Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ3D sample tests with videos. Questions on target tones

Posted by SilverPeter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ3D sample tests with videos. Questions on target tones
December 25, 2019 10:48PM
Have a Tom tuned (2017) Fisher CZ3D 1021. Dealing with EMI issues in my area and looking for a machine capable of handling these tough locations. Below are 4 videos (60 to 90 seconds each) showcasing some of the targets I have tried to sample.

One of videos shows a zinc penny buried on edge at a depth 4.5" Rings in as a iron tone much of the time.
The last video is rather alarming and caused me to give up for the day detecting. Normally a nickle rings in as a high tone sound. however this was not the case and rang in closer to a iron/nail tone.
Every spot I ground balanced so I know I was good there.
Please review the short videos and any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Peter

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
Re: CZ3D sample tests with videos. Questions on target tones
December 26, 2019 02:03AM
You either have some really bad dirt or something is wrong with your detector. My CZ5 and Tom tuned CZ3D hit hard and accurately on deep nickels and silver coins without any problem.

tabman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2019 02:04AM by tabman.
December 26, 2019 03:23AM
Peter...….. I'm out of time right now...….. but will view/review these videos...…. hopefully...…. in the near future.
December 26, 2019 04:15AM
Thanks all... Yeah tabman that might be the issue. (I bought the CZ used.) Hopefully not as I don't have an unlimited budget for detectors.

Thanks Tom for taking a look when you can. What's strange is that the CZ3D air tests better at home with all the EMI, electronics ect around that environment.

Hopefully just a coil issue?? Not sure how to test for that.

Appreciate your time!!
Peter

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
December 26, 2019 01:13PM
I use to run a CZ5 and in real bad dirt, it did the same thing. Worked great here in East NC, but I took it to the mountains where my uncle lives and it was almost useless there. Over 2 or 3 inches, it was IDing everything as iron.
December 26, 2019 04:16PM
Thanks kevinnc... Yeah that very well may be the issue here too. My original idea was to have the CZ3D for areas where EMI made my SE useless. Of course bad dirt is bad dirt, and I will be limited in my detecting. GB the CZ unit has been pretty consistent between 3-4.

With conductors ringing in as iron, I decided to start digging all signals. That did not go well either as all I found was iron. Not practical and not worth anyone's time in the long run.

It's always tuff buying used electronics and maybe I should have just bought a new unit and at least had a solid baseline to work from. I really wanted to have a great start to 2020, have my gear ready to go and just detect. (when I'm not researching locations) While a setback, I still think something can be dialed in to work.

Peter

-Thomas Dankowski
December 26, 2019 06:38PM
Very possible that it is your soil. My newly acquired CZ3D validated to 11.9" unit does the same exact thing you show in your videos. It will pick up the coins but IDs them as iron with only an occasional high tone chirp....say one out of 5 sweeps over the coins.
December 26, 2019 07:41PM
Thanks Daniel for the comment. So is it also the same for depth?? (Getting just a portion of depth these machines are capable of?)

Not sure of a work around on this. Frankly I am not likely to go out and detect if my only option is to dig shallow iron tones. I am going to go over again these same areas with the "salt mode" engaged. Perhaps I can punch thru the salts/silt and clay that is stopping my machines. I know "mineralization" is a broad term, but I do know in fact not only living in a volcano region, there is also a clay base to much of the area.

Peter

-Thomas Dankowski
December 26, 2019 09:34PM
Peter - That is correct on the depth. I have a non fatty Indian cent at around 5 inches deep and that's where the iron ID begins to take over on the CZ (and other units as well). I did note one difference between our machines -- mine ground balances at around the number 6 whereas yours is around 3. I don't know what that might signify (if anything) but I do know this particular CZ will air test like nobody's business. Absolutely crazy for an 8 inch coil and at least in the air, will ID a dime out to the fringes of detecting distance. On nickels...it depends on what they are. I have some that even out of the ground, do not ID as a nickel. And I have some that do ID as a nickel.
December 26, 2019 10:53PM
As far as Ground balance number the higher the number the milder the ground if working properly. My ground is moderate and I GB about 4.5-5 at some spots.
December 27, 2019 01:42AM
Peter...… I just watched all 4 videos. Wow. Looks like bad dirt.

WHEN YOU GROUND BALANCE...……. how 'hair-splitting' must the Grnd Bal control knob be set at...… in order to achieve no noise whilst bobbing the coil up-and-down? If you can rotate the Grnd Bal knob..... about a full 1 digit away from the perfect Grnd Bal set-point...…. then your mineralization is mild-mild/medium. If you can NOT rotate your Grnd Balance knob hardly at all...… and the unit immediately goes out of balance...…. then...……………… you have hot ground! ((( If that's the case...… then switch/use your MDT. )))
December 27, 2019 02:04AM
Thanks Tom for your input. Yes spot on with the later part of your assessment. In fact the "sweet spot" is in a hairsplitting fraction on the knob, even then it is not what I would call perfectly balanced. I will be heading back to the "nickle hill" and trying various machines on this to further educate myself.

I have been using the CZ3D in my yard and test garden and am impressed how well it does in this rich EMI location. Hence one of the reasons I purchased this unit.

Really appreciate everyone's time replying and look forward to sharing more vids.

Peter

-Thomas Dankowski
December 27, 2019 03:09PM
Peter...… yes, the platform is one of the most resilient EMI platforms on planet Earth; yet, it pains me to say this: It TOO ….will fall flat on its face...… in severe dirt. And...…………….. by your description, that is exactly what you have. In your case...…. I strongly recommend coming out of your multi-frequency platform...… and switch-over/start-using the MDT.
December 30, 2019 08:01PM
I guess Ole' Daniel will be selling his soon since it can't bust through that high ground he has?
December 31, 2019 04:02AM
I'm keeping it around for now. I have a few detectors that represent different technologies across the board and have some video ideas in mind for them. The main thing is, I still don't think some people can believe/accept that their favorite detector can fail in anything. Mineralized soil included. It can be eye opening for sure but I still think some would dispute what they see. Right now I have a CTX3030, Nox 800, CZ3D, and Tarsacci MDT.
December 31, 2019 11:59AM
You going to be the hot ground version of Ole' Cal. I thought you was too busy workin' to mess around with videos?
December 31, 2019 06:03PM
I've been off work for the last 3 weeks man. My mind is always working on video ideas. Whether they come to being posted, or even videoed or not, that's a different story. My off time lately has centered on chasing catfish and deer instead of metal detecting. When I do go detecting, the video stuff is usually too big of a hassle for the time I am allotted...would rather spend the time hunting instead of videoing.

I think it would do some of you guys some good to see the effects of ground mineralization especially when it comes to detectors you guys have almost given Supernatural status to. I've always been under the impression that you think the hot ground topic is a big joke.
December 31, 2019 06:13PM
((( With a CZ...…. holding the coil 7" above the ground (at Lake Oconee, GA)……. the unit went into continuous bell-tone overload. Deep red dirt. Some areas were worse...… some were better. )))
December 31, 2019 07:22PM
All I know is what works in my ground which is moderate. CZs,Nautilus, Etrac/Explorers, and Tesoros work good. But I could never be as smart as you and Ole' Cal I already know that. You two forgot more than I will ever know, LOL!
January 01, 2020 06:20PM
Here is how I see it. I have to remember to approach new/old areas the same as a doctor views a new patient. Or a lawyer takes on a new case...
Am I asking all the right questions I can. Am I looking at every possible angle before I decide to detect a location, with the right detector.

Many times (more than I care to admit) I don't do that hence the thread above. The minute I was barely able to GB, I should have stopped right there and determined the reason why... It would have saved me a lot of time and needless worry.

One of the reasons I love this forum so much. I can post an issue and get intelligent feed back and continue on. Hopefully in the new year, I can give a little too.

Found with CZ3D in my home yard the other evening. I believe the spoon to be silver plated. However the nicks along the front edge only reveal silver. Also 3 wheats that fit the era of the house.

-Thomas Dankowski
January 01, 2020 07:19PM
That's a beautiful find. What's the read on the spoon handle?
January 01, 2020 08:12PM
Yes ozzie-I have that!
"roger&bro a1"

-Thomas Dankowski