Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question? CZ 21

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question? CZ 21
August 30, 2019 10:01PM
The Nox comes with a preset ground balance and works well in the brackish water I am in. How do you balance a cz 21 for water hunting?
Re: Question? CZ 21
August 30, 2019 10:36PM
On another forum, Caspar 2 - a very experience beach hunter wrote this about CZ21 GB

Ive been using CZ21s for yrs - never ever ground balance - whether in New england waters or down south or in Caribean
never used that pumping method - my sensitivity I run from 7 to 10 and ground I set at 5
I just place coil to the soil and turn on and go - and I do just great
[www.treasurenet.com]

[www.treasurenet.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
YOu can GB it to the creek bottom or just set it on preset.
August 30, 2019 10:50PM
Like Lytle, I have never really worried about it, and have always gotten excellent depth with the machine.
August 30, 2019 10:53PM
It is pretty easy. I always GB mine when hunting the wet salt sand, and then re-ground if I head into the water or up into the dry sand.

Use the bobbing method all the time...takes about 15-20 seconds.

Remember Cal...CZ 20's and CZ21's are always in 'salt mode' so they will not be as sensitive to smaller gold like the Nox.

BUT....at least in my case with the 2 CZ20's I had for over 20 years....NEVER LEAKED and they can take a major beating.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2019 10:56PM by therover61.
August 30, 2019 10:56PM
Thanks!
August 31, 2019 12:33AM
If you have your excal still I wouldn't pay the price for a cz21 personally.
Unless you found one for a great deal I also think you will miss the double D when you start using the cz21.
But when I had mine never GB'ed it just like my Minelabs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 12:33AM by GreenMeanie.
August 31, 2019 01:06AM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have your excal still I wouldn't pay the pr
> ice for a cz21 personally.
> Unless you found one for a great deal I also think
> you will miss the double D when you start using th
> e cz21.
> But when I had mine never GB'ed it just like my Mi
> nelabs.

I agree 1000%. If you have an Excal, no need for a CZ. I just like using CZ's the best because I learned it and feel the most comfortable using it. I like concentric coils better and manual GB.

The Excal is one hell of a detector once you learn it.

I do think the CZ is built better and easier to hip mount. My CZ20's are the older model with the bigger knobs and a bit better built in my opinion, than the CZ21. Since I don't use the pinpoint button when beach hunting, I siliconed over them as they are a potential leak spot if not taken care of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 01:09AM by therover61.
August 31, 2019 08:03AM
The CZ units were built like tanks. And just about as heavy.
August 31, 2019 11:08AM
The reason why Casper says he doesn't ground balance is because a setting of 5 is perfect for most situations. It's the same with my machine. Even if I did go through the procedure each time, it would always end up at 5 so that's where I leave it. I'm sure there must be places where you might have to set it more pos or neg but I haven't run into any. It's easy to check by putting it in Autotune, bobbing the coil over the ground and setting the knob where it is quietest.

I always run my sensitivity at 10 for max depth.

Be careful with the volume. It can damage your ear drums.

The headphones were so tight and painful on my head that I had to tape a strip of fiberglass over the crosspiece to help spread them apart a little. Maybe they have improved them since then.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 11:23AM by Badger in NH.
August 31, 2019 01:11PM
Badger is right you should really test it where you are going to hunt.
I hunt in New England so not GB'ing here might not work for you down there.

Also BADGER we need you to start making videos and replace Mike since he is MIA LOL.

Badger in NH Wrote:
> The reason why Casper says he doesn't ground balan
> ce is because a setting of 5 is perfect for most s
> ituations. It's the same with my machine. Even if
> I did go through the procedure each time, it would
> always end up at 5 so that's where I leave it. I'm
> sure there must be places where you might have to
> set it more pos or neg but I haven't run into any.
> It's easy to check by putting it in Autotune, bobb
> ing the coil over the ground and setting the knob
> where it is quietest.
>
> I always run my sensitivity at 10 for max depth.
>
> Be careful with the volume. It can damage your ear
> drums.
>
> The headphones were so tight and painful on my hea
> d that I had to tape a strip of fiberglass over th
> e crosspiece to help spread them apart a little. M
> aybe they have improved them since then.
>
> .
August 31, 2019 01:17PM
I had a CZ2O and CZ21, and my CZ20 was at least 1" to 1.5" hotter. Maybe I had a bad CZ21? I just Bobbed it like all CZs.
August 31, 2019 01:32PM
What is a good price on one?
August 31, 2019 01:43PM
For me I wouldn't be buying one at the NEW price they want.
I would probably post for a used one and go from there. There are decent deals on the CZ 20's out there.

calabash digger Wrote:
> What is a good price on one?
August 31, 2019 02:00PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> Also BADGER we need you to start making videos and
> replace Mike since he is MIA LOL.

Yeah, Mike is going through some life changes. He lost a ton of weight, bought a sports car and now he's thinking of getting a motorcycle. Summers are always slow for beach finds around here. I expect he'll be back out there making videos soon but you never know.

I'd like to create some videos but I don't think I have the personality for it. It's also very time consuming. It's funny watching Mike when he's recording. He looks like he's talking to himself.

Do you ever hunt NH beaches? Have we met before?
August 31, 2019 02:21PM
...Like others here, I too had a 'CZ-20' and liked a few aspects of it compared directly to an 'Excalibur'

* It got copper euro coins - Excal didn't
* It was easier to locate coins after retrieving them to the surface as it penetrated the 'halo' quicker than the Excalibur
* It was also able to signal on the green copper corrosion that fell off copper coins onto the sand or back into the holes - Excalibur couldn't come close to this (it was just a momentary reaction and faded away in milliseconds)
* It had around 45hrs battery life except 4 x 9Volts were 'expensive!'
* Pinpointing was super sharp
* Yes, it was difficult to discern if 'properly' GB'd as it was such a quiet detector.
* It gave off 'occasional' high tone sounds for no apparent reason - both in the water and out

Des D

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 02:24PM by Des D.
August 31, 2019 02:54PM
I would have loved a CZ20/21 designed for wet sand hunting. Get rid of the heavy housing and make it super light. Give it the ability to change coils and headphones and it could easily have been the number one beach detector for the last two decades.

It's a little late for that now with the Tarsacci available and the Impulse on the way.
August 31, 2019 02:59PM
No I only drove out and hunted hampton once and our two sons spent most of the day in the arcade.
I keep telling my wife lets move out there but our jobs just won't allow it sad smiley

Badger in NH Wrote:
> GreenMeanie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Also BADGER we need you to start making videos a
> nd
> > replace Mike since he is MIA LOL.
>
>
> Yeah, Mike is going through some life changes. He
> lost a ton of weight, bought a sports car and now
> he's thinking of getting a motorcycle. Summers are
> always slow for beach finds around here. I expect
> he'll be back out there making videos soon but you
> never know.
>
> I'd like to create some videos but I don't think I
> have the personality for it. It's also very time c
> onsuming. It's funny watching Mike when he's recor
> ding. He looks like he's talking to himself.
>
> Do you ever hunt NH beaches? Have we met before?
August 31, 2019 04:11PM
CZ 6a - $250 used or so - beautiful wet beach - and pretty splashproof.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
August 31, 2019 04:26PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> I would have loved a CZ20/21 designed for wet sand
> hunting.

They had one...it's called the CZ6a ! HA !

Seriously though. I have straight shafts designed with the mount all the way at the end of the shaft so the control box is under the elbow. Balanced very well with any coil (I use the 8 inch coil most of the time and with that coil on, it's balanced perfect). I tone hunt so no need to look at a meter.

Can use any headphones I want, change coils and with the Garrett Z-Link system, can go wireless ( well, at least have the shaft and control box separate from the headphone wire, so I can lay the shaft down and not be attached).

CZ6a is a really good wet sand and dry sand hunter since I can switch back from salt mode to normal mode when going from wet to dry. Normal mode has more sensitivity to small, lower conductive targets than salt mode, which makes the 6a a bit stronger in the dry than the CZ20/21. Being sealed up with no speaker gives it more protection than the other land CZ's and the analog design with the knobs makes it easier to fine tune.

CZ6a's are pretty hard to find though and when one comes up for sale, they get snatched up pretty quick. Sellers of them are very reasonable in offer price too...between $300-$325 is a very good deal in my book if they haven't been abused.

Old tech but they still work great in all aspects of hunting except of course, underwater !
August 31, 2019 05:49PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> CZ 6a - $250 used or so - beautiful wet beach - an
> d pretty splashproof.

I'm sure it worked great but so old fashioned and probably a bit top heavy by the looks of it. They should have upgraded the design and kept the CZ platform going. The meter isn't even necessary. Three tone ID is all you need.
August 31, 2019 05:55PM
therover61 Wrote:
> Badger in NH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would have loved a CZ20/21 designed for wet sa
> nd
> > hunting.
>
> They had one...it's called the CZ6a ! HA !
>
> Seriously though. I have straight shafts designed
> with the mount all the way at the end of the shaft
> so the control box is under the elbow. Balanced ve
> ry well with any coil (I use the 8 inch coil most
> of the time and with that coil on, it's balanced p
> erfect). I tone hunt so no need to look at a meter.

That would be the proper way to design it. Who needs the silly meter? It doesn't need the speaker either.

I tried mounting the CZ20 under the elbow. I think it was you who told me how to do it. I tried it for a while and it was way too heavy that way. So I went back to hip mounting. I rarely use the CZ20 anymore now that I have the Tarsacci and Equinox.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 06:04PM by Badger in NH.
August 31, 2019 06:59PM
Badger in NH Wrote:

>
> I tried mounting the CZ20 under the elbow. I think
> it was you who told me how to do it. I tried it fo
> r a while and it was way too heavy that way. So I
> went back to hip mounting. I rarely use the CZ20 a
> nymore now that I have the Tarsacci and Equinox.
>
> .
Yeah..that CZ20 is a bear.

I agree the newer models have features that the older ones don't. Older ones do seem better made and can stand the punishment of the salt water beach environment a lot more in my opinion.

Tarsacci looks very interesting.
September 01, 2019 12:06PM
I have two CZ21s that have been basically retired since getting my hands on an Equinox 600. I still love the CZ20/21s though because they are the toughest metal detectors that we have used for our style of metal detecting and can take a lot of abuse before springing a leak. My Equinox 600 lasted less than a year of light use before leaking behind the display and now that it's back at Minelab for warranty replacement, the CZ21 is being used again....that said, we leave our ground balance at 5 and noticed with various machines over the years that it does not matter where the GB setting is at for our beaches.
September 01, 2019 12:26PM
The CZ20 is every bit as deep as the Equinox. Even deeper in some cases. It just needs to be light weight. They could easily make a modern CZ beach machine that weighs 3 pounds. Why they never did is beyond me.
September 01, 2019 03:06PM
Because it’s a dive machine...250’. People tend to forget that. 250’..... that’s around 100lbs of pressure.....try that with an iPhone. That’s likely why the Xcal is still around too. They could do a wader much like ML did with the Nox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2019 03:07PM by dewcon4414.
September 01, 2019 03:21PM
100ft = 44PSI

Let's hope the AQ Impulse is Revolutionary..... and starts a new platform Generation.....that'll eventually (through technological advancements)….. start to replace and phase-out the CZ platform.
September 01, 2019 04:40PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Because it’s a dive machine...250’. People tend t
> o forget that. 250’..... that’s around 100lbs of
> pressure.....try that with an iPhone. That’s like
> ly why the Xcal is still around too. They could
> do a wader much like ML did with the Nox.

"I'd bet you a dollar to a cent that the very next machine "ML" will do after the "Vanquish", will be a New "Excalibur?"
September 01, 2019 05:09PM
I like the way all these new machines are headed....but TID will need to catch up. We are INCHING along. Not a dirt hunter any more but I have to think those grass flaps are getting bigger lol.
September 01, 2019 07:42PM
What good is TID on the beach? All we need is three tones. Keep it simple.
September 01, 2019 08:48PM
Let me think 27” on a gold ring MAYBE.....in the oatmeal I’d really like to k ow that ain’t iron lol