Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fine tuning the CZ-3

Posted by chicoryman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fine tuning the CZ-3
August 19, 2008 03:46AM
Hi Dan, I read all the recent posts about the CZ-3 & serial numbers etc. I also read a lot of reviews on detectors before I decided to buy a used CZ-3 with serl."1121" & 8" coil early this spring. Put it on lay a way for 4 months & paid something on it every week till I brought it home in June. Can't say I haven't had good luck with it. Over $35 in clad, 3 IH pennys,12 merc dimes, a few rings all silver and a 1852 L.Cent. Plus a lot of the normal trash items.
Most all of the finds were shallow with the deepest maybe say 5-7". I've tried it on the beach, both in wet & dry sand with out much success. So I was wondering if I should sent it off somewhere to be re-tuned. After reading all your reports on the CZ-3 & that of others I don't think I'm getting the depth that most other owners report. If you think it could do me some good just e-mail me places you suggest to send it. Thank you in advance for all the good things you do to promote our hobby & for the help & time you give to so many of us in the field. Thanks again. Chicoryman
Re: Fine tuning the CZ-3
August 19, 2008 10:30AM
First,

Try an outdoor air-test with a dime. Settings:

Disc. = '0' (not auto-tune)
Sens. = '5'
Gnd Bal = '10'
Volume = '10'
Mode = 'enhance'

Keep the coil away from ALL metal objects. Do NOT place the dime on the ground. Keep the dime parallel (not tilted) to the coil...... wave the dime in front of the coil.....and report how far the unit will detect the dime. Should be around 11" (+/-) 1".
August 21, 2008 02:38AM
Hi Tom. Thanks for the quick response. I did the dime test as you suggested. At 7" solid sound, 8'-8 1/2" weaker but still solid most passes of the dime, at 9" it started to chirp & break up. Any further away & I lose it compleatly. I guess I should be happy for the depth I'm getting. I'll just keep learning the CZ-3 as best I can & see what comes my way. Thanks again for your expertise & help. Chicoryman in NH
August 21, 2008 12:17PM
What's the first four digits in your serial number??????
August 21, 2008 02:01PM
My S/N is 11210119 Chicoryman
August 23, 2008 11:17AM
This is the California Fisher serial number.... and should be a 'lifetime' unit.
August 24, 2008 12:59PM
Hi ho Tom. Again thanks for the quick reply! Are you saying the Calf. units have "lifetime warranties" and if I'm not happy with the performce of my cz-3 I can contact Fisher in TX to have them check it out? Chicoryman
August 24, 2008 01:28PM
Nearly all California Fisher CZ's have a lifetime warranty; HOWEVER, check your warranty card (you must be orig owner) and see what type it is.

Yes, First Texas is now covering the Fisher warranty issues. Hopefully, you will not have to 'exercise' this option.