Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Title edited - Touchscreen capable detectors models already exist see below. Wonder if any detector manufacturers are experimenting with touch pad screens ? iPad mini screen being tested for how abrasion resistant (video 1 posted) - (video #2 p

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How tough is the glass on smart phones, iPads, etc.
Wonder if a detector could be set up with touch screen yet give operator a way to turn off touchscreen and use another way to select menu items.
Could a touch screen detector become popular or a longer lasting fad?
Maybe.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 12:06PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Wonder if any detector manufacturers are experimenting with touch screen ?
February 15, 2020 02:09PM
dirty gloves maybe a problem
February 15, 2020 02:17PM
diggers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dirty gloves maybe a problem

You know how often I wear gloves while actually detecting? Very little and when I did it was real windy and cold.
I have put gloves on to dig a find depending on conditions. Like when real muddy. Took the gloves off when finished and continued to detect.

Again though how tough or scratch resistant is the glass?

Also wonder which generally is more energy efficient, touch screen or mashing buttons? Assuming maybe a non color screen for touch screen.

Remember, it may be this using touch screen not best in some folks minds. But may be best in some folks minds. We as a population I think have become accustom to touch screens. A habit really. So why not extend this habit to detecting?

Just pondering here.
Sometimes the obvious gets left out. When it comes to equipment. And one day someone or a manufacturer catches on and before you know you have a popular item.

So if indeed available and I had. I could say my detector has touch screen. Sounds catchy don’t it. Catchy sells stuff.

I don’t know the economics behind making touch screen though. That could be limiting factor.

If we go back in history, lots more folks had negative feelings about wireless headphones. Now look around.
Same goes for internet updatable Detectors.

Yeah you always have naysayers at first.
Then some come around once reality sets in and they can be honest with themselves.

Even waterproofing a detector it wasn’t long ago it was frowned upon.
Now look around.

Some folks resist change. I realize this. If you let these folks drive detector manufacturing process over time might as well go get 2 paper cups and a string to talk to folks.
Not singling anyone out with above statement.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 02:40PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 15, 2020 02:51PM
Diggers is right as far as dirty gloves/fingers. I don't even like when the pp button is on the face of the unit...I prefer a trigger switch.

I come upon sharp objects including glass and pottery, some of those lath nails get like needles.... wearing gloves as protection will lower the odds of getting a cut or puncture and a trip to the tetanus factory.

For me, I vote nay on the touch screen.
February 15, 2020 03:10PM
It is a thought. A lot of the more serious detecting video people have abandoned the Gopros and are doing the videos via their smartphones. Of course all of those have touch screens and all of them detecting will have dirty and gritty fingers.
February 15, 2020 03:25PM
"it was real windy and cold. ...... real muddy."

This is describing the typical U.K weather that Diggers, myself, Ghound et al, have. Gloves or not, a touchscreen will end up smeared with lumps of mud. If there's one bit of my machine I want clean, it's the screen ... the knobs and buttons can be caked in mud as long as they work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 03:28PM by Pimento.
February 15, 2020 05:44PM
Remember I said can be used as an option, whereas manual buttons still available to use. It is not always windy and cold in UK. I lived there for 2 years. Smart detector is what we are talking about. Would have to be marketed though under another name maybe. I’m not real smart on trademark laws.
A built in camera system nice idea too.
Where one can change field of view. And where maybe detector settings are superimposed at the time on the parts of the video.

Folks maybe wondering where I get my ideas.
I saw a new range finder/scope system the other day. Where range finder and scope reticle are indeed electronically linked.

Go pro cameras not cheap.
Folks buy them, some just for detecting it seems.

We’ll see what the industry hatches in next few years.

Some folks when back up cameras came out on autos may have thought were unnecessary. Well, I can’t turn my head as far as I use to could when backing. Seems some accidents maybe even lives saved by using.

When I walk around I try and pay attention.
We can all be creatures of wanting higher efficiency,
Just this morning I was grocery shopping in Wallyworld.
Sure as the world a delay at the checkout counter line I was in. One of those persons with some coupons.
I got to thinking the store already has the scanners scattered through store to verify product prices. Wouldn’t it be nice if a person could indeed verify the product they think is covered somewhat price wise by a coupon, how about being able to check this very thing at one of those tactically placed scaners in the aisles of store.
I mentioned this to the younger gent who checked my groceries.
He said he would talk to his boss and bring this up.

So if this indeed becomes reality, folks may can thank me.

Could apply to other grocery store chains too.

When we are detecting or doing anything really we should be thinking, thinking, thinking. I do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 05:49PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 15, 2020 05:51PM
My "Canon" camcorder has one and it's frustrating to use as it tends to 'overshoot' the Setting you want to change!
And it would be just impossible to do that with gloves on...
February 15, 2020 06:02PM
I have an older mini iPad.
It works. Battery not too good.
I am going to make a test rat out of it.
I will post before and after pics here of screen.
I am going to be maybe even subjecting the screen of it to more possible scratching one may even do on a detector with such screen.
I’ll used mud on fingers and will as I progressively get more harsh finger/mud wise on screen take pics as I progress.
And see what happens.
I may post on another forum and put link here.
This site not a super pic friendly.

Will wash screen off with testing and see if with more and more possible abrasion just how is screen’s actual viewing actually affected.

Testing will go on for days. We’ll see what happens.

Will try to concentrate on same general areas of iPad screen for test purposes.

YouTube videos will be done too.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 06:08PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 15, 2020 06:31PM
Your I-phone glass screen is VERY resistant. And...… many folks keep their cellphone in their pocket WITHOUT a protective case.

I do not wear gloves when I hunt; yet, I would not want my muddy fingers all over the (easily washable) screen.

David...….. there are optics that have built-in range-finders...…. and will electronically automatically adjust the optic crosshairs for the exact ballistics of your projectile. They are light/starlight-gathering, IR, cam-recordable, data upload/download capable.... and WiFi to what ever device you choose.
(( I mandatorily require: -for the past 2-1/2 years- :a FFP telescope. It's a Godsend. ))
February 15, 2020 07:06PM
Video coming here soon describing my test.
Will test using different soils.
Will test using soils with varying amounts of moisture.
Will test with fingers subjected to sand but will wipe rings off quickly on trousers and rub/contact screen.
A real good test.
Just to see.
We might be surprised.
Screen could be replaced too in time maybe.
Already played with using gloves, seems gloves affect pressure and gives mixed results as far as actually activating touch pad function. Can be done but tricky.
Will also experiment on if/how quantities of soil on fingers as far as affecting touch pad ops.
Remember a person could have a rag tied to their detector under control head to wipe fingers/hands as one detects as one comes in contact with soil. Rag wouldn’t do a perfect job yet would cut down on amount of dirt on fingers.

First complete test will be center of screen rubbed for 1 complete hour. And do another video with go pro approx 3” from screen.

Then test 2 another hour for 2 total hours. Then do another video.

Will change soils and do another one hour and video. And then another hour. Video.

Remember I am comcentrating on same small portion of screen. If reality this touching would be spread out over larger area.

Freshwater beach sand test.
I will do video showing how I test using it.
Then will subject area of screen to multiple hours with some sand on fingers.
Again pressure exuded similar to regular ispad use to activate touch pad.

Video almost done the first one.
Standby.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 07:29PM by tnsharpshooter.
First video explaining test with some demo. Will show in thread title additional videos by number as I get test done and video posted here.
Intro video #1
[m.youtube.com]

Video #2 10 minute test
[m.youtube.com]

Video #3 20 minute test plus run pinpointed across portion of screen.
Special note soil on pinpointer hard dried could be a stone mixed in with dirt on pointer’s end. Scratch is ultra fine btw.
[m.youtube.com]

Video #4
Not an abrasion test, rather to see if this touch screen works with protective cover. Test I’ll do is leave the protective cover in place I installed and rub it with mud and see how much rubbing it takes and still be able to see through the protective cover easily and see icons and text.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 11:27PM by tnsharpshooter.
Certain model GoPros DO have touchscreens, mine does. Hero Session does not, just a small cube. People were ALL up in arms way back when I got my 6s plus and iPad Pro. I’ve never had a screen protector on the iPad which I’m typing on now, and not ONE of even the tiniest scratches on the glass. I have VERY rough hands sometimes from being an auto mechanic and if MY hands won’t scratch it, nobody’s will. The iPhone has been in an Otterbox it’s whole life besides getting a complete cleaning every so often. You can’t tell one screen from the other if you selectively look at a few square inches of each screen. Apple stuff is VERy tough, but you can’t drop one on concrete or do something ridiculous or the glass a WILL break. You can’t make everything “moron-proof”, although I think many would like it that way.
So a protective cover will work and protect screen.
Som things to think about as far as using touch screens on metal detectors.

How costly is the tech and glass.
How durable is the glass from shock.
How much power required to work vs conventional screens
I don’t know the differences in power requirements color vs black and white.
Glass is heavier than plastic assuming same thickness.
The glass by itself more scratch resistant vs plastic
Glare advantages disadvantages. Could be touch pad akin to plasm tv screen for glare vs lcd or even led TVs.
Ops in direct sunlight.
I do think overall detector if touch pad used could be smaller overall, could save some overall weight. The screen would encompass the button positions of older conventional detectors.
How reliable is touch pad vs mechanical buttons.
I have had no problems with 2 mini iPads I have used loads and loads and loads.
I don’t think a mechanical button would hold up as well. Just my opinion.
Can touch pad be incorporated with waterproofing of a detector.

All I can think of for now.
Oh and I might as well say this. I had to ditch my flip trac phone. Seems it won’t much longer (according to trac phone folks via letter I got) so I bought a smart android trac phone. Cost $49 plus tax. It is a phone, clock, internet, email, text, calculator, radio., camera and video recorder. And has this nice durable scratch resistant glass it seems. Thought I would share.

If I had to place a bet on which manufacturer does infact come out with touch pad on metal detector my money is on Xp. Just a hunch. I know nothing - Scout’s honor.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 01:18AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 16, 2020 01:56AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Your I-phone glass screen is VERY resistant. And..
> .… many folks keep their cellphone in their pocket
> WITHOUT a protective case.
>
> I do not wear gloves when I hunt; yet, I would not
> want my muddy fingers all over the (easily washabl
> e) screen.
>
> David...….. there are optics that have built-in ra
> nge-finders...…. and will electronically automatic
> ally adjust the optic crosshairs for the exact bal
> listics of your projectile. They are light/starlig
> ht-gathering, IR, cam-recordable, data upload/down
> load capable.... and WiFi to what ever device you
> choose.
> (( I mandatorily require: -for the past 2-1/2 year
> s- :a FFP telescope. It's a Godsend. ))

This one here is what a gent I am acquainted with has. He uses on Ravin crossbow like I have. And he likes it.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 02:00AM by tnsharpshooter.
We debated this at White's after the release of the V3. The V3 has a lot of menu options which could be simplified using a touch screen. The obvious issue with gritty/muddy fingers and gloves has been mentioned. I think this is largely mitigated by using the touchscreen before the hunt to set up the machine, and during the hunt you still have a keypad for making adjustments, perhaps to a smaller subset of controls. That way you don't have to use the touch screen while hunting. Regardless, you would want to cover the screen with scratch-proof glass, like Gorilla glass.

The other issue is visibility. The V3 uses a "transflective" display which has pretty good daylight visibility. Most color displays are "transmissive" meaning they require a backlight, and in bright sunlight they still wash out. Most cell phone are almost unusable in bright sunlight, though they have gotten better. Transflective displays are hard to find, and impossible with a touch screen. So you could easily make a detector with a touch screen display but it would suck in bright sunlight.

On price & power, a standard segmented LCD is $10-15, a 4.3" color display is $50-75 including touch. So it'll add about $200 to the MSRP. The normal segmented LCD consumes a few milliwatts, the color display a few 100 milliwatts. The V3 consumed overall about 3000mW whereas most single-freq detectors consume 250-500mW. Besides the color display, the V3 is also running 3 frequencies and a wireless module so not all the blame goes to the display, just a lot of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 05:36AM by Geotech.
Thanks Geotech for the info.. I am getting educated on touch screen here. Doing a few google searches to learn more found this. So the con really is not dirty fingers and the screen if using touch screen. It’s making screen that can be seen in bright sunlight.

[www.elshine.com.tw]

Someone mentioned they have or have seen a go pro camera with touch pad. I’m curious, how does its screen look in direct sunlight?
My go pro does not have touch screen.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 05:36AM by tnsharpshooter.
Optical bonding helps, but it's usually not as good as transflective. Transflective is best in bright sunlight; problem is, it doesn't look as good indoors, and indoors is where most people buy things. So to be competitive, the product has to have a screen that really wows the customer. Until they step outside.

I've recently evaluated a color/touch display that looks really good outside. Problem is, I got nothing to put it in.
Geotech Wrote:
> Optical bonding helps, but it's usually not as goo
> d as transflective. Transflective is best in brigh
> t sunlight; problem is, it doesn't look as good in
> doors, and indoors is where most people buy things
> . So to be competitive, the product has to have a
> screen that really wows the customer. Until they s
> tep outside.
>
> I've recently evaluated a color/touch display that
> looks really good outside. Problem is, I got nothi
> ng to put it in.

Maybe you’ll eventually find or engineer some thing to put display in.

Here’s some thing else I found.
Seems can be seen in sunlight (don’t know how well), will work with glove (seems can be so thick) and with water pool on screen. They make lots of sizes. Hard for me to interpret info though.

[m.grahtouch.com]

And to further the educational value of this thread.
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Gorilla glass 5
[www.corning.com]

Gorilla glass 6
[www.corning.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 06:21AM by tnsharpshooter.
Just so happens I work for Corning Inc. the makers of Gorilla Glass as well as many other specialty glass products. People would be surprised at the advances made in protective glass products in the last decade, many that cannot be discussed but will revolutionize many everyday applications.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 04:35PM by choppadude.
why not go to speach recognition right away as it saves dirty facias ?
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> All I can think of for now.
> Oh and I might as well say this. I had to ditch m
> y flip trac phone. Seems it won’t much longer (ac
> cording to trac phone folks via letter I got) so I
> bought a smart android trac phone. Cost $49 plus
> tax. It is a phone, clock, internet, email, text,
> calculator, radio., camera and video recorder. An
> d has this nice durable scratch resistant glass it
> seems. Thought I would share.

This.

I hear people discussing a touch screen interface for their machine and what they'd like to see in it (easy to see, adjustable brightness/backlighting, resistant to scratches, camera, GPS, wireless, etc.) and what I'm hearing is a description of a smart phone. The obvious question is why bother developing a new interface when there's already a very good and mature interface sitting in the potential owner's pocket?
I have been alerted a touch screen capable detector already exist.
I believe there are 2 models a 300 model and 400 model.

Here’s is YouTube of 300 model. Good video in English imo. Notice screen is adjustable (able to be tilted) for glare.
[m.youtube.com]

Here is more expensive somewhat 400 model

[www.groundefx.com]
model 400 user’s manual English.
[www.kellycodetectors.com]

Directory of YouTube videos of 400 model
[m.youtube.com]

More videos of mx300 model. Detector released long time ago. Note how long ago these videos loaded to YouTube.
[m.youtube.com]
[m.youtube.com]
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 02:49PM by tnsharpshooter.