Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Positive Ground Balancing a Nox

Posted by DiggaMke 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Positive Ground Balancing a Nox
March 11, 2020 06:03AM
Hi All
Are there Nox hunters who use a positive ground balance and do you achieve the desired results?
Also, how do you go about setting it up? Thanks
Re: Positive Ground Balancing a Nox
March 11, 2020 11:45AM
This has been talked about just a bit before Digga, and I think the consensus was....because of the way the ML multi-freq works and it’s propensity to want to cancel the ground effect on its own to some degree, purposely offsetting the GB doesn’t really do what you’d think, at least to any degree. I know I could set my single freq IDX negative and get a bit better depth at the expense of more noise in certain dirt, but the overall effect was detrimental because accuracy suffered. I don’t think trying to “fool” the EQX is a viable plan for productivity, but perhaps it could be beneficial in very specific situations.
March 11, 2020 12:15PM
Thats would be true in multi-mode, BUT it should work when using a single freq.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================
March 11, 2020 12:32PM
Thank you for the replies, IDXMonster and Silverfiend. It's much appreciated!
March 12, 2020 06:22AM
There are a few exceptions, but I almost never GB in multi, the machine has it's own ground feedback mechanism and I get ultra deep coins just fine and it performs well. Noise cancel seems to be more critical on the EQ.
March 13, 2020 01:25AM
Agree with Cal Cobra. Really why would GB be important on a true multi freq machine?? Past Minelabs (BBS or FBS) didnt rely on doing GB..... they managed to find tons of silver. Ground Cancel and go.
March 13, 2020 03:39AM
If I don't GB mine, it is really noisy from ground feedback. That disappears when I GB. Target signal strength also increases when I GB vs just having it on 0.

I can't really tell a difference by GBing on the CTX3030 but on the Nox I definitely can.
March 13, 2020 05:58AM
Daniel I've had a few instances where the ground was noisy and when I did a GB it cleared it up, but oddly 95% of my sites, I just noise cancel and I'm off to the races. The Equinox manual says on each mode that it samples the ground and does continuous adjustments based on the ground feedback, so I suspect that if you did a manual negative/positive GB adjustment that the EQ would simply adjust it as it samples the ground. That said, it is interesting that at some sites a ground grab does settle it down, kind of like doing a noise cancel if it starts to get noisy.
March 13, 2020 06:03PM
In many cases...…. the EQX does not need to be Ground Balanced. If you live in medium-low (2-bar) or low(1-bar) mineralization...… it is doubtful that a Grnd Bal will be required. Regardless of Mode. But...…. like Daniel said..... if you live in medium (or higher) mineralization ……. it is a requirement for best depth, best ID, best stability.
If you don't Ground Balance...…. and you are detecting some fairly bad dirt.,.,.,.,.,.,., you may find the only way to mitigate excessive chatter/noise/feedback...…. is to drop Sens to a level whereby....you do not hear/receive any chatter.
March 14, 2020 08:08AM
Thank you for clarifying, Tom... Much appreciated!
March 15, 2020 10:20PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
medium-low (2-bar) or low(1-bar) mineralization

Hi Tom, Can you explain what medium-low (2-bar) or low(1-bar) mineralization means? I detect the Florida salt beaches do not know this term.

Thank you!
March 15, 2020 11:04PM
A long time ago...… on this forum...…. since the advent of the Teknetics T2 and the Fisher F75.,.,.,.,., with both of these units having a mineralization bargraph meter.,.,.,.,.,.,., we have since started referring to bad dirt "levels" in our local areas ….by the number of 'bars' that the F75 or T2 would register on their Fe3O4 mineralization gauge. . . . . which is a LCD bargraph meter. Zero bars being mineral-free. And 5-6 bars would indicate severe mineralization.
March 16, 2020 01:21AM
Small video I did today late this afternoon.
[m.youtube.com]
March 16, 2020 02:06AM
Good capture...… good video David.
And really looks like (approx.) 4-bar dirt.
March 16, 2020 09:08AM
Thanks for the video!