Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Red Tide

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Red Tide
November 06, 2019 10:49AM
last year or so Red Tide has really been an issue for local beaches. It kept a lot of people off the beaches ..... or they just didnt come to Fl. I read the paper this morning theres no Red Tide...... and i saw someone from the Health department on Siesta beach the other day taking samples. They can put it in the paper say there isnt any....... but locally i know better. Yesterday the water was as green as a water melon..... there were very few dead fish, but right away my nose started running and i got that red tide cough. Fewer people on the beach...... but almost all i passed were hacking and a few asked me why. A few of the brave even got in the water with their kids..... yuk. I dont think the local businesses wants the panic they have had the last few years of having to close their beach shops. Hopefully if its a cooler winter this year that will help. Otherwise fewer people ....... less time on the beach ..... or no time in those waters will hurt most hunters.
Re: Red Tide
November 06, 2019 03:19PM
Red Tide was devastating last year along our central Fl beaches. You could feel it as soon as you left your truck. Dead fish aplenty and no depositors for sure. I hope we can avoid that again this year.

I haven't felt or seen the effects so far at the beaches I hunt but that surely doesn't mean it's not coming as dewcon4414 reports!
November 06, 2019 03:50PM
I read in the Orlando Sentinel newspaper the other day there is Red Tide in southern Sarasota County? Always loved Siesta key
November 06, 2019 09:51PM
I can tell you it’s not up to Siesta because I was there today. But South of Venice it’s a bit nasty....thou there aren’t any dead fish to speak of. I hate to say it but we need some cooler water.
cdv
November 07, 2019 12:20AM
Oh it's there Dew, just not in levels that will affect you like further down south. Just give it a few days of southwest winds to bring it inshore more.
November 07, 2019 04:52PM
Roll Tide!!! Oh wait...read that title wrong LOL
November 12, 2019 10:02PM
Ran into 3 or 4 hunters today from the Ft Meyers Naples area to much red tide to hunt they said. Up to Siesta now. It’s pretty mild there compared to farther South. Hopefully it won’t be a constant issue keeping people off the beach. They are already limiting getting in the water.
November 13, 2019 12:48AM
It has made national news. People are getting very tired of it.