Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hit a lead hotspot today

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hit a lead hotspot today
August 26, 2019 12:32AM
Hit a new area at the 1850's fort sight today and managed to find a pouch full of lead. Normally the bullets we find are dropped, today, almost all looked fired. I was about 2000 feet or so from where the fort originally stood, from what I've read about this place, no skirmishes took place near the fort. My buddy and I think it may have been the firing range, but, we have no idea. I was surprised to dig some Confederate bullets mixed in with the other lead, not sure what's going on there, but, I'll take it. After almost 6 hours of digging nothing but lead and aluminum, I quit digging the 10-11 numbers because most turned out to be the small lead balls. I did managed several pewter trouser buttons from a different spot right before I called it a day.

I was running the Nox 800 with these settings:

Park 1

Recovery speed 4

Sens 24

Iron bias 0

2 tones

Tone break set at -9 to +9

Manual GB

Re: Hit a lead hotspot today
August 26, 2019 01:20AM
Nice!
August 26, 2019 03:12AM
NICE hunt, Dan!!! Love those digs!

Steve
August 26, 2019 03:22AM
steveg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NICE hunt, Dan!!! Love those digs!
>
> Steve

Thanks again Steve, in regards to the bullet ID from the FM post, the far right bullet on the 2nd row. The closest bullet I could find was a Williams Cleaner type 3. The base appears to be smaller than a true Williams Cleaner.
August 26, 2019 04:30AM
Interesting; yes, a "Cleaner" makes some sense, as I look at it. Looks like a great hunt, to me!

Super!

Steve
OBN
August 26, 2019 03:24PM
Now that's a lot of Lead!

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
August 26, 2019 06:07PM
Congrats on a super hunt!thumbs down
August 27, 2019 01:59PM
Nice digs---remember each fired bullet represents a conscious act by a guy many years ago.What was he thinking at the time??
August 27, 2019 07:39PM
doc holiday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice digs---remember each fired bullet represents
> a conscious act by a guy many years ago.What was h
> e thinking at the time??

My buddy and I discussed that every time we go out there. How old the guy was, where they were from and what they thought about being out in the middle of the desert. I never really understood the appeal to relic hunting until we started finding things that were directly linked to individuals on a personal level. I completely understand it now :-)
August 28, 2019 04:13PM
Love the piles of vintage lead!!

We have a spot that one can dig endless numbers of 3-ringers, giant brass shells and usually a few buttons. No coins have come from this spot [yet]. Not a single belt plate, bit boss, or breast plate has come from this site yet either....hopefully one of these days we'll dig one.