Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hunting Crawl Spaces

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hunting Crawl Spaces
June 20, 2011 11:55AM
Any thought on how productive it would be to hunt a crawl space. After getting permission to hunt a yard I continued to talk to the little old lady and she told me about how she remembered a coin being dropped long ago in the house and it fell between the gaps in the floor boards and there was no way to get it out. Since that time her house(built in 1909) got a new foundation that included a foot and a half high crawl space. Thinking back on some of the old cabin sites I have hunted it always seemed the best spot is between the foundation stones. Would it even be possible to use my F70 under a house? EMI is a problem when turning on the machine in my house so how would it do under a house? Would coins sink as deep under a house or would they be very shallow? Would a shallow coin ring out clearly considering I am going to be within 2' of the wiring, air vents, etc just above me?
Re: Hunting Crawl Spaces
June 20, 2011 12:34PM
First and foremost....watch out for the critters.

I would think wiring, electrical currents, underground piping would indeed be a problem but only one way to find out.

I feel the elements have a lot to do with coins sinking and feel any goodies would be shallow as the area is not subject to the elements.

Only guessing on my part but have read stories where its been done with minimal success so keep us posted...
June 20, 2011 02:07PM
For the majority of cases............targets hardly sink underneath a house; however, , , in most cases.....the iron/nail content is excessive.
June 20, 2011 03:51PM
I hunt a lot of old homes..... many were very poor people with little and watched a penny so you dont often find much. Rarely are those crawl spaced used unlike a yard so its going to be slimmmm pickin if you get past iron and EMI. Hey... but as they say even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion. Let us know how it goes... if you find lots ill turn tunnel mole.

Dew
June 20, 2011 10:55PM
I have been under many a crawl spaces pooring footings, replacing beams and joists. Very rarely do I see a clean one. There are all sorts of pipe cutoffs, wire, pieces of iron and you name it. Not a comfortable place to be. Not only that but usually there is a subfloor under the floor or the floor boards are tongue and groove...not much can get through except dust. I'd pass on that area to detect.
June 21, 2011 04:48AM
Look up 'wolf spider bite' pictures.............in Google Images. You'll think twice about crawl spaces. I treated these in the military...very nasty.
June 21, 2011 10:53AM
Yes Wolf spiders. I saw one the other day, if a circle was drawn around the tip of his legs the diameter would measure 2-1/2 inches. They are stalking spiders and don't build a web to catch their pray. I heard of wolfs being kept as pets and being handeled, hafta pass on that. I've been bitten by many crawleys and maybe I'm not allergic because I only get small itchy welts. The one or two spiders that do concern me are the fiddleback and the widow.
Another problem in crawl spaces is rodent fecies. After a hundred or so years it mixes into the dust or maybe it is the dust. When you move around in there it becomes airborne. Breathing it can't be good.
June 22, 2011 12:18AM
I hunt under porches every year, it's very dirty and you will find dead and live things under them, I have found some of my nicest coins from here, it's a hit or miss thing, one spot I found over 10 coins and a lot of bottles, I sifted this site