And the pinpointing is the worst I have ever had on a detector. Coins on edge? Could be. But terrible is terrible.
April 10, 2019 09:47PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Goody.....grab a Sov....hip mount it...and add tha
> t meter...there ya are. What made BBS so good?
> No meter/digits.....adds meter like the Nox who kn
> ows...bouncy screen?

Give us a waterproof BBS unit and all those old Excals can be tossed in the trash. Divers? Use that new Nokta Hand PI. Yeah they have FBS 2. How about BBS 2?
April 10, 2019 11:53PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Goody.....grab a Sov....hip mount it...and add that meter...there ya are. What made BBS so good?
> No meter/digits.....adds meter like the Nox who knows...bouncy screen?

The Sovereign has great audio, probably the best of any detector I've ever used, but it's so sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow.
April 11, 2019 12:16AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Pasttom Wrote:
> -----
> > Fire up the critics... I believe part of the bounce with the 600/800 (and other super fast units) is actually multiple readings of the target itself.
> > It feels something like an analog signal because it has such a short recovery time it's like a video vs a series of single frames, a machine gun vs a semiautomatic being rapid fired. Am I wrong? It's theory, opinion, impression or thought that I cannot offer data or support for- so have at!
> > This might be worth a new thread, we are a bit off on a rabbit trail...
>
>
> I think you nailed it.

> Question or maybe fact.
> Isn’t tone always more accurate generally than visual ID (numbers) ?

Some machines report in real-time (video) like the Nok/Mak detectors with their bleedy/blendy audio, and some are snap-shot (photo) machines like the F75. I believe the Equinox falls under the real-time/video operation. I've dug a lot of silver dimes with my Equinox, and sure a perfect one will lock on @ 25 and sound beautiful, but I've dug some deep ones with decent high tones, even faint high tones, with TID jumping around the high 20's to 32. Dug a super deep 1830's seated dime that was a faint high-tone, even pin-pointed faint, and was an easy 11" deep coin.

Tones provide audio intelligence, TID displays provide a more granular representation of what the audio is conveying, and often are not locked together. I don't feel they are locked together on the Equinox, as I can get a jumpy TID with a beautiful faint high tone. It's more difficult to learn these audio nuances and forget trying to memorize TID#'s, but you can be rewarded with finds everyone else is walking away from because it's not a perfect 12-45 on their Etrac or didn't lock in @ 25 on their Equinox. If you expect every 13 to be a nickle, and every 25 to be a dime your leaving a lot behind for others to dig.
April 11, 2019 11:06AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> dewcon4414 Wrote:
> -----
> > Goody.....grab a Sov....hip mount it...and add t
> hat meter...there ya are. What made BBS so good?
> > No meter/digits.....adds meter like the Nox who
> knows...bouncy screen?
>
> The Sovereign has great audio, probably the best o
> f any detector I've ever used, but it's so slooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooow.

Agree with both of you! Dusted off my 'Sov XS2a' w/8" Coinsearch coil NO meter hip-mounted and hit the beach yesterday (didn't get the coil wet) and had a great old time and love those 'buzzy raspy' audio utterances!
Loads of lead bits and older coins (some legible green, others worn away to shiny paper thin copper discs) as I worked under a cliff where any storm activity (very little) had thrown heavier objects into the rocks and shingle areas.
A great afternoon in not such nice weather cool, dull, grey but no rain!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 11:09AM by Des D.
April 12, 2019 10:22PM
Might have to do with the UNKNOWN to be found in EU fields....I mean thousands of years of history. Kind of hard to compete with that.