Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

pinpointer

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
pinpointer
December 14, 2019 09:51PM
Been out of detecting for a short time. question is.... is the orange garrett pinpointer still the most popular. thanks
Re: pinpointer
December 14, 2019 09:56PM
Never was
December 14, 2019 10:15PM
I would say the Garrett carrot is the most popular used pinpointer out..
December 14, 2019 10:44PM
Yeah, I see far more Garrett carrots used then any other brand. HH jim tn
December 14, 2019 10:47PM
Whites TRX----the ONLY way to go!
December 14, 2019 11:55PM
I have a Garrett carrot and a Minelab Pro find-35, I like the Minelab better.
December 14, 2019 11:57PM
I like the TRX best also, I like that you can use one 9v or 2 aa batterys. The TRX is water proof and has a higher setting than the Garretts, or at lease I can feel it and hear it better.
December 15, 2019 01:12AM
Whites TRX for inland. Choose a pulse type pinpointer (waterproof) for the beach or underwater. Garretts' pinpointers never last me long....no matter the color/vegetable.
December 15, 2019 01:50AM
Teknetics Tek Point. I hated it at first but once I learned how to handle it I wouldn’t use any other. One deep powerful pinpointer
December 15, 2019 01:53AM
Which one handles bad dirt the best?
December 15, 2019 01:59AM
Pedlar mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which one handles bad dirt the best?

The ones that are pulse induction
December 15, 2019 02:41AM
Bill long Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Teknetics Tek Point. I hated it at first but once
> I learned how to handle it I wouldn’t use any othe
> r. One deep powerful pinpointer

I had the same experience with the Fisher F-Pulse. It takes some getting used to and can be a bit finicky but gets way more depth than the Garrett. Best pinpointer I've ever owned.
December 15, 2019 09:45AM
Yes...…. Fisher F-Pulse is superior in nearly all of my applications. It'll go approx. 4" on a dime....and with VCO intel...…… which...……. in turn...…… allows me to (nearly always) find the target after the very first shovel-full of dirt. Major time-saver.
December 15, 2019 09:57AM
For everyday use i still use my old black Garrett propointer,never missed a beat in all the years that i have used it,also carry a Whites Bullseye as a backup,when on deep pasture and using either my Nexus or TDI Pro i use the Detectorpro Uniprobe pulse probe which has pretty amazing depth.
December 15, 2019 12:29PM
What's best is still a matter of opinion. sonny(IN) asked if the orange Garrett pin pointer was still the most popular,,,,,,and seemly it still is. I use one most of the time as there is no messing around to do with it, but I feel my Fisher F Pulse is quite a bit deeper and I am going it now more often. HH jim tn
December 15, 2019 03:18PM
I’ve had the same great results as others with the Fisher F-Pulse.

Amazing, but interferes badly with my Impact when running in 5kHz. I have to mute my Black Widows when pin pointing.
No issues when running in 14kHz or 20kHz though.
December 16, 2019 02:28PM
Dave-e, The F-Pulse has 16 frequency settings selections you can cycle through to find one that doesn't interfere with your detector. Turn your detector on, turn the pin pointer on and put it into the frequency selection menu and point it at your coil and cycle through the frequencies until you find one that is quiet for both. Note that you should never detect with the F-Pulse on and pointed anywhere toward your coil as it will silent mask so badly that your detector will not report surface targets. So when doing your frequency selection process you should be sweeping over a target at the same time. You want a frequency that is quite AND not causing masking.

I like the both the F-Pulse and the TRX. I never have to ground balance the F-Pulse like I do the TRX. But for tiny targets, the TRX is king. I have a Nokta/Makro pinpointer but haven't ever used it yet so can't say anything about it.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2019 02:30PM by Mike Hillis.
December 18, 2019 11:40PM
Nope..... not the only game in town. Try a Fisher F Pulse. 100% better.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
December 19, 2019 12:45AM
Truthfully...….. I'm a bit surprised the F-Pulse didn't wipe out the rest of the pinpointer market.
December 19, 2019 01:11AM
My meager 2 cents. I have been using a vibraprobe 580 for several years. PI before the F Pulse came out. Just enough depth to be happy. Also never hear the annoying beeps. Tip only detection. It is like a surgeon scalpel finding the target. Not like all the detecting videos I see where the people are searching forever with the other machines with side detection. Also very durable, never had any problem over the years. Has always been waterproof.
December 19, 2019 01:54AM
My f pulse reacts to my ground horribly, acts just like my carrot to the dirt alone. Do I need to change how it is set up or is there a chance I have a bad one?
December 19, 2019 04:40AM
The first version of the F-pulse would sometimes freeze/lock up. I believe it has been corrected with an updated version. There are used ones on the market, but a gamble. Not sure how to tell which version one would have....perhaps by serial number?? The deepest stand-alone (not Sunray) pinpointer I have used was the Pistol Probe pulse. It was deeper than the TRX and slightly deeper than both Uniprobe models. The Pistol Probe, however wasnt very durable, not waterproof, not loud enough, used two 9 volt batteries, and looked like a gun....LOL. Years ago some really favored the Pistol Probe including DirtFishing (tube video) author. Vibraprobe pinpointers were designed to be durable and tightly waterproof. Some pinpointers are rechargeable and have a sealed battery......kinda disposable. What about the XP pinpointer or Nokta pulse???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2019 04:49AM by Arkansas.
December 19, 2019 02:56PM
I have owned and used all the Garrett pinpointers, and just about all other brands of pinpointers, including the Garrett Pro Pointer II, Garrett Propointer AT, Garrett Propointer Z-Lynk,Whites Bullseye TRX, Nokta MAkro PulseDive, Vibra Probe, Bounty Hunter Pinpointer, Pistol Probe, Tint Deluxe and a few others . The very best, by far, of all of them is the XP MI-6. Yes, it is made to pair with the XP Deus, but is also a great stand alone pinpointer. The reason I like it so much is that although it detects 360° around the shaft, it is more accurate off the tip than all other pinpointers I have ever used. I am mainly a clad shooter(only because of where I live) and ALWAYS use the MI-6 to determine the EXACT location of the target and then use a screwdriver to pop the coin(sometimes I use my Lesche Digging Tool because my ground is so dry and hard a screwdriver will not penetrate it). With all other pinpointers, I can get close, but not exactly above the target. And, when I do dig a target, I dig a very small diameter hole and the MI-6 allows me to tell exactly where the target is, even if in the side of the hole. Since most other pinpointers detect so well off the shaft, this is difficult to do unless you dig a big hole and that is not an option for me. The MI-6, for me at least, just can not be beat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2019 02:59PM by James/Texas.
December 20, 2019 03:32PM
seems pretty popular to me???????????
December 20, 2019 04:32PM
The Garret pin pointer was popular at the beginning because it had no competition. That has changed. Since it also detects the full length of the probe it can take a while to find the target. Just watching vids of people using the Garret pin pointer irritates me because it takes them so long to locate the target. I'm like, "put that thing down and grab a handful of dirt already!" HAHA

HH
Mike
December 20, 2019 04:41PM
Well my 2 cents. I've never used an F-pulse. But I currently have 2 TRX's a black Garrett, orange Garrett, Pro 35 and a XP MI-6. I like the XP pin pointer the best followed by the Pro-35
December 20, 2019 05:03PM
I've had them all, and every one of them has something about it that I could complain about. Some are very big deal breakers for sure; genuine quirks that you either live to tolerate or send them down the road. The Garretts false on the ground a lot, even when you "tune" or "gb" them. All of my crew had the F-Pulse and Tek-Pulse that had the lock-up/freezing bug with them. You had to tap them to get them to quit doing it, and sometimes even then it wouldn't quit. A couple of the guys sent theirs in to be repaired and were sent new probes, but those started doing the same thing. They might have it fixed now but that's not something I cared to revisit. I don't like the Minelab probes with the iron ID feature....tried those and they went bye bye. I had the XP probe as well, the one that could sync to the Deus. It was decent but I still didn't like it. The one I guess I have the least gripes about has been the Whites TRX. I did, by accident, leave mine submerged for a couple days in the water and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't....but when it works, I like it better than the others. LOL
December 21, 2019 04:48AM
Competition is what makes a game. Garrett could have produced a waterproof pinpointer or corrected their falsing problem many years ago. Sad thing is.....even the China made X-pointer doesnt false.....ever. Things really kicked into high gear after import Nokta-Makro (Turkey) introduced their first waterproof model. The Technology Train is full steam ahead....waits for no one. Thinking back, the Sunray Probes were tops for me