Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Correctly tuned CZ-3D

Posted by Kurt-NE 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Correctly tuned CZ-3D
May 30, 2007 01:44AM
Hi Tom, in one of your posts you mentioned a correctly tuned 3d. I was thinking about getting one and was wondering what my chances are of getting a lemon. I would hate to spend that kind of money for a machine that isn't working at peak performance. How do I know if it is tuned correctly and if it isn't, how do I get it tuned?

Thanks again for a great dvd. Hope to see another out soon.

Thanks.

Kurt
Re: Correctly tuned CZ-3D
May 31, 2007 02:40AM
Hi Kurt,

Yes, I have seen some out-of-cal units that were 'new-in-box'. If you acquire one..... and feel it is out-of-specs,,,,,, (time permitting), I'd be glad to put it on the bench and bring it back into original design specs/intents.

Tom
August 08, 2007 10:03PM
Hi Tom/Ev1

Is there a routine for testing for correct calibration?

My cz5 seems to be falsing alot so it would be very helpfull to have a way of testing all is well with the unit before sending it off for servicing.

Thanks

Rich /England
August 09, 2007 02:19PM
Hi Rich,

I have the original calibration & test "Standards" for the CZ-3D. I also have a set of cal & test standards..... and I would assume the new Fisher (First Texas) also has standards for all CZ's. These are items/tools/devices (usually test-targets) utilized to calibrate/align the "null" on electronic equipment......including metal detectors. ..... It sounds like your unit may have a stability problem, external electromagnetic interference exposure, bad ground mineralization or very trashy areas.

First; Discover if it is stable in open air (or bench tests).
Second; Discover if it is stable in a open field in the country where no targets exist.
Third; Force the unit to be 'unstable' and slowly (incrementally) alter the Grnd Bal control and seek to find a 'change/differential'.
Fourth; Discover if unit is stable at lower Sens settings.
Fifth; Discover if instability is in 'Salt mode' ,,, 'Normal mode' ,,, 'All-Metal mode' only...... or is in ALL modes.

Sincerely,

Tom
August 09, 2007 05:16PM
Hi Tom

Thanks for that i will work through each step carefully and take it from there.

Thanks again for your help

Rich
October 24, 2012 11:33PM
NASA-Tom
Hi Rich,

I have the original calibration & test "Standards" for the CZ-3D. I also have a set of cal & test standards..... .

Sincerely,

Tom

Hey Tom, can you share with us your relationship with Fisher in the early years that would allow you access to technical information (design intent) that would normally be impossible to gain, even for the most hard-core, technically minded detectorist today?

B.T.W., these early postings are invaluable!
October 25, 2012 01:17AM
NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) ........... for both directions.
October 25, 2012 01:50PM
All I know is Tom has the ability to tweak an analog CZ for additional depth and proper facet readings for a super tuneup from fellows I have talked to and perusing the forums.
Basically from watching his videos and perusing his writings he surely knows detecting no matter what the unit and moderates a great forum. I would suspect he has no connection with the new Fisher but indeed was instrumental in perfecting the present concept of the CZ3D with the old Fisher and is a credit to the hobby.
October 25, 2012 08:21PM
I have an old '1021' CZ-3D I sent to Tom for validation. In his dirt it gets 12" on a clad dime.
I purchased (for my son) a NEW validated FT CZ-3D FROM TOM and it gets 12" on a clad dime.

They both have exactly the same performance.

I will tell you upfront: If you want to avoid future dissapointment BUY IT FROM TOM. You can be assured of not getting a 'lemon' and as a plus it will be validated/supertuned by Tom himself!

P.S. Kurt-NE, do you live in Nebraska? I live in Valley but most of my life I lived in Omaha.
October 27, 2012 11:24AM
Tom, is your NDA with the Old Fisher or the New Fisher? Is there a time limit?
October 27, 2012 01:03PM
Old Los Banos FRL.
October 27, 2012 03:23PM
Can we assume (I know) That NDA is SOP for the industry?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
October 27, 2012 04:15PM
Yes...... almost.
October 28, 2012 01:28AM
Shoot, NDA's are so standard in business now we keep a ready to print file on our office computer, and I'm usually just making parts for people! You pretty much have to or the Asian market will jump on anything and pirate it. I'm sure detector development is no different.