Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Explorer II tech question please :

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Explorer II tech question please :
August 31, 2019 06:57PM
Hey gang, for any of you who've had any of the Explorer incarnations (XS, II, SE, etrac, etc....) you know that one of the downsides is that they could often-time develop stubborn-ness to power up. You would have to "coax" the battery pack to make better contact with the prongs. Eg.: by licking the contact points of the battery, to repeated pushes against the spring loaded contacts, etc... And FINALLY it would power up. Uuugghhh.

Well I have an Exp. II here, that I know is perfectly functional , yet ..... it's not coming to life. I can hear a "click click", and a flicker on the screen with each attempt. But .... won't turn on.

Is there anyone with some tips on how to get the power flowing and machine powered on ??

I can't imagine that taking the machine apart, and tugging on the springs (to get them to protude further) will help. Since it *already* has play in the springs, where I already need to push it in to get the battery door closed. So it's not as if the battery and springs aren't making contact. Is there any other things that might be causing it not to power up ? I've tried multiple different battery packs as well.
Re: Explorer II tech question please :
August 31, 2019 07:23PM
Could be 2 things. First,try rubbing the battery pack contacts with a rubber eraser. That should remove any light corrosion. If that don't work,then perhaps your 'Power' membrane touch pad isn't working and you might have to get one of those replacement membrane touch pad and meter overlays.

Membrane touchpad overlay replacement how-to video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 07:44PM by straker.
August 31, 2019 07:56PM
I had an explorer II that would only power on using the AA pack couldn't get it work with either of my rechargeable batteries. Traded it in on a SE.
August 31, 2019 08:40PM
"? Sounds like ?" the front panel has gone on the 'fritz?'

There are two opposing 'buttons' connectors underneath the raised button areas - contact has broken?

Or, the internal 'plastic dark orange color' plastic ribbon that connects to the board has failed?

You might need to find a new front panel complete with plastic ribbon connector?
August 31, 2019 08:46PM
straker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could be 2 things. First,try rubbing the battery
> pack contacts with a rubber eraser. That should r
> emove any light corrosion. If that don't work,the
> n perhaps your 'Power' membrane touch pad isn't wo
> rking and you might have to get one of those repla
> cement membrane touch pad and meter overlays.
>
> Membrane t
> ouchpad overlay replacement how-to video

Straker : BINGO ! That is an excellent link. That guy should be given a medal for making that video. And I thank you very much for the link.

Cleaning the contact points did not do diddly squat to bring it to life. So I'm confident that the new-face-plate control panel will do the trick. Thanx !
August 31, 2019 08:47PM
Des D Wrote:
> "? Sounds like ?" the front panel has gone on the
> 'fritz?'
>
> There are two opposing 'buttons' connectors undern
> eath the raised button areas - contact has broken?
>
> Or, the internal 'plastic dark orange color' plast
> ic ribbon that connects to the board has failed?
>
> You might need to find a new front panel complete
> with plastic ribbon connector?

Yes, I'm inclined to think this is the issue. And thanx to straker, I'm on the track to ordering the parts.

thanx guys !!
August 31, 2019 10:56PM
Abenson Wrote:
> I had an explorer II that would only power on usin
> g the AA pack couldn't get it work with either of
> my rechargeable batteries. Traded it in on a SE.

Yes, the factory nicads were wimpy. I found myself reaching for the spare AA alkaline pack a lot. The "RnB" after-market rechargeable pack solved that problem !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 10:57PM by Tom_in_CA.