Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What will happen to the CZ-21 after the Manta is released?

Posted by RichW 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What will happen to the CZ-21 after the Manta is released?
June 14, 2019 04:41PM
Will it be discontinued? Will it finally get a make over or... still be available as is? Any thoughts or guesses?
Re: What will happen to the CZ-21 after the Manta is released?
June 14, 2019 05:20PM
Dinosaurs go extinct.
June 14, 2019 05:46PM
It’s like the Xcal.....dive rated to over 200 ft. It would have to be replaced otherwise they would have no dive machine. To me THATS the only reason they haven’t been discontinued.
June 14, 2019 08:44PM
“Nailed it” Dew - And that’s reason enough. PI’s and VLF’s are not interchangeable. They both have strengths and weaknesses. No “wunderwaffen” exists and I doubt it will anytime soon. Tools for jobs. I you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 14, 2019 09:06PM
It all depends on sales. If enough people still want a high quality dive detector then they will probably keep it around until they make an Impulse for diving.

The CZ platform has been around a while but it can still compete with the best VLF's today. They just need to make a CZ for the beach. Fisher could have had the number one beach detector in the world for the last 20 years but for some reason they chose to ignore that part of the hobby. The Excal and CZ21 were not designed to be used on the beach even though beach detecting makes up a large part of their sales.

Imagine a lightweight waterproof ergonomic CZ beach machine that you can change coils and headphones. I'm certain a modernized CZ could equal or even outperform the Equinox on the wet sand and in the water.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 09:13PM by Badger in NH.
June 14, 2019 09:12PM
Badger if the AQ works.... all those VLFs maybe put in the closet. HOWEVER....... dont count them out yet...... we havent seen the price tag or warranty of the AQ.
June 14, 2019 09:17PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Badger if the AQ works.... all those VLFs maybe pu
> t in the closet. HOWEVER....... dont count them
> out yet...... we havent seen the price tag or warr
> anty of the AQ.

That could happen, but I think a lot of people will still want to have a screen and all the features that come with VLF's. I don't expect the Equinox sales to drop much.

The only people who will want knobs and basic tone ID are the hardcore hunters like us. It won't make the Equinox obsolete even if it costs under $1000.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 09:23PM by Badger in NH.
June 15, 2019 12:11AM
If they think about it you may be right.....yet they still buy the Xcal and CZ...knobs or not.
OBN
June 15, 2019 12:39AM
I don't think the Manta / "AQ" will be for everyone. I see the CZ21 around till the end. And I don't see it replacing my excalibur's, but I do see it getting used at 50% of my outings.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
June 15, 2019 12:46AM
Most of the Excals and CZ's up here have all been replaced by the Equinox. We rarely see them anymore. That's probably because 99 percent of our beach hunting is done on the wet sand and not in the water.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2019 12:53AM by Badger in NH.
June 15, 2019 12:59AM
Very few people dive. Keeping a model for that small of a percentage? The Equinox ate a big chunk of the beach market. The Manta depending on price has the potential to eat a large chunk as well. The eventual release of the Nokta multi frequency unit will take more.
OBN
June 15, 2019 05:14AM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> Most of the Excals and CZ's up here have all been
> replaced by the Equinox. We rarely see them anymor
> e. That's probably because 99 percent of our beach
> hunting is done on the wet sand and not in the wat
>er

Yes............. the Nox's are taking over here also with the younger crowd, (younger then me) smiling smiley I also seriously doubt I'll see any "AQ's"............ for no one finds more then a few gold rings a year here, most are weekend hunters / fresh drop hunters and won't spend the bucks.

And......You guys could be right on the CZ21 now that I'm thinking about it. Seems now the Nox is close to being #1, or is?

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
June 23, 2019 01:02AM
Badger, why is that, I haven't seen anyone in the water in Maine in 16 years, there must be piles of gold, I still have a excal and CZ20 for retirement if it ever comes, should be next year if you go by age, probably in a few more tho
June 23, 2019 09:35AM
Caretaker Wrote:
> Badger, why is that, I haven't seen anyone in the
> water in Maine in 16 years, there must be piles of
> gold, I still have a excal and CZ20 for retirement
> if it ever comes, should be next year if you go by
> age, probably in a few more tho

Steve, one reason nobody hunts the water at the beaches up here is because of our big tides. That narrow strip beyond the low tide mark can be easily accessed for a few days each month during the negative low tides. That allows us to cover the entire swimming area without ever getting wet. There is really not a lot of gold out in the water compared to the rest of the beach and time is better spent on the wet sand where you can cover more ground in less time.
June 23, 2019 12:34PM
In a way water hunting is an advantage. IT requires a much slower FORCED sweep out there. To often i find myself moving along way to fast in the wet sand to cover it all QUICKLY. Honestly ..... there are days you might just want to slow way down and hunt less beach. You could be filtering out a lot of weak signals loosing considerable depth....... or just smaller gold.

It would be interesting to know just how many REALLY use the CZ to dive with wouldnt it. Just like i dont see the Xcal going away because of the Nox.
June 23, 2019 05:22PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> It would be interesting to know just how many REAL
> LY use the CZ to dive with wouldnt it. Just like
> i dont see the Xcal going away because of the Nox.

The CZ20/21 and the Excal are totally impractical for beach hunting. Heavy, hardwired, hip or chest mounted. What a hassle that was, but they had the performance we wanted and at the time there weren't many alternatives. Now we have the Equinox and soon the Impulse AQ. I expect more companies to start making lightweight ergonomic high performance beach detectors in the near future.

Twenty years ago, I was expecting at any moment to see Fisher, Minelab or someone make a proper beach machine and it hasn't happened until now.
June 23, 2019 06:58PM
Come on Badger..... the Nox is nose heavy my Xcal is pretty balanced. The Nox has advantages OUT of the water....but using PP mode IN the water it may have no advantage. By time you reduce sensitivity to make it quiet, raise the recovery, plus salt setting AND let not forget it’s working at a reduced power (maybe 50%). Good machine I like for beach hunting.... but don’t think those guys using an Xcal are at a disadvantage. The Xcal is still the machine used for comparisons.
June 23, 2019 07:32PM
The CZ and Xcal are still the top machines performancewise. They just need to incorporate that technology into a wet sand detector.

I have no interest whatsoever in entering the water. Water hunting at the beach is a waste of time up here. They really need to address both types of hunting with two different detectors. One for water and one for wet sand.

The CZ and Excal are easy to swing but at the expense of having to hip mount and use crappy hardwired headphones.
June 23, 2019 09:49PM
Kind of what Fisher is thinking maybe.

Different locations can really require different choices of detectors for sure.
June 23, 2019 11:11PM
We forgot to mention the MDT 8000. That is also a step in the right direction. I'll be using that pretty soon once the weather warms up and the fresh drops start happening. The water is still in the mid fifties up here. Not many people swimming yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 11:12PM by Badger in NH.
June 23, 2019 11:18PM
The things I’m finding has been with the MDT. I really intended to use this during the winter months when finds were tuff. But what I’m finding is it KILLS recent drops ....there are a lot of people in the water but the competition is just as busy. They ain’t leaving much....but so far my finds are up and a good many are deep hard pan finds.
June 24, 2019 01:49AM
It may be vanquished. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 01:50AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 24, 2019 09:03AM
By MLs placement of that machine........ i highly doubt its going to be a competitor for salt water hunting. The Xcal and CZ should still hold their own.