Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How hot is too hot?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How hot is too hot?
June 26, 2019 03:49PM
For you guys who keep a detector in the trunk of a car how hot before you bring it in at night? Above 90 degrees or so?
Also is it true analogs can stand more heat than digital detectors? Seems I always heard that.
Re: How hot is too hot?
June 26, 2019 04:41PM
In the Summertime, I never store my detectors in my SUV. When I go detecting I always try to park in the shade and keep my windows cracked. Weathertech window rain guards work great and are worth every penny. Not only do they help protect your detectors, but they also keep you from having to get into a hot parked vehicle.

tabman
June 27, 2019 12:12AM
I keep mine in the middle row of my SUV with the seat back folded down over the control boxes. That way they're never in direct sunlight. Windows open and sunshade in windshield. Fortunately I live in a town where theft is uncommon. Heat is the enemy of lithium batteries so I'm less likely to keep my MMK in the vehicle. I'm not as worried about AA/9 volt machines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2019 12:16AM by dgerst.
June 28, 2019 05:21PM
I dont know how hot it would have to get to mess one up??

probably some can take heat more than others.

Car electronics like radio and computers etc stay in the heat and keep on working..

The coils may take the worst part of the heat in direct sunlight I've seen heat warped coils.

I myself in the summer dont leave a detector in vehicle but just transport it and remove it when I'm back home..

I know a guy who has kept a Silver Sabre in his truck tool box's for 25 years i can think of. Buy new truck stick it in new box..It still works how good?? Dont know he digs stuff with it .
I've seen LCD screens in open sunlight in summer hunts get washed out I usually use a rag or something this time of year when I'm in direct sunlight over the displays even while hunting for more than a little while if there's no shade .

This time of the year till fall I still hunt but it usually in the woods in the mornings then break during the heat of the day and go back on construction sites in the evenings so I try to stay out of the direct sun hot times unless I have to..One good thing about summer there's alot of land clearing going on for evening and night hunts..

Down here I think the humidity at times may be worse for a unit than the heat.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 28, 2019 05:31PM
Going from hot to colder or cold to hotter. This could start a corrosion process. Non waterproof units especially. Might take some time.
Direct sunlight - leaving in auto, etc when it’s hot probably not good for screens.
Coils- epoxy filled. I don’t know what temp the stuff could be compromised.

Might be a safe bet to think. Take hot detector out of car. Is the coil electronics whatever altered by temp somewhat.

Seems Minelab likes White on GPX, etc.
Xp put white with deus Hf coils.