Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F-75 Funeral

Posted by Indiana Heath 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F-75 Funeral
August 21, 2008 02:13AM
After taking out over 1000 relics with my F-75 from my relic hole that the Explorer could not find, my finds now are few and far between. However I sold the F-75 because I was only comfortable with it in heavy iron. And THE ONLY WAY that happened was from the instructions from Tom on how to use it that way. Those kind of instructions did not come in the manual and I would never have figured it out myself. I have tried using this out of the iron and all I get is a headache. I know it is because I do not know how to use it...without proper instruction on using a machine of this caliber it is useless to the average dectorist. If there was a better manual or a good DVD on how to use it I would probably still have mine. I am sure this is a super detector, but if you cant handle it, then it becomes a piece of JUNK. I enjoy my CZ3D,Gold Bug 2 and Excal 2 because I know how to use them. I do not feel I am alone on my assesment of the F-75 as I read about others who are in the same boat. A detector of this caliber needs a better manual and a good DVD instructional. For those of you who are doing well with your F-75 my hat is off to you. Detecting is suppose to be fun and I could not enjoy my hunts with this machine other than picking out relics in high iron. Now that most of my hunting will not be in that extreme of conditions it was time for a proper burial of the F-75.
Re: F-75 Funeral
August 21, 2008 03:10AM
Too bad as I feel the F75 does all hunting exteremly well except beaches!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 21, 2008 05:26AM
I Agree! The F75 is unbeatable in iron and seperation of targets. It also has great depth but in a city park the 75 becomes a average detector. Almost everytime I took it to a big city park the trip turned into a nightmare as the machine just went crazy with the EMI interference. Now with the 3D at a city park EMI is not a problem. Put a FZ12 on your 3D and run your sens at 4.5 and disc at iron and go real slow and you may be shocked at the depth. You almost feel like your cheating when your using a 3D! I can go to any park in the area that I live in and find deep coins (10-12) with the 3D and I really don't care who or what machine has detected the area. The 3D is a deep coin/conductor finder that's is in it's element when working a older cleaned out city park and it's performance at the beach is also top notch.

Of course this is just my opinion and opinions vary!

Ray
August 21, 2008 12:45PM
Indiana Heath..... I completely understand. I have had MANY folks 'bail' on their F-75's & T-2's for the exact same reasons. One particular day I took two F-75's (I ALWAYS have a back-up... just in case!!!)..... to six different parks ... in two different towns.... and the EMI was so severe that BOTH F-75's were rendered 'useless'. ((( One of the parks... the two F-75's would function with some stability when Sens was adjusted down to '34' and Disc was on '20'......,,,,,, but why subject yourself to this reduced performance level .. when you can simply use a CZ that'll present zero issues, is less fatiguing, and will have much better performance than the F-75 at severely reduced settings ))). Then........... there are other days..... where the F-75 will 'trump' all others. Yes, ESPECIALLY in iron infested areas. This is exactly why I can NOT live without one.

Yes, a special set of instructions (AND UNDERSTANDINGS) should be mandatory & included with these types of units...... as most owners WILL have problems understanding/with the unit...... as verified by the volume of e-mails I receive.

Brad, THANKS for your honesty.... and MOST importantly,,,, your bravery to PUBLICALLY post your observations and OWNERSHIP CYCLE.

Tom
Amen...
August 21, 2008 01:34PM
Totally agree as it pertains to newbies and oldbies alike..New mames and facets are entering the world of detecting and a much more concise manual explaining each facet and what it does along with a long Video doing the same thing.
When I mention Video sure don't want to watch a hunt going on as it like watching a guy eat a steak..Forget the hunt video's and get into the facets and explain each facet and what they do as it will lead with field time guys and gals that know how to operate a particuliar unit...and less bashing and selling of excellent detectors...
August 22, 2008 03:20AM
hi tom!
i just got mine and are you telling me that the thing may be useless in city parks?..i realize that emi may be a critical issue,however if what you indicate is true,and you have explained that it is,then what may i ask wre the designers thinking when they designed this detector that way?..granted i "need" to learn the detector,but it sounds like i got "two strikes" on me even before i get the batter's box!..my intention IS to use it in "old " parks and other heavily used "public" areas to find what was left behind!..basically if i have to "strangle" the power of the detector then i am just handicapping myself,and should have purchased the cz-3d instead?..(w.t.f!)

regards!
j.t.
Is the F-70 as bad with the 6.5 coil ???
August 22, 2008 04:02AM
Seems like I read some where that the F-70 was not as bad.
HH...BJ
August 22, 2008 04:47AM
Ray, what is a 3D? Probably a dumb question, but I just wondered.
August 22, 2008 12:28PM
He is talking about the Fisher CZ-3D metal detector.....;o)
August 22, 2008 12:43PM
Thanks Bill_S.
August 23, 2008 11:57AM
The areas you hunt will dictate whether or not the unit will be stable. AND ,,,, results may differ from day-to-day. Start hunting the area with the detector set up in a mild fashion.... such as Disc '6' and Sens at '40'... and NOT in the 'JE' mode. If it is determined that no EMI is encountered...... start raising the Sens to 'as high as allowable'.

Remember..... with the coil in the air, you are more likely to acquire some EMI. If you have some EMI, you can 'back off' of the Sens... OR.... try sweeping the coil on the ground.... and .... chances are....the EMI may go away whilst sweeping coil.

There are several posts in previous threads (below) where this topic is covered in MUCH greater detail.

Tom
August 24, 2008 03:37AM
thanks for the insightful response!..this is precisely what i have in mind when i finally begin the "learning curve!"..i have read many posts regarding this isuue,however i must confess i got the distinct impression after reading your latest post on "f-75 funeral" that experiencing "emi" was commonplce EVERYWHERE YOU hunted with the detector,hence MY response!..it IS good to know that like just about all detectors,one CAN lowerthe "gain",and hopefully eliminate the interference!..now ,i believe i have a "fighting chance" to experience this
"crackerjack" of a coin hunter!..tom!..as you are aware,"poer lines"are everywhere!.is the 75 always affected by them?..or just someyimes,depending on the locale?..thanks!

regards!
j.t.
August 24, 2008 01:32PM
Yes, powerlines are everywhere..... and the worst offenders are the buried ones. In my experiences.... powerlines that have been 'freshly' rained on...... will cause the least EMI..... as the Florida ocean 'salts' are washed off.

Leaking powerlines can also cause problems.

In most cases......... it's a hit-or-miss situation,,,,, but your detector provides the final say-so.
August 25, 2008 02:32AM
tom!
in YOUR experience with the f-75,what "source" has been the 'worst" offender with regard to "60 cycle" OR any other interference you have encountered in your hunting travels?....thanks for your input!..

j.t.
August 25, 2008 08:37AM
Buried power lines have been my #1 worst EMI source; ....... followed by above-ground 'dry' powerlines.
August 26, 2008 12:54AM
thanks tom!..does this happen ALL the time?.or just once in a while?..just curious so as to get a general idea of what to expect!

regards!
j.t.
August 26, 2008 11:25AM
Semi-frequently..... and unpredictable. I'd say about 10% of the sites are completely undetectable.... due to excessive EMI. And I'd also say that there is approx 60% chance of having some EMI at all other sites....(but still huntable).
August 27, 2008 01:52AM
tom!
really appreciate the insight!..sounds like the "60 cycle" interference will still be "manageable" at most sites!..what a relief!..i am reassured by yourself
AND others stating that even with "gain" reduced,and perhaps a "frequency" change,the 75 can still hunt deep and effectively!..tom!.have you determined in your experience that the 6" coil is LESS affected by "emi?"
August 28, 2008 12:58AM
I find VERY little difference IRT EMI with small coil vs. standard coil..... but I would have to give a VERY slight edge to the smaller coil..... maybe 2%.

Tom
August 28, 2008 02:08AM
tom!
thanks for the input!..
September 03, 2008 06:50PM
Ok, I'm really wondering why everybody is talking about the F75 like its their fault that this machine cannot handle EMI. Somebody needs to put pressure on Fisher to recall these machines and put better shielding in them. I work with a bunch of Engineers and one of these gentleman explained to me that thin copper shielding (like a copper tape) inside of the box and all of the possible leak points (like screw holes) being sealed with aluminum filled epoxy, would do away with most, if not all of the EMI problems. He designs flight hardware for NASA, so I think he knows what he's talking about. He went onto suggest that the box could be rebuilt out of thin aluminum and it would be probably an easier fix. However, I know that won't work for Fisher because of what it would cost to machine the boxes and it would invariably add to the weight. He also advised me that the designer may have designed a wonderful machine, but its other people that take the design and turn it into reality and cost vs. profit margins being what they are they might have felt that a less expensive substitution was fine, it would still do the job right? So, as far as I'm concerned don't beat yourself up if the machine isn't functioning correctly, say something to the manufacturer and ask just how you're supposed to set it up and get the most use out of it, if the information in the manual hasn't helped. Afterall, you paid good money for this unit, right?
September 03, 2008 09:10PM
Yes, I paid good money, but it is now history for me. I am not sending it back in or waiting for them to come up with a solution...too many areas to hunt with too little time. I repalced that unit with a MINELAB Sov GT. I am back to getting good targets in heavy iron...not at the rate the F-75 might have gotten if working right, but i am happy now and do not have to buy aspririn after using the F-75 for a few minutes. If they come up with a better unit that is working smoothly, I will get one.
CZ-3D
Excal 2
Sov Gt
September 03, 2008 09:45PM
My last statement wasn't meant to say that I disagreeed with what you did, it was more a call to the masses kind of thing. I too got rid of my F75 for largely the same reason you did. I just wish these self appointed shills would stop hyping something that has been clearly produced to maximize profit without an acceptable level of quality control.
September 03, 2008 10:32PM
wlwalters...
I am no engineer, though I work with them on a daily basis (I am a metal fabricator)...but is there a chance (and someone may get a little wealthier from this idea) that the dust coats they have for the screen housing and the detectors "box" could be made from some soft material or be lined with some material that rids the EMI...maybe even thin sleeves sewed on the dust coats that are filled with extremely small copper beads may work,,,or some kind of movable hinged or even sturdy copper protection that, once again, could be added to a dust cover and "clipped on" easily somehow, for areas with heavy EMI problems??? Tom?

-Mike
September 04, 2008 12:37AM
FTP is quite aware of the EMI issue,,,,, I just simply have no idea as to what they will do (maybe nothing) about it. It would hurt to see a "trade-off" by virtue of 'ridding' the EMI.... in turn,,,, losing it's extreme unmasking capabilities. Maybe this needn't be the case. I would be dismayed if this was the 'only' form of resolution.

And then there are FTP fears of "being blasted" if they make a 'in-flight' course correction...... and 'improve' .... with a new-Gen F-75. The older generation F-75 folks would be hurt. Yes,,,,,,,,,, I know......... there will always be 'complainers',,,, yet, it is prudent to mitigate this .... if possible.

All-in-All,,,,,, the F-75 has TOO many superior qualities ...... and should never be buried. Yes, some bugs may need to be worked out...... but certainly NOT enough to rid the platform. We've COME TOO FAR!!! I know..... there are times when folks want to wrap it around a tree,,,,, but if you can stick with it.... adapt to it's quirks.... and press forward,,,,, you'll find it to be a critical tool in your inventory.

Tom