Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The first detector to have onboard charging?

Posted by Des D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The first detector to have onboard charging?
May 06, 2019 03:47PM
Hi all,

Am having a "Duh" moment - was driving to a site today and flashed back to the olden days of early detecting and couldn't remember which (a) brand (b) model, featured 'onboard recharging' and/or 'rechargeable batteries' that didn't have to be removed for charging?

Thinking "Teknetics" - the 9000 model? Or, was it the "Fisher 1266-X", with what was described as, "built-in recharge circuitry for optional recharger", or the "Compass" brand, "X-70 Challenger" model.
Or was it something else entirely and pre-dated the above?

Des D
Re: The first detector to have onboard charging?
May 06, 2019 04:08PM
Analog meter series of Teknetics, e.g. 8500, predating the LCD display 9000 had onboard nicad charging. That's the earliest iteration I can think of.

Nautilus had a recharge jack for 9.6V NIcads early on but I don't remember if it was before the DMC-II or not because I never used nicads.

Last week, I bought the parts to set up a Tek Mark 1 with two USB chargeable lithium cells with boost regulators to see if I can get it light enough to not snap my arm off. I remember these being a lot lighter in the 80s!! ;op

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 07:09PM by J-ROB.
May 06, 2019 04:54PM
Nautilus I believe.

g
May 06, 2019 06:33PM
The Fisher 1260-X had an optional Ni Cad battery rechargeable system.
May 06, 2019 10:36PM
I used a 1260 in like 83 or so and it had a recharge jack.

The challengers were mid 80's I think?

D-Tex may of had one in the late 70s?/Heck I cant remember.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 12, 2019 02:10PM
...have a vague recollection of looking at a rechargeable option for this detector but can't remember and I haven't documented what happened to it?
I know I Sold it but 'when' and to 'whom' and 'where?'