Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

original Conquistador with cleansweep

Posted by Picketwire 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
original Conquistador with cleansweep
August 07, 2019 01:10PM
i recently purchased an original Conquistador with the frequency switch on the bottom of the control housing. It worked fine with my 8" concentric coil after I tweeked the GB. However when I attached the clean sweep coil, the threshold went full loud and would not quiet down no matter what, even in discrimination and held in the air. The cleansweep works fine on my Mojave and Outlaw, the Mojave in either GB position. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Also, the seller said he replaced the broken frequency switch with a DPDT on/off/on switch and now it only works in two frequencies. Does anyone know if this is the right switch for the application? Thank you for your time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 10:36PM by Picketwire.
Re: original Conquistador with cleansweep
August 07, 2019 01:57PM
The steel spring cable strain relief is too far inside the coil connector and is shorting out your coil. Pull it back down away from the connector.

HH
Mike
August 07, 2019 02:21PM
Thank you. However, why would it work fine on the Mojave and Outlaw?
August 07, 2019 04:04PM
If you break the gb pot, it will do that on the ground but not in the air. Since it also does it in the air, that tells me its a short, and the most common short is that steel spring sliding up to far under the connector. The PC boards are very different between the old style lunch box designs and the newer surface mount umax board designs. Even the old cables are different than the new cables. so....

HH
Mike
August 07, 2019 08:31PM
This is not the old lunchbox design, it is in the micro max box. Again, if the cleansweep works in the Mojave and Outlaw, how could it be shorted out and if the control box is shorted, why does the 8"coil work?
August 08, 2019 01:35PM
sorry....you said you had the original Conquistador.

So did pulling the strain relief out of the coil connector fix your problem?

Mike
August 09, 2019 05:44PM
No, sir, it did not.
August 09, 2019 07:41PM
Sent you a PM.
Mike
August 25, 2019 10:01PM
Update: Conquistador started falsing bad with any coil. I took it apart and sprayed Detoxit d5 in the potentiometers and switches and blew them out with air. They looked like they had been cleaned with WD40 as there was a film on them. When done, the falsing stopped, the Cleansweep worked and I was one happy camper. It still has only two out of three frequencies but I can live with that.