Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Looking for a coil recommendation for my ATPro

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Looking for a coil recommendation for my ATPro
July 09, 2019 03:24PM
I had bought the Garrett AT Pro Sport package which only came with the 5x8 DD coil. Functions fine for close work but not so hot for when I need to cover ground. Any recommendations out there for a good ground coverage coil that functions well with the AT Pro?

HH
Mike
Re: Looking for a coil recommendation for my ATPro
July 09, 2019 03:54PM
Most people who get the AT Pro with the stock search coil end up having to purchase the 5 x 8 because the stock search coil is way too nose heavy. I think NEL makes a Sharpshooter search coil for the AT Pro. It covers a little more ground and isn't too nose heavy since its attachment is in the center of the search coil.

tabman
July 09, 2019 04:26PM
Thanks Tabman.

I've been looking more at longer coils, like the NEL Thunder, or the CORS Cannon, or the Magic 9x13, or the Mars Tiger,

Just don't have any good performance feedback on them to get a warm fuzzy yet.

HH
Mike
July 09, 2019 04:26PM
I have the NEL Sharpshooter, the stock 11" DD, which I don't find to be nose heavy, and the Garrett 12" concentric. The latter, is a little nose heavy, but for my kind of hunting, old coins, the 12" gets a fair amount of use as it seems to be about a inch deeper. For your kind of hunting, I would suggest either the stock 11" DD or the NEL Sharpshooter. The Sharpshooter has a little more coverage then the 5 x 8 and compared to the 5 x 8 that I had gets noticeably better depth. If depth is important to you. HH jim tn
July 09, 2019 05:08PM
Thanks Jim,

The NEL sharpshooter is too small.

HH
Mike
July 09, 2019 05:22PM
My buddy loves his Thunder coil on his ATP.

He only uses it or the Garrett Super Sniper.
July 09, 2019 08:11PM
thanks Dave,

I downloaded some vids to watch tonight.

HH
Mike
July 10, 2019 11:11PM
Cannon/Thunder would be my choice. Very nose heavy though. Kenny's gizmo will help offset.
July 10, 2019 11:17PM
Look into the detect ultimate coil. 13" round super lightweight. Also you cant go wrong with any of the nel coils.
July 10, 2019 11:28PM
I would get the Mars Tiger 10x13 or Mars Discovery 13" round.Very light weight and great coils.
July 11, 2019 01:19PM
I started relic hunting with the AT pro.... bought 2 nel coils the attack and thunder. I also bought the 5 x 8 coil...… Here is what I learned in hindsight I should have saved my money and just upgraded my machine. Every time I see these type of threads on coil upgrades I tell poster the same thing dont waste your money on coil upgrades. Save it and upgrade your machine.....You will have nose heavy non separating machine if you buy a nel thunder coil....Waste of money......Advice sell your AT and save your 200 dollars on the coil upgrade and buy yourself a Equinox or used Deus...of course unless you like a nose heavy average performing machine..... BTW you will need a harness to swing a nel coil AT DEMO
July 11, 2019 03:14PM
Calabash,
I like my AT Pro. Its a very good metal detector and does what it does very well. I like that I can sweep it very slowly. I like that the tone id is deeper than the visual response. I like the tone roll audio over flat iron and even have uses for the bell tone option. I also like that it doesn't have built in rechargeable batteries to deal with which means I don't have to plan to use it, I can just grab it on impulse and take it out.

My only issue at the moment is that I require more ground coverage per sweep. I would prefer a nice 4"x20" DD coil for it but no one makes coils for my needs so I have to figure out how to make do with all the cookie cut relic hunting equipment everyone makes.

It is also not my only detector and if I have a specific need I can grab something else better suited to that specific purpose.

I keep and use detectors I like and enjoy using and rotate through them every few weeks. Once I get a bigger coil on the AT Pro I'll be able to use it more.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 03:33PM by Mike Hillis.
July 11, 2019 09:36PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Calabash,
> I like my AT Pro. Its a very good metal detector
> and does what it does very well. I like that I c
> an sweep it very slowly. I like that the tone id
> is deeper than the visual response. I like the t
> one roll audio over flat iron and even have uses f
> or the bell tone option. I also like that it doe
> sn't have built in rechargeable batteries to deal
> with which means I don't have to plan to use it,
> I can just grab it on impulse and take it out.
>
> My only issue at the moment is that I require more
> ground coverage per sweep. I would prefer a nice
> 4"x20" DD coil for it but no one makes coils for m
> y needs so I have to figure out how to make do wit
> h all the cookie cut relic hunting equipment every
> one makes.
>
> It is also not my only detector and if I have a sp
> ecific need I can grab something else better suite
> d to that specific purpose.
>
> I keep and use detectors I like and enjoy using an
> d rotate through them every few weeks. Once I get
> a bigger coil on the AT Pro I'll be able to use it
> more.
>
> HH
> Mike

As long as your happy.... Your definition of good and mine are way two different things.....and in these days there are way better performing detectors out there for the money. Equinox being the main one that blows the AT series out of the water. It even has a giant 15 inch coil that is pretty lightweight for the size... Anyway that was just my opinion and was just trying to save someone from my past mistakes..
July 15, 2019 09:35PM
I decided to get the stock 8x11 DD coil. That will work for now.

HH
Mike