Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

US Detector Companies

Posted by virginia digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
US Detector Companies
May 16, 2019 10:31AM
I just had a thought......with all the new brands and models of machines coming from overseas, will there be any US companies left in 10 years? We all know what happened to Tesoro. Do you think the rest of the companies talk to each other ?
Re: US Detector Companies
May 16, 2019 10:48AM
The US is a major consumer in a global market. Capitalism culls out the weak. As a consumer I want value for my dollar. There is no loyalty to a company for an inferior product that costs more. Buying American today has been eroded by piece manufacturing and a continued squeeze of the middle class and their bank accounts.
May 16, 2019 11:21AM
At the risk of my response touching on politics a bit I will respond here.
We as a country (USA) - when one thinks about it we were being taken advantage of as consumers.

So what have we witnessed?
We have witnessed other countries making things. And making things with overall better design and engineering.

A few comes to mind.

Rimfire rifles.
Wonder which brand is the most popular in USA?
I don’t know but a company called CZ is in the pack. These guns make in CZech republic. And before iron curtain fell CZ products couldn’t be sold in USA.
As a result of CZ it is my opinion USA rimfire manufacturers, some of them up their game and eventually started making better rimfires. Some though are still struggling.

Autos.
We saw this happen decades ago now. Japan dealt the USA auto manufacturers a blow and gave them a good lesson.
Case in point.
Ever look at the front tires on a driven 4x4 Chevy or dodge truck back in the 80s and 90s? Result of straight axle poor design.
The front tires would be chopped off of them on the edges.
Low and behold it was Datsan/Nissan that in 1985 brought out the independent front end with torsion bars. Tires wore well on these.

Overhead cams were lacking early on on most USA autos. The Japanese jumped on this concept and now look at the whole auto industry? Overhead cams are common place.

This auto company Kia. Watch them. They struggled a bit a first but now they are doing well. They are a serious auto manufacturer. The roads are crawling with del sols too, just look around.

Rifle scopes
Leupold use to be a household name for good quality scopes. But look out here came Vortex and even the Chinese are making the Anthlon brand scopes and Sighton came on the scen strong too. Vortex scope company I think has put a hurting on premiere scope manufacturer called Nightforce. I just bought one of the Nightforces. Should be here in a few days. An itch I just had to scratch. Lol

So the world has been unlocked it seems.
The results of WW2. The iron curtain falling. Internet, email, you tube, DHL, fed ex, UPS, cell phones.
There likely will be more unlocking.

We might even see some very good products coming out of Iran and Iraq in time.
And the same with North Korea.

Detectors
Basically the same thing is happening. A USA detector manufacturer better not think they have a dead lock on their market share. Brand loyalty - companies better not take for granted! If they do without making products to challenge the competition they’ll be sorry.

Tesoro is gone.
Troy is gone.

More will be gone in due time.

We see who the real players are now currently. Not the same REAL players we saw even just 10 years ago.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 11:46AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 16, 2019 12:06PM
It is a bit of a vicious cycle - no new detectors/platforms on offer (not a rehash), seemingly no future vision resulting in lack of funds for innovation and re-tooling. Once your engineering personnel jump ship, can you imagine the lead time for producing a new detector, even if competent engineering personnel were hired in quick succession.

I reckon Nokta/Makro have produced a lineup of detectors that should have already been on the cards for US base manufacturers years ago. Am also worried that it is too little too late to dive into what is currently a saturated market for VLF detectors, not unless they can bring something unique to the table that will set them apart from the others - including competitive pricing.

Even the budget segment is looking to get a serious shakeup with the Simplex and its long list of features and hellishly low pricing. Has the opportunity to make many US mass produced budget detectors look expensive for what you get.

Maybe the US Govt. should look at supporting their tech companies by offering funds to encourage innovation rather than rely on protection from outside markets through tariffs, just as they do in Australia and Turkey.

Not a case of propping up companies, moreso rewarding them to take a few risks and to have a competitive edge.
May 16, 2019 01:18PM
The "problem" with the US detector companies is the ownership has no love for the hobby. The founders WERE detectorists and actually used the products they created. Then the owners retired or died and the next generation took over. This generation doesnt care about detecting, the company is just a company. They stop development and research and just start pocketing the cash. Its just a matter of time before the company dies. This has happened many times, most recently to Tesoro and White's looks to be on the same road. Garrett at least understands marketing and social media.

FT used to be the k-mart of the detecting world, but they have acquired some good brands and they are still actively doing research and design. They have a great understanding of market tiers and produce lots of options.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

May 16, 2019 01:34PM
No. I don't think they talk to each other. American manufacturing has been doomed by government over regulation. Thankfully, we now have an administration that understands that needless regulations kill innovation by raising costs to domestic manufacturers. We can't compete on the world stage due to the shackles we put on ourselves. Hopefully, with the aggressive removal of rediculous regulations, our American owned MD companies can compete again and maybe we will even see some new start ups.

Dean
May 16, 2019 01:37PM
Poorly run small companies disappear all the time. Tesoro is a classic case - the founder and only detector engineer retires then passes away. No new models are released, dealers lose interest, poof.

Whites seems to be a revolving door over the last few years and with a family ownership without the firm hand of the founder, investment funds might be scarce.

Garrett is busy doing lord knows what - not producing new models, but still selling lots of AT’s and Ace’s. Their advertising is everywhere and seems to be effective.

First Texas sells more metal detectors than any other company in the world - a large percentage of these are Bounty Hunter machines sold online and through Big Box stores. No new high end machine has been released for about 5 years. They have a large and talented engineering staff who must be working on something. I suspect change is in the wind.

As far as government support for Research and Development, the US seems to be pretty high on the carts prepared by the OEDC (Organization for Economoc Develpment and Co-operation) The US is well ahead of Australia and Turkey is way down in the middle

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 16, 2019 02:20PM
We are indeed seeing more 'Worldly' markets. Many 3rd World Countries...… are now 2nd World. Many 2nd World Countries..... are now 1st rate. China can build:
Inexpensive = Junk
Mid-priced = OK quality
High-priced = Premium quality

Japan. Same thing...…. but more-so leans towards mid and high quality commodities.

TNSS = Yes. The CZ-452 (and the like) are very good products...… especially as of late. Will match a Anschutz; yet, at 1/2 the price. Remember: Nearly ALL .22 LR products rate-of-twist rifling is "Max-Q" for 40gr round-nose "STANDARD" velocity (1045FPS - 1110FPS) speed. If you want a superior product...…. look at Cooper Rifle (in .22 LR). This is a American Mfr. Also...…. look at Kimber (yet; I believe.... they have discontinued .22)….. as they are a American Mfr. also. Premium stuff..... that is Mfr'd here in the U.S.
Yes...…. as far as glass...………… (American) Leupold has come a long way; but...…. take a look at Nikon FX-1000 First Focal Plane. You will NEVER go back to Second Focal Plane. This is to implicate.... MANY technological advancements/inventions are indeed taking place abroad (around the World).

I have had Carl Moreland, Mark Lawrie, Dimitar Gargov, Nokta/Makro (and more) Chief Design Engineers at my house. ALL are stunningly brilliant people..... (more than you may think). They are ALL a nearly identical genetic imprint of each other. Maybe slightly different angles-of-approach to the exact same product; yet, extremely: "like-minded". Passionate. Does NOT matter 'what' part of the World they come form. Genetically...… nearly identical human footprint.
Collectively...…. some day...… I may implement a collaborative effort to bring these ganglion/brain/nucleus/protoplasm inventive engineers to the same table...… for a brainstorm session. THEY would love it. Their corporate Presidents would HATE it. The outcome: Multilayered 32X (rapid) human technological advancement. . . . from scientific-basis standpoint.
May 16, 2019 02:27PM
But how many components of anything are made where?
"Assembled in USA" is more common nowdays, but how much is it really an American product when only 5-10% of the value comes from the US?
May 16, 2019 05:57PM
The value of a product is more than the price of the components. The conception, engineering, mechanical design, procurement if all the bits, production line design and qualification, marketing, packaging design and production. All this adds a substantial portion of the value of a product as well as its cost. Even when a large number of the discrete electronic bits are manufactured outside the US, in the case of US manufacturers at the scale of Garrett, Whites and First Texas, they source those components through US wholesalers. Add also the very expensive up front costs of injection moulding masters (50-100k for a control box) and the US sources bought in aluminum and plastic bits and you would quickly see that the US content of products like US made metal detectors is really quite high.

Compare that, for example with Minelab who do not even assemble their products in Australia - their “national content” is pretty well limited to design and marketing` In fact the pinpointer wasn’t just built outside Australia (Ireland) but the company in Ireland did all the mechanical AND ELECTRONIC design. Not picking on ML, just saying so folks don’t think that this a purely US problem.

Rick Kempf
May 16, 2019 06:32PM
Brand loyalty for me personally has never existed. Performance and price. That's it.

Regulation is not a bad thing. Why does it exist? Greed! There are those that would go to any length for the almighty dollar. From destroying the environment to the health and safety of employees. Oh corporate greed!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 07:11PM by goodmore.
May 16, 2019 08:56PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brand loyalty for me personally has never existed.
> Performance and price. That's it.
>
> Regulation is not a bad thing. Why does it exist?
> Greed! There are those that would go to any length
> for the almighty dollar. From destroying the envir
> onment to the health and safety of employees. Oh c
> orporate greed!

Please note I said "rediculous" government regulations. Of which there are many. Everybody, no matter their political affiliation, wants their employees safe and the environment protected ....with common sense regulations. Not greedy government over reach that serves some rediculous agenda which kills American jobs and innovation. Try being self employed.... ( especially in an over regulated state like California) then you'll see what I mean.

Dean
May 16, 2019 10:04PM
This thread a good one.
When one thinks about it.
From a technology standpoint we for years operated with “half a brain”.
We basically wasn’t able hear from half the rest of the world.
Imagine if this digital world we are currently would have happened back 50 years earlier or even 100 years earlier.

Just think I can sit in my living room and read what definitely above average minded folks are thinking. Little ole me. All for just $21.95 a month for internet and a $300 lap top or iPad.
Before this I would never get to read what these folks are thinking.
Unless maybe if they wrote a book and I purchase or place an article in a magazine and I happened to see or buy. Magazines now though are really dead.

So the Dankowski detecting forum is serving us all well.
And we should all be thankful for it.

Keep up the good work Wild Wally.

Twelve years and almost 3 months ago.
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
Cheers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 10:09PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 17, 2019 12:08AM
goodmore Wrote:
> Brand loyalty for me personally has never existed.
> Performance and price. That's it.
>
> Regulation is not a bad thing. Why does it exist?
> for the almighty dollar. From destroying the envir
> onment to the health and safety of employees. Oh c
> orporate greed!

Well said.
May 17, 2019 01:19AM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
> goodmore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Brand loyalty for me personally has never existe
> d.
> > Performance and price. That's it.
> >
> > Regulation is not a bad thing. Why does it exist
> ?
> > Greed! There are those that would go to any leng
> th
> > for the almighty dollar. From destroying the env
> ir
> > onment to the health and safety of employees. Oh
> c
> > orporate greed!
>
> Well said.

Which part?
May 17, 2019 07:58AM
It will take years for Companies from over seas to find their place here. Purchase a new Marvel from across the pond and try to get a fair price for it used. Not gonna happen. The world has gone Nox and Deus crazy. Top one of those two and they have a chance.
May 17, 2019 09:15AM
bado1 Wrote:
> SkiWhiz Wrote:
> -----
> > goodmore Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > Brand loyalty for me personally has never exis
> te
> > d.
> > > Performance and price. That's it.
> > >
> > > Regulation is not a bad thing. Why does it exi
> st
> > ?
> > > Greed! There are those that would go to any le
> ng
> > th
> > > for the almighty dollar. From destroying the e
> nv
> > ir
> > > onment to the health and safety of employees.
> Oh
> > c
> > > orporate greed!
> >
> > Well said.
>
>
> Which part?

This part -

Greed! There are those that would go to any length for the almighty dollar, corporate greed!

Not so much in the detector world but applies to alot of companies. Example I took my wife car to get an oil change the other day at a very larger chain of repair store and a couple of the workers told me that the big wig of the company told them if they kept up the good work and brought in enough money that he would be able to go on a cruise to the Bahamas again this year. These fellas have been there 5 years and are making $11.30 an hour minimum wage. I was a technician at my last job and was making $12.75/ hour doing repairs on the big led lights that we built. I was send all over the country then they decided to just replace the lights instead of repairing them. So they were going to put me back on the production line and drop me back to minimum wage.
May 17, 2019 11:50AM
Which Hunger is the worst: GREED or POWER ---or are they one and the same?
May 17, 2019 01:25PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
> bado1 Wrote:
> -----
> > SkiWhiz Wrote:
> --
> > -----
> > > goodmore Wrote:
> > > ----------------------------------------------
> --
> > --
> > > -----
> > > > Brand loyalty for me personally has never ex
> is
> > te
> > > d.
> > > > Performance and price. That's it.
> > > >
> > > > Regulation is not a bad thing. Why does it e
> xi
> > st
> > > ?
> > > > Greed! There are those that would go to any
> le
> > ng
> > > th
> > > > for the almighty dollar. From destroying the
> e
> > nv
> > > ir
> > > > onment to the health and safety of employees
> .
> > Oh
> > > c
> > > > orporate greed!
> > >
> > > Well said.
> >
> >
> > Which part?
>
> This part -
>
> for the almighty dollar, corporate greed!
>
> Not so much in the detector world but applies to a
> lot of companies. Example I took my wife car to ge
> t an oil change the other day at a very larger cha
> in of repair store and a couple of the workers tol
> d me that the big wig of the company told them if
> they kept up the good work and brought in enough m
> oney that he would be able to go on a cruise to th
> e Bahamas again this year. These fellas have been
> there 5 years and are making $11.30 an hour minimu
> m wage. I was a technician at my last job and was
> making $12.75/ hour doing repairs on the big led l
> ights that we built. I was send all over the count
> ry then they decided to just replace the lights in
> stead of repairing them. So they were going to put
> me back on the production line and drop me back to
> minimum wage.

That constitutes "corporate greed"??? If a person CHOOSES to work for minimum wage for 5 years that's THEIR problem! That's not "corporate greed". That's lack of motivation on the part of the employee! Who the hell stays at a minimum wage job for 5 years!? Companies make decisions all the time based on staying profitable. That is why they are in business!!! To make a profit. Nobody ever said, " I want to go into business so that I can employ people".

If you don't like the decision that your company made...LEAVE! Go find another job! You are not bound to that company in any way.

Take a risk, become self employed, experience being an employer. You will see things from a totally different perspective.

Dean
May 17, 2019 01:36PM
bado1 Wrote:
...... That is why they are in bus
> iness!!! To make a profit. Nobody ever said, " I w
> ant to go into business so that I can employ peopl
> e".
>
>
> Dean

There was a PERFECT example of this concept just in the last couple years. A young man started a tech company and was doing VERY well. I think he was a millionaire in a few years because of his company. He decided that the liberal hippies were right and he should pay all his employees massive salaries, and pay everyone the same. It was only a matter of months before managers began leaving because they were being paid the same as the new guy just hired. Even the huge pay didnt stop people from asking for more. Employee satisfaction plummeted and about a year later the company collapsed, the young man who built it was bankrupt, homeless, and moved back in with his parents.

May 17, 2019 02:37PM
In a tech field you have to pay to keep good people....some are just hard to replace. Good example was Barry at KellyCo....he did repairs he died and we know how that went. But you have to have new ideas on the table. Big companies like ML ....have the money and people....they squirrel away patents. New company comes out and it’s difficult keeping up with the big dogs who can produce a machine at different levels almost annually. Or in the case of the Nox just halt everyone’s sales based on something new coming......nothing was selling for months. That’s where ya want to be.
May 17, 2019 04:08PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Or in the case of the Nox just halt everyone’s sales based o
> n something new coming......nothing was selling fo
> r months. That’s where ya want to be.

Dew, I don't agree with that. I believe it is unfair trading and anti competitive. Hate to see it happening and we know, it does, it is and it's continuing.

RELEASE ONLY WHEN READY...
May 17, 2019 04:48PM
bado1 Wrote:
> SkiWhiz Wrote:
> -----
> > bado1 Wrote:
> --
> > -----
> > > SkiWhiz Wrote:
> --
> > --
> > > -----
> > > > goodmore Wrote:
> > > > --------------------------------------------
> --
> > --
> > > --
> > > > -----
> > > > > Brand loyalty for me personally has never
> ex
> > is
> > > te
> > > > d.
> > > > > Performance and price. That's it.
> > > > >
> > > > > Regulation is not a bad thing. Why does it
> e
> > xi
> > > st
> > > > ?
> > > > > Greed! There are those that would go to an
> y
> > le
> > > ng
> > > > th
> > > > > for the almighty dollar. From destroying t
> he
> > e
> > > nv
> > > > ir
> > > > > onment to the health and safety of employe
> es
> > .
> > > Oh
> > > > c
> > > > > orporate greed!
> > > >
> > > > Well said.
> > >
> > >
> > > Which part?
> >
> > This part -
> >
> > Greed! There are those that would go to any leng
> th
> > for the almighty dollar, corporate greed!
> >
> > Not so much in the detector world but applies to
> a
> > lot of companies. Example I took my wife car to
> ge
> > t an oil change the other day at a very larger c
> ha
> > in of repair store and a couple of the workers t
> ol
> > d me that the big wig of the company told them i
> f
> > they kept up the good work and brought in enough
> m
> > oney that he would be able to go on a cruise to
> th
> > e Bahamas again this year. These fellas have bee
> n
> > there 5 years and are making $11.30 an hour mini
> mu
> > m wage. I was a technician at my last job and wa
> s
> > making $12.75/ hour doing repairs on the big led
> l
> > ights that we built. I was send all over the cou
> nt
> > ry then they decided to just replace the lights
> in
> > stead of repairing them. So they were going to p
> ut
> > me back on the production line and drop me back
> to
> > minimum wage.
>
> That constitutes "corporate greed"??? If a person
> CHOOSES to work for minimum wage for 5 years that'
> s THEIR problem! That's not "corporate greed". Tha
> t's lack of motivation on the part of the employee
> ! Who the hell stays at a minimum wage job for 5 y
> ears!? Companies make decisions all the time based
> on staying profitable. That is why they are in bus
> iness!!! To make a profit. Nobody ever said, " I w
> ant to go into business so that I can employ peopl
> e".
>
> If you don't like the decision that your company
> made...LEAVE! Go find another job! You are not bou
> nd to that company in any way.
>
> Take a risk, become self employed, experience bein
> g an employer. You will see things from a totally
> different perspective.
>
> Dean

I was a self employed daily farmer for many years and a satellite dealer while I was farming, unless you have ever tried making a living farming you have no idea how hard it is to make a living at it. I figured at 50 years old I had to take whatever job I could. Where a person lives plays a big part, we live in a small area in northern New York where the only decent paying jobs are being a correction officer & that isn't for me. I know that you are you going to reply in a negative way as I know that you don't overly care for me & tell me/others in my area to move away but it shouldn't have to.
May 17, 2019 05:03PM
The Nox twins and captured much of the mid to high market segment. If the new Simplex arrives and has the same impact in the lower tier, then the U.S. makers are going to be squeezed even more. Especially if the Simplex is driven into Big Box stores.

If this new Minelab offering is a Nox like PI with decent salt performance at the $1400-$1500USD price point it would present a challenge to the MDT-8000 and new FT PI. Garrett has the advantage of being in the Security market and FT in the Optics market to offset loses on the detector side. But White’s, oh boy........

You need good management to provide a direction, a good product manager, and an engineering team that can deliver! It's a three legged stool, minus one leg and you are history.
May 17, 2019 05:13PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
> bado1 Wrote:
> -----
> > SkiWhiz Wrote:
> --
> > -----
> > > bado1 Wrote:
> --
> > --
> > > -----
> > > > SkiWhiz Wrote:
> > > > --------------------------------------------
> --
> > --
> > > --
> > > > -----
> > > > > goodmore Wrote:
> > > > > ------------------------------------------
> --
> > --
> > > --
> > > > --
> > > > > -----
> > > > > > Brand loyalty for me personally has neve
> r
> > ex
> > > is
> > > > te
> > > > > d.
> > > > > > Performance and price. That's it.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Regulation is not a bad thing. Why does
> it
> > e
> > > xi
> > > > st
> > > > > ?
> > > > > > Greed! There are those that would go to
> an
> > y
> > > le
> > > > ng
> > > > > th
> > > > > > for the almighty dollar. From destroying
> t
> > he
> > > e
> > > > nv
> > > > > ir
> > > > > > onment to the health and safety of emplo
> ye
> > es
> > > .
> > > > Oh
> > > > > c
> > > > > > orporate greed!
> > > > >
> > > > > Well said.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Which part?
> > >
> > > This part -
> > >
> > > Greed! There are those that would go to any le
> ng
> > th
> > > for the almighty dollar, corporate greed!
> > >
> > > Not so much in the detector world but applies
> to
> > a
> > > lot of companies. Example I took my wife car t
> o
> > ge
> > > t an oil change the other day at a very larger
> c
> > ha
> > > in of repair store and a couple of the workers
> t
> > ol
> > > d me that the big wig of the company told them
> i
> > f
> > > they kept up the good work and brought in enou
> gh
> > m
> > > oney that he would be able to go on a cruise t
> o
> > th
> > > e Bahamas again this year. These fellas have b
> ee
> > n
> > > there 5 years and are making $11.30 an hour mi
> ni
> > mu
> > > m wage. I was a technician at my last job and
> wa
> > s
> > > making $12.75/ hour doing repairs on the big l
> ed
> > l
> > > ights that we built. I was send all over the c
> ou
> > nt
> > > ry then they decided to just replace the light
> s
> > in
> > > stead of repairing them. So they were going to
> p
> > ut
> > > me back on the production line and drop me bac
> k
> > to
> > > minimum wage.
> >
> > That constitutes "corporate greed"??? If a perso
> n
> > CHOOSES to work for minimum wage for 5 years tha
> t'
> > s THEIR problem! That's not "corporate greed". T
> ha
> > t's lack of motivation on the part of the employ
> ee
> > ! Who the hell stays at a minimum wage job for 5
> y
> > ears!? Companies make decisions all the time bas
> ed
> > on staying profitable. That is why they are in b
> us
> > iness!!! To make a profit. Nobody ever said, " I
> w
> > ant to go into business so that I can employ peo
> pl
> > e".
> >
> > If you don't like the decision that your company
> > made...LEAVE! Go find another job! You are not b
> ou
> > nd to that company in any way.
> >
> > Take a risk, become self employed, experience be
> in
> > g an employer. You will see things from a totall
> y
> > different perspective.
> >
> > Dean
>
> I was a self employed daily farmer for many years
> and a satellite dealer while I was farming, unless
> you have ever tried making a living farming you ha
> ve no idea how hard it is to make a living at it.
> I figured at 50 years old I had to take whatever j
> ob I could. Where a person lives plays a big part,
> we live in a small area in northern New York where
> the only decent paying jobs are being a correction
> officer & that isn't for me. I know that you are y
> ou going to reply in a negative way as I know that
> you don't overly care for me & tell me/others in m
> y area to move away but it shouldn't have to.

I think Dean was only trying to be realistic Steve.----Don't think it has anything to do with him not liking you--he's not that way.--------As the old saying goes (sometimes) "you have to go where the work is".------I know I've been faced with that predicament before in my working years.-----------Del
May 17, 2019 05:21PM
Minelab hasn’t introduced a new PI detector since the SDC2300 - that was 5 years ago. The GPX platform doesn’t have a real future, it is already heavily discounted. The GPZ is not a PI detector - it’s a sort of super VLF and is too noisy to be of much use at the beach. They have never made a PI that wasn’t a gold (or mine) detector.

The Equinox effectively killed the CTX as well as the Safari and E-Track, the X-Terra was practically dead already. They really need something both above and below the Equinox.

Rick Kempf
May 17, 2019 05:50PM
The hobby is no longer what it once was.. Must have found it all? We know better!
It's not about the manufacture of detectors, it's about the fast advancement of technology
that US manufactures cannot grasp.
Seems as if anyone anywhere can build a detector but building a state of the art detector is the
difficult part.
Most detectors are not keeping up with state of the art design, as simple as that!
Australian, French, Bulgarian, etc. detectors are now state of the art. Chinese detectors aren't
far behind, just depends on how long it takes them to steel the design.
All a bit sad.

g
May 17, 2019 06:57PM
duplicate post
May 17, 2019 07:12PM
Des D Wrote:
> dewcon4414 Wrote:
> -----
> > Or in the case of the Nox just halt everyone’s
> sales based o
> > n something new coming......nothing was selling
> fo
> > r months. That’s where ya want to be.
>
>
> Dew, I don't agree with that. I believe it is unfa
> ir trading and anti competitive. Hate to see it ha
> ppening and we know, it does, it is and it's conti
> nuing.
>
> RELEASE ONLY WHEN READY...[/siz
> e]

Absolutely nothing "unfair" about a company advertising an upcoming model. If every other sale halted in anticipation, thats a tribute to ML's customer expectation. If BountyHunter had done the same thing, it wouldnt have made a ripple in the market. Tesoro hyped an unreleased model that NEVER appeared and it didn't hurt anyone's sales. The fact is that ML is currently the gorilla in the room. Everybody watches them and respects what they say. THAT is the reason the EQX release hurt other companies.

May 17, 2019 08:55PM
No. It's still 'unfair'

The 'old Minelab' wouldn't have done it.

New owners - different attitude.

And yes, alluding to this thread, 'the old Minelab' used talk to their 'competitors'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 08:59PM by Des D.