Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT pro flaking out

Posted by Xray 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
AT pro flaking out
July 21, 2019 03:44AM
In the water or on land it just goes bezerk, signalling moving, standing still, near the ground or in the air. This happened 2 years ago so I got a new coil and the problem went away, now it seems like the exact same thing. Was doing it last week, now today. Was actually working normally for about half an hour, found some change then it started flaking. Shut it off and waited an hour and tried again, worse than ever. Now there were some approaching storms when these incidents happened, remotely possible that is the cause I am hoping. But after flaking the 2nd time today, I fired up my trusty Ace 400 and it didn't have any problems at all, of course I couldn't go out very far in the water with it and that sucked. Beach has been packed 3 days in a row, was packed all day today so much so that I was going to wait until the crowd cleared a bit in the evening to go out there. A heavy rain squall sent everyone running for cover, when it was over I had the beach to myself and I am positive I would have found some goodies, but the AT screwed me once again.

After some good years with it I am getting sick of this machine, I need something more dependable and will likely cut my losses on this thing and get an Equinox. Anyone else ever have these problems with the AT ? [Yes, I did remove my coil cover to make sure there was no foil wedged in there, it would act just that way if there was]

I might add, of course any detector can have problems, thats why I am not trashing the machine, it is a great machine when it is working properly. But it seems to me I am in a loop of having to invest $100+ at least every other year to keep it functioning and that is ludicrous. Also might add that I don't use it very often, don't use it at all on land only in calm, fresh water, probably less than 20 hours a season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2019 03:57AM by Xray.
Re: AT pro flaking out
July 21, 2019 04:58AM
Having used and using it mainly in the water may be your issue

I had one and the thing leaked and caused it to go bonkers. Had to send it in and get an new motherboard installed

needless to say I sold it directly after that and will never buy another one
July 21, 2019 05:54AM
I dunno, if it was internal water damage all along then the 1st coil swap would have done no good. Of course, 1st flake out might have been the coil, this one might be internal damage. Next day around here with no rain within 100 miles I am going to try it again to confirm or eliminate the electro interference possibility. No way to confirm the coil theory short of shelling out more $$ for a new coil.
July 21, 2019 07:53AM
Just to make it a little more confusing for you, keep in mind that coils can leak, too...usually at the strain relief...but sometimes through an abraded cable sheath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2019 08:04PM by Mike in CO.
July 21, 2019 10:36AM
If used only in water and then put away for a period of time and then doing the same for the times / hours used and then stored again it might be allowing damp to do it's thing?

Sounds as if you need to buy an Equinox? (or wait for the V)
July 21, 2019 12:19PM
Check with Calabash !! LOL
July 23, 2019 06:22AM
You probably did this, but since you didn't mention it I'll ask. Did you do a factory reset? If not turn the detector on holding the coil on a horizontal plane in front of you and keep holding the power button until you hear a double beep.

Coincidentally, the detector you mention cutting your losses and getting, the Nox, went squirrelly on me over the weekend after I changed the coil. Factory reset should have been the first thing I thought but instead I thought oh crap, is there something wrong with this sniper coil? I put the stock 11" back on and the problem was still there. Now I'm thinking this really sucks if this is a repair issue but I was hopeful a reset would solve the problem and it did.smiling smiley
July 24, 2019 03:50AM
Did try reset, its now worse than ever with no storms within 100 miles. I think its the coil [again] because it did the very same thing 2 years ago. I'm going to bite the bullet and try another coil, if it still flakes hopefully I'll be able to return it. Am going to get another water machine too, AT is great working properly but it has become undependable. Nearest beach to me is a 60 mile round trip so I really need my equipment to work properly.
July 24, 2019 04:25AM
Sorry to hear that, xray. Hope it works out for you.
July 26, 2019 08:29PM
Have confirmed that the coil was not the problem, must be the control box itself. I actually have a detecting store within driving distance [Serious Detecting], I drove out there with the intention of buying a new coil, he let me try it first and the unit was still flaking out as bad as ever. Not sure if I'm going to look into a repair or not, but a new water machine is for sure on my agenda.
July 29, 2019 09:29PM
Sent it in today, was told $40 flat fee for labor + parts - "+ parts" obviously might be the kicker.

So as of now I have no water machine, except for shallow wading with my Ace 400.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2019 09:30PM by Xray.
August 09, 2019 09:43PM
Had the repair done for around $180, included a new circuit board, battery cover and coil. Didn't request the coil but they said it was out of specs, so what the actual problem was, or combination of problems, is tough to determine. Seems to be working fine, going to put it to the test and dunk it tomorrow.

Line #Item NumberDescriptionQty OrderedQty Shipped 1 1100200 REPAIR ^ 1 12 1100600 AT PRO ( PM ) 1 13 9403200 BATT "AA" ALKALINE 4 44 1100600 REPAIR PCB & CALIBRATION 1 15 2267500 CASE ASSY AT-PRO US SPARE 1 16 2222400 COIL 8.5x11" DD AT 1 17 1100100 LABOR CHARGES ^ 1 18 1009500 SHIPPING AND HANDLING-DOMESTIC 1 19 1606600 COVER COIL 8.5 x 11" DD 1 110 2333300 ACCESSORY CLEVIS SCREW AND WASHERS 1 1
August 10, 2019 12:26AM
Dang that's not a bad price on repair. It's cheaper than buying a whole new machine the cost of the coil is almost that price.
August 10, 2019 02:33AM
Yeah thats what I figured, probably $20 to ship too and that was included