Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got out with Cal Cobra for some action ....

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got out with Cal Cobra for some action ....
August 29, 2019 12:02AM
Got out with the famous Cal Cobra for some pounding of some "back-pocket" sites.

The first photos are of a place where we have thus far pulled 4 coins that we consider "period" (ie.: not counting a nuisance merc. or wheatie or clad or whatever). This trip brought the total to four period coins from this site. With the addition of this Spanish 2 reale and Britannia coin.

The 2 reale date is indiscernible. But I have narrowed it down , via a few faint letters, that it's a Ferdinand VII type. Which would hone down the date range to 1808 to 1822. The Britannia copper is also indiscernible date. But I have narrowed down the type , and studying the visible detail, I've determined it's 1806. (this type only made in '06 and '07). Also shown is the various age-indicator doohickies. Like green blacksmithed copper, pistol ball, underwear button, etc....

The last two pix are of small phoenix button & a Mexican 2 reale also found on this trip, at a different site. Date also indiscernible .

Ok , let's see if cal cobra throws in his show & tell from the hunts smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2019 12:04AM by Tom_in_CA.
OBN
Re: Got out with Cal Cobra for some action ....
August 29, 2019 01:01AM
Looks like a great time to me!

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
August 29, 2019 01:18AM
Wow, some really, really cool stuff there, Tom!

Congratulations on what had to be a GREAT time! You guys are really amazing, when it comes to researching and finding these sites...WOW!!

Steve
August 29, 2019 03:34AM
Outstanding Tom!

Terrific finds, especially the Britannia coin. That’s a good copper size coin, I’ve never seen one of these dug on West Coast.

Congratulations!
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2019 03:34AM by Apolonio (CA).
August 29, 2019 02:21PM
Those are some nice finds, congrats Tom!
August 30, 2019 04:48AM
Nice finds Tom and great photo display. I have to find a way to attach a tracker to your pickup or maybe in this case to Brian's Toyota.thumbs down. What picture hosting site are you using.?
El
August 30, 2019 10:05AM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .... What pic
> ture hosting site are you using.?
> El

Hey there El, good to hear from you. I actually just used the kinzli forum site (since I posted it there too), and just lifted the link addresses from there. Was that ok to do ?
August 30, 2019 10:50AM
Nice finds from your back pocket site.
August 30, 2019 12:16PM
Wow! You guys find the goods...
August 30, 2019 12:31PM
Very impressive finds Tom, thanks for posting.
August 30, 2019 01:48PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Elbert Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > .... What pic
> > ture hosting site are you using.?
> > El
>
>
> Hey there El, good to hear from you. I actually j
> ust used the kinzli forum site (since I posted it
> there too), and just lifted the link addresses fro
> m there. Was that ok to do ?

Good idea. Worked great. Ok Brian lets see yours.
August 30, 2019 04:11PM
Elbert Wrote:
> Ok Brian lets see yours.....

Yes Brian, let's see your period coins from the sites ! drinking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

In all seriousness : At the site with the Mexican reale, Brian just wasn't getting dialed in. Not only didn't get any period coins or buttons, but I think had only a single period target.

But at the 2nd site (where I got the Spanish reale and the Britannia), his Nox 800 spanked me on target count. For some reason, my mighty Explorer II was having problems with the soil. Dunno if there was some radio interference, or mineral/moisture content factor ........ or what. At vast portions of the site I was getting lots of static. Strange because normally the Exp. II works flawlessly at this site. But somehow I made it over 2 coins . Aside from those, Brian's age-indicator-period target count was higher. Eg.: rimfire shells, green copper, doohickies, etc..... All of which could easily have been a period coin.

The site's usage (at least for the time-frame we want coins from) is the 1810's to the 1850's.
August 30, 2019 07:24PM
Great finds.
August 30, 2019 11:19PM
Wow Tom nice, very nice going... I have been researching my new area and should have some actual good sites for this fall.

Glad to see your research and all is still paying off!

Congrats-Peter