Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need help to ID a button found at a pre-civil war site.

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Need help to ID a button found at a pre-civil war site.
June 07, 2019 02:45AM
I've been hunting an old fort site that dates from 1851-1862, we've been finding some pretty good stuff. Today my buddy and I both dug a button we cannot seem to ID. We were told they are kepi buttons, but, I cannot find any pics that match the ones we found, anyone have any idea what they are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 03:05AM by Dan(NM).
Re: Need help to ID a button found at a pre-civil war site.
June 07, 2019 04:13AM
Congrats thumbs down I believe that's an 1840's US Military button (general service?).

I've seen a few of those found in California, which are pretty early for out here, as you have to image that prior to the gold rush that started in 1849-1849, there was less then 1,000 non Native Americans in California (after all it was the scary western frontier full of savages and heathens!). Even though I dug an 1820 U.S. Militia button in California at a site that spans the early 1800's to the early 1900's, this is a button on my bucket list to dig in California. Again congrats on the great find smileys with beer
June 07, 2019 08:45AM
Dan -- I dug one just like that, at the 1850-1870 fort site that I was privileged to hunt a few times. NASA-Tom identified it as a "Kepi" button...

NICE dig!

Steve
June 07, 2019 02:31PM
Yep Kepi button I've dug a few of those in Utah at an old fort site.
June 07, 2019 04:06PM
Thank you guys very much for the information and the confirmation.
June 10, 2019 04:36AM
1840s Kepi button

Nice!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla