Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Curious (at least to me) question.

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Curious (at least to me) question.
December 08, 2019 02:00AM
Wanted to see what some opinions on this is.-----I see ads on occasion of detectors that are listed f/s as brand new but have been purchased some time ago (let's say two yrs. ago).----My thoughts are: how can a detector be brand new if purchased two yrs. ago (even if not used)?----Even if they have a transferable warranty the warranty time is being "eaten up" since the date of purchase by the original purchaser & that alone wouldn't make it "brand new".------Wouldn't the correct description be "like new" and with the time of purchase stated?------Whattcha think?----------Del
Re: Curious (at least to me) question.
December 08, 2019 02:23AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wanted to see what some opinions on this is.-----I
> see ads on occasion of detectors that are listed f
> /s as brand new but have been purchased some time
> ago (let's say two yrs. ago).----My thoughts are:
> how can a detector be brand new if purchased two y
> rs. ago (even if not used)?----Even if they have a
> transferable warranty the warranty time is being "
> eaten up" since the date of purchase by the origin
> al purchaser & that alone wouldn't make it "brand
> new".------Wouldn't the correct description be "li
> ke new" and with the time of purchase stated?-----
> -Whattcha think?----------Del

Having done a couple of deals on the forums over the years winking smiley The correct description should be "unused condition" with X amount of warranty left, if any. It's not brand new and that's a deceptive term in my book. Many years ago, I had one deal where the machine was no where close to how it was described. It took me hours to clean it because of the staining and the smell. I'm with you Del, wrong words to describe a machine that's even a few months old as far as the warranty goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 03:48AM by Dan(NM).
December 08, 2019 03:13AM
Is an 1878 Morgan dollar in MS-70 condition brand new? If it hasn't been used, is in original mint condition, and preferably in it's original packaging, then it's considered "brand new". I have a 1970's Bounty Hunter Outlaw (the old TR/BFO model) that is in it's original packaging, never even been put together much less used... it is brand new.
December 08, 2019 03:19AM
I personally dislike the use of the term "Like New", and it's one of the rare things where I agree with eBay. They 'banned' the use of the term "Like New" in item descriptions, many years ago. One reason they gave was: the title contains the word "new" , so if someone searched for a 'new' item, they would incorrectly get hits on secondhand goods. The second reason is that it's just plain not true. Only new items are like new, everything else is used/secondhand/previously owned, so if it's been taken out of its packing, used once, got covered in grubby fingerprints and its paperwork is missing, don't be a fraudulent liar and say it's "like new", it's not.

Ebay do (now) have a "New(other)" category, for such circumstances as damaged packaging. Possibly that description may be a fair way to describe a new item that's 2 years old? But as a buyer, I would be suspicious, and would be inclined to think it had been removed from the packing, assembled, played about with, left to gather dust, then stuck back into the box sometime, and was no longer a new item.

This is one of the problems with eBay/Gumtree/CraigsList etc etc, some sellers are plain liars, some are just optimistic, some are incompetent or have poor judgement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 03:22AM by Pimento.
December 08, 2019 03:31AM
Geotech Wrote:
> Is an 1878 Morgan dollar in MS-70 condition brand
> new? If it hasn't been used, is in original mint c
> ondition, and preferably in it's original packagin
> g, then it's considered "brand new". I have a 1970
> 's Bounty Hunter Outlaw (the old TR/BFO model) tha
> t is in it's original packaging, never even been p
> ut together much less used... it is brand new.

After actually looking the word up, I have to correct myself.

Definition of brand-new:
: conspicuously new and unused also : recently introduced a brand-new executive officer

Synonyms & Antonyms for brand-new

Synonyms

fresh, mint, pristine, span-new, virgin, virginal

On the other hand, in regards to the warranty, the manufacturer doesn't care if it's been used or not, it's only going to be covered during the specified time by most manufacturers. I believe that's the point Del is making.
December 08, 2019 04:08AM
My take.
Using term brand new and describing an item.
It should be unused and be a model currently still offered by manufacturer who makes.
Coins older imo shouldn't be described as such. Rather we use term as mint condition.

Older made items not being currently offered would be described as unused and still in original packaging.

If someone says they bought a brand new car for their mother, one would think it a freshly produced current model auto, not a vintage auto that has not ever been driven out of someone's basement.

So folks may use terms like lighty used, never used when describing detectors.

The term brand new also imo also in folks minds comes with some sort of warranty generally. So describing an older out of production for years detector as brand new even if never used should be described as unused and in original packaging if this applies.
It is not out of norm to describe something antique as say mint to near mint (if condition warrants), rather than brand new.
December 08, 2019 04:34AM
Pimento Wrote:
> I personally dislike the use of the term "Like New."
> The second reason is that it's just plain not true
> . Only new items are like new, everything else is
> used/secondhand/previously owned, so if it's been
> taken out of its packing, used once, got covered i
> n grubby fingerprints and its paperwork is missing
> , don't be a fraudulent liar and say it's "like ne
> w", it's not.

I have to respectfully disagree. "Like new" does not mean actually new,

The word "like" as a preposition, which is what we are talking about here, is defined per Webster's Dictionary as:

1. a. having the characteristics of : similar to
"his house is like a barn"
"it's like when we were kids"

b: typical of
"was like him to do that"

c: comparable to : APPROXIMATING
"costs something like fifty cents"

Understanding the correct definition of the word "like" and applying it to selling detectors, "like new" means that the item is in such good condition, that it is almost indistinguishable from new. That would include detectors that have been taken out, turned on, handled, and even used a couple times, as long as there is no damage or wear, not even a scratch, which is entirely possible with a detector if it has been carefully used a couple times and then put away.

I think it is a perfectly fair term to use, and means something just short of actually new but better than "excellent" condition. Use of this term does not mean the seller is a "fraudulent liar," as Pimento asserts. Buyers should be savvy enough to understand the use of this term doesn't mean actually new. It's certainly true that some sellers describe a detector as "like new" when it is clearly in lesser condition. In that case the seller may be fraudulent or just ignorant. That's my take anyway.
December 08, 2019 04:52AM
It is a grey area, some folks do use "like new" to mean very good used condition, which is why I like that eBay clarified their listing rules, and forced users to specify the condition: New; New(other); Used [plus a few others like 'factory refurbished'], there is no "like new". If it's used, and looks fantastic, say 'it's used and looks fantastic'. Then the abiguity is gone.
December 08, 2019 06:01AM
Even if one had a un-used, mint, sealed in original box, Wilson metal detector.....the warranty would be gone.....not comparable with a New warrantied machine. Some electronics go bad just by sitting over time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 06:05AM by Arkansas.
December 08, 2019 06:24AM
I don't really see the issue at all. If you're not on board with a seller advertising something as "like new" move on, simple as that.
December 08, 2019 01:40PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> I don't really see the issue at all. If you're no
> t on board with a seller advertising something as
> "like new" move on, simple as that.

That's my view as well. I am more inclined to be bothered when something is listed as "like new" and it actually looks like it has been dragged behind a vehicle for a dozen miles. The other, in my opinion, is simply trivial. Even if it has been assembled and just not used, I am cool with it.
December 08, 2019 04:51PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't really see the issue at all. If you're
> no
> > t on board with a seller advertising something a
> s
> > "like new" move on, simple as that.
>
> That's my view as well. I am more inclined to be b
> othered when something is listed as "like new" and
> it actually looks like it has been dragged behind
> a vehicle for a dozen miles. The other, in my opi
> nion, is simply trivial. Even if it has been asse
> mbled and just not used, I am cool with it.

Agreed. Any time you buy on the second hand market, caveat emptor applies.
December 08, 2019 07:25PM
My question is with all these machines with the lithium ion batteries. It's not technically recommended to store them for long periods of time without use or proper charge. This is right out of Xp manual

Ideally you should discharge/recharge the batteries at least once a month, and if possible store them 40 to 70% charged. What a out a machine that been sitting on the shelf for a half a year or longer. Guaranteed the batteries are dead in the box. I know this will not wreck the batteries. Is still not proper care either. So can these still be called new?? I've bought quite a few new coils over the last 6 yrs. All but one have came with like half to full charge. One of my brand new X35 coils showed up completely dead. I felt like I wasn't really getting a new coil cause of this. Idk kinda sketchy